HP SlateBook x2 and HP Split x2

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by kitenski, May 15, 2013.

1. crushna

crushna Pen Pal - Newbie

You guys are definitely making me re-think the best buy black friday deal...I will go to best buy and try to adjust the brightness to maximum and see if it is do-able. At that price point i would compromise....if HP does not give any discount..it is just too much with tax and all...doesn't justify the upgrade...Also with the overall impressions were you satisfied..It would really help our decisions if you give any overall impressions like good,bad and ugly stuff.

2. Duncken

Duncken Pen Pal - Newbie

The keyboard is too heavy to bring it everywhere, so it's a 2.2 lbs 13.3 inch tablet for me, I have three concerns,
    1. How long is the battery life without keyboard?
    2. Is there any way to use a USB device without the keyboard?
    3. Does the tablet itself have a micro SD reader?

3. TABLETBOOKPC_HYBRIDS

TABLETBOOKPC_HYBRIDS Scribbler - Standard Member

Battery life of the tablet appears to be up to ~8-9hrs depending on brightness etc (BestBuy reviewer jez77 "The keyboard always powers the tablet so you 13in screen is always at 100% (about 8-9 hours) & LONG BATTERY- 14 hours w/keyboard" & it does have a micro sd reader on the tablet but if 4.38 lbs is too heavy for you & you need a usb port on the tablet (& you don't want-need the extra battery life from the keyboard dock) you may want to check out the ASUS Transformer Book T300:

Amazon.com: ASUS Transformer Book T300LA-DH51T 13.3-Inch Convertible 2-in-1 Touchscreen Laptop (Silver Aluminum): Computers & Accessories

ASUS Transformer Book T300 Hands On at IFA 2013 - YouTube &

ASUS Transformer Book T300 - YouTube

Let us know your thoughts,

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  4. TABLETBOOKPC_HYBRIDS

I'm thinking about doing the following (in addition to reevaluating that BestBuy base model again before the awesome $650 sale):

Go to the Microsoft store & check out the full HD screen on Buy HP Spectre 13-h211nr x2 Touchscreen 2 in 1 - Microsoft Store priced at $999 would be $170 less than at HP.com to see how much the full HD screen adds to the experience. If you have a Microsoft Store close by you could consider the same..

Right on this website I was served this $120 coupon link that may work but I haven't tested it fully yet may help take some of the sting off that great $200 off BestBuy deal. Maybe they'll even be better applicable Black Friday coupons soon.

I too am interested to hear more from millertime108, hopefully he will share more of his experience with us & answer my questions at http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/hewlett-packard/56868-hp-slatebook-x2-hp-split-x2-6.html#post354539 before Thanksgiving. :thumbsup: :cool: "

5. Duncken

Duncken Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you for the reply!
    It seems T300 is the one I've been waiting for,1080p,USB, except that no wacom pen is a shame. Maybe the wacom screen caused lots of problem, I've been using EP121 and TF810, both of them had touch or display problem.
    About the weight, 960g at IFA september, but the official website shows 1.1kg now, maybe Asus decided to install a larger battery?

6. TABLETBOOKPC_HYBRIDS

I did go to the Microsoft store on Monday night that I will post about separately but if wacom pen functionality is very important to you, I played around more with the Surface Pro 2 (e.g. Amazon.com: Microsoft - Surface Pro 2 with 128GB - Dark Titanium: Computers & Accessories ) but bottomline I personally found the 10.6" screen too small especially at its price tag (they need to consider an 11.6" etc).

I was however very impressed with the 11.6" screen on the high spec Lenovo Helix (e.g. Amazon.com: Lenovo ThinkPad Helix 36984SU 11.6-Inch Convertible 2-in-1 Touchscreen Ultrabook (Black): Computers & Accessories ) but is not yet updated to Haswell, is pricey & its design still looks like a prototype in progress. The Haswell refresh could prove interesting but to date there is no perfect convergence device.

For 2 in 1s, I prefer the HP design over the Asus design as battery life is more important to me than USB on the tablet (the keyboard having USB is sufficient for my purposes). I do like Asus' listed 1YR International/1YR Accidental Damage/30 Day Zero Bright Dot/2 way FREE shipping but at 13.3" the tablet mode will not be the principal use case for me.

Let us know your thoughts-what you decide, good luck!

7. TABLETBOOKPC_HYBRIDS

At the Microsoft store Monday I played with HP's Spectre x2 13.3" full HD screen & was unimpressed with its screen. If this is the same 1080p 400 nit screen offered as an upgrade for the HP Split x2 ultrabook (plausible as the guides are cross linked for each Manuals for HP Spectre 13t-h200 CTO x2 PC | HP® Support ), I'm not yet convinced it's a must have. BTW, the natural aluminum color of the Split x2 is much nicer than the painted colors of the Spectre x2 IMO.

Last night I reevaluated that BestBuy HP Split x2 ultrabook 200 nit model next to my 400 nit HP Envy x2 each set to full brightness & remained satisfied with full brightness (despite the noticeable difference depicted in the photo below during my limited time with it):

HP ENVY X2 (400 NIT DISPLAY) VS HP SPLIT X2 (200 NIT BESTBUY DISPLAY).jpg

HP Envy x2 (400 nit standard screen) set to full brightness vs HP Split x2 (200 nit standard screen) set to full brightness.

I've read that HP reasons that they did not put a rear facing camera on the HP split x2 like they did on the HP Envy x2 because its smaller 11.6" screen would more likely to be used as a digital camera vs 13.3" & the reason the Envy x2 is 2x as bright on their standard screens vs HP Split x2 is because the smaller HP Envy x2 is more likely to be used outdoors. I'm sure cost is a factor as well.

If BestBuy offered the 400 nits of brightness full HD screen for $70 more I'd likely get it but I'm not sure it's worth the extra expense given this BestBuy sale + delays now that I've seen the unimpressive HP Spectre 13 x2 screen.

I think the $650 BestBuy Black Friday deal is a lot of bang for buck & I'll likely go for it especially considering the extended holiday returns until Jan 15th will give additional time to evaluate satisfaction.

If doubt remains, could also order the upgrades at HP trying this $120 coupon to evaluate as they "accept returns and exchanges up to 21 days after delivery for most products" however "Original shipping and handling charges aren't refunded".

Thoughts on this ?:hi2::cool:

Again millertime108 would appreciate addressing my questions at http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/hewlett-packard/56868-hp-slatebook-x2-hp-split-x2-6.html#post354539 as you are the only poster I know with the upgrades..-Thnx

8. TABLETBOOKPC_HYBRIDS

See my prior posts but I did order the HP Split x2 Ultrabook this morning at HP Split x2 Ultrabook 2in1 13.3" TouchScreen Laptop 4GB Memory 128GB Solid State Drive 13-g110dx - Best Buy "Shipping: Usually leaves our warehouse in 3-6 business days Store Pickup: Not Available" but if I have time I may stop by the store tonight to get one if available & cancel this one scheduled to arrive "Dec 04 - Wed., Dec 11"..

Good Luck & Happy Thanksgiving;)'

HP Split x2 Ultrabook 2in1 13.3" TouchScreen Laptop 4GB Memory 128GB Solid State Drive 13-g110dx - Best Buy

HP Split x2 Ultrabook - YouTube

9. Analytical Guy

Analytical Guy Pen Pal - Newbie

TBP_Hybrids,

I did almost exactly what you did, except that I bought the i3 $499 model online (4th gen, 128gb ssd, etc), then realized it had become available at my local Best Buy. I phoned Best Buy, and they said it was actually too EARLY to cancel my online order, but to go ahead and buy the one in the store, then cancel in about 24 hours.

I'm typing this post on it right now, lying in bed, holding it sideways like a tablet. So far, so good. :)

AG

PS. Here's the URL of the one I bought for $499:
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/split-2...-friday-sale-2013-computing-114654&cp=4&lp=48

10. MOFO

MOFO Pen Pal - Newbie

Got the BB i5 model for $650 and you can play around with the brightness settings, I use High performance mode and the screen is pretty bright.