HP SlateBook x2 and HP Split x2

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by kitenski, May 15, 2013.

1. millertime108

millertime108 Pen Pal - Newbie

I just purchased the split x2 with I5, 1080P upgraded screen, 500 gig hard drive in the keyboard and upgraded wifi off HP website. Got it for $1000 with a 50.00 off HP coupon I found online. took about two weeks for them to make it and ship from China. Got to say I am not real impressed with the upgraded screen. First thing I noticed out of the box was how dim the screen was. I had to adjust the brightness to 100% to feel normal in typical lighting situations. I was not aware of any screen issues until I googled after I got the split x2. What I am trying to say is I was not looking for a screen issue when I turned it on the first time. And I am coming from an Acer Iconia w500, which I swear looked better....maybe I am being picky....hopefully I can get used it the dimness. Also there is one cover that HP sells online that fits the new split X2. It allows you to put both the keyboard and tablet in the cover, or just the tablet and use the notches to hold up the screen. 50 bucks from hp's website.

2. crushna

crushna Pen Pal - Newbie

If you say 1080p screen is not bright enough....i am going to get the regular one...from best buy...i think...i will end up disappointed as well? what are your thoughts on the weight..since you have added 500 gigs in your base....doesnt it feel heavier..and how about your lap usage? does the wierd projection on the back put pressure on the lap....and how do you feel the whole tablet usage thing...since you are one of the first ones to get it in person..share us thoughts please..

3. TABLETBOOKPC_HYBRIDS

TABLETBOOKPC_HYBRIDS Scribbler - Standard Member

I think detachable is far superior to non-detachable designs including Yoga2 & weight is most important in tablet mode [2.18 lb (tablet); 4.39 lb (tablet and base) vs. 3.06 lbs for Yoga2 ( Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga 2 Pro Review | Laptop Reviews "Unfortunately, despite its reduced size and weight, the Yoga still feels unwieldy as a tablet. At 3 lbs., the notebook weighs almost twice as much as dedicated Windows 8 tablets, and after several minutes of using the Yoga 2 Pro in tablet mode, we needed to rest it on our lap to use it comfortably.".

Coming from a smaller HP envy x2 I too thought the split x2 was heavy especially the keyboard the first time I picked it up but I got used to it upon repeat visits & the tablet still seemed comfortable with 2 hands (one handed I agree it seemed problematic). The entire HP Envy x2 tablet & keyboard weigh the same as the Yoga 2 @ 3.06 lb but luckily I can detach its smooth feeling aluminum curvy screen as that weight would be an issue in tablet mode. When operating in laptop mode it will typically be rested on a desk or lap where the weight is more distributed & less of an issue. Also when I use the HP envy x2 in tablet mode I still at times rest it on my lap or table or for example when riding an exercise bike I sometimes rest it in front of the bike no handed or on my reclined stomach one handed but honestly if I don't need a full pc will just grab my 183 gram Samsung Note 2 smartphone that does feel remarkably light for its size.

The only time the full 4.39 lb (tablet and base) weight is likely felt in your hands is when you have to move it around from location to location & didn't feel that would be an issue unless that is a near constant element of your use case. Also the heavier keyboard of the split x2 won't make it as top heavy as the HP Envy x2 that can be prone to flip over at certain angles but I'm not making excuses it would be great if they were as light as the new 469 gram 1.03 pound iPad Air that seems far more comfortable than the prior iPad I bought for my mom's BD in June but I just find iOS & Android still too limiting for full computing needs.

I think it looks cool:cool: open or closed & far nicer than the other non-aluminum split x2. If Apple had their MacBooks with a detachable screen design they would declare it as revolutionary until then they just want you buying their separate devices without risking product cannibalization. As far as bang for the buck, that BestBuy $650 Black Friday deal is hard to beat & I'm still considering it vs upgrading to the full HD screen at HP..

P.S. Ultrabook is just a trademarked Intel marketing specification..

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  4. TABLETBOOKPC_HYBRIDS

That sounds surprising as I had posted http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/hewlett-packard/56868-hp-slatebook-x2-hp-split-x2-5.html#post352943 that the full HD screen with Ultra Wide Viewing Angles is listed at 2x as bright at 400 nits. I've never heard 400 nit screens described as dim but I do agree that the standard 200 nits did not wow me even after I made sure it was up to full brightness, no longer on Auto-dimming or power saving mode that perhaps yours still is?)

Panel 13.3-in (1920×1080), full high-definition (FHD), light emitting diode (LED), AntiGlare (AG),
    TouchScreen with MultiTouch enabled; 16:9 wide aspect ratio; typical brightness: 400 nits;
    slim (3.0-mm), UWVA, support for eDP

13.3-in (1366×768), HD, LED, AG, TouchScreen with MultiTouch enabled; 16:9 wide
    aspect ratio; typical brightness: 200 nits; slim (3.0-mm), support for eDP

Memory Memory is non-accessible/upgradable
    Support for DDR3L-1600MHz dual channel, 4-GB 1600-MHZ 1.35 v DDR3L 256-
    MB×16×8 pcs memory IC
    Support for maximum 8192-MB of system RAM

Storage Tablet: Support for the following mSATA3 solid-state drives:
    ● 128-MB EM (MLC mSATA)
    ● 128-MB
    ● 64-MB
    Keyboard base: Optional support for a 5.0-mm (0.2 in), 500-GB, 5400-rpm, SATA
    hard drive

More user guides I will check out when I have more time: Manuals for HP Split 13t-g100 CTO x2 PC | HP® Support

Good luck & please let us know how it goes..-Thanks:cool:

P.S. As far as the lip when on the lap I first found it annoying with my Envy x2 but quickly learned to spread the legs a bit as it does not run along the entire base or grab something to put it on like a thin surface-book-small pillow-clothing item if you don't want to spread out your legs a bit further. When on a desk the Hp Envy x2 lip actually seems to help prop it up a bit to a more comfortable angle.

5. millertime108

I would be happy to test the NITS if someone can point me in the right direction. The weight is heavy compared to most tablets, but this really is not a tablet, its a hybrid or an ultrabook with detachable screen(depending on how you look at it). The weight does not bother me. Maybe I will take mine into bestbuy and compare screens...I would say buy the upgraded screen as it only costs around $80 extra dollars but be prepared to wait two weeks :). Unless BestBuy comes out with a deal too good to pass up.

6. TABLETBOOKPC_HYBRIDS

So we can assume you have it on max brightness without auto brightness on in PC Settings->General->Screen-Off (adjust my screen brightness automatically) & in Control Panel->All Control Panel Items->Power Options-Edit Plan Settings (Adjust plan brightness-to max-Save changes)..?

I was going to suggest if possible bringing it into BestBuy for comparison (take pics with smartphone if available) but was hoping to spare you of that. I'm still looking into an easy way to measure nits but so far I've only been told about Amazon.com: Datacolor Spyder4Pro S4P100 Colorimeter for Display Calibration: Camera & Photo even if we were hoping there was some free smartphone or pc app we could download that could utilize the built in camera:)..

I agree this is a hybrid tablet not a dedicated tablet so if you don't think you need the power-versatility of a hybrid then there are lighter dedicated tablets that are less expensive yet less versatile.

The BestBuy Black Friday promo deal is additionally $200 off at $650 which is making the screen difference issue more important to ascertain before then (not too mention the 2-3 week wait for the HP.com upgrade)..

BTW, also curious if it arrived with Windows 8.1 or 8 & if the latter have you upgraded without issues or had to revert back & how you are liking it so far & if you'd consider uploading a YouTube video of your thoughts (even if you choose to remain anonymous)? - Thanks

I did find a couple more interesting links:

Meet the new Spectre 13 x2 and Split 13 x2 - HP Communities

Which x2 is Best for You?!?! - HP Communities

7. millertime108

I did happen to turn off the auto brightness last night and there was a driver update for the display. Both of those seemed to help. I still have it at 85-100% brightness all the time. I will try to get to bestbuy to take comparison photos soon.

8. TABLETBOOKPC_HYBRIDS

Control Panel->All Control Panel Items->Power Options-Edit Plan Settings (Adjust plan brightness-to max-Save changes) also surprisingly helped my Envy x2.

While thinking about how I was reasonably satisfied with my HP Envy x2 at max brightness (without power option lowering), I was curious of its nits rating & searches turn up 400 nits just like your upgraded Split x2 screen (2x bright as the base model viewable at BestBuy) which I suppose explains why the BestBuy model seemed dim to me & why I should further consider the upgraded full HD screen. Also as they both have the same resolution, the HP Envy x2 has higher pixel density as it has to squeeze those pixels on a smaller screen. The BestBuy split x2 base model screen (assuming its also at full brightness) seems indoor functional but without even the same wow screen factor of the Envy x2 from memory but when I go back I'll try to bring my Envy x2 to directly compare. I had however read that while perceived brightness is subjective, nits are an objective measure. Any photos or videos you take could also be a more objective measure of the screen comparison.

-Thanks & when you're in the mood we'd be interested in your overall impressions so far as well..:cool:

9. millertime108

The screen is definitely brighter now. It must have been the adaptive brightness(and maybe the driver update). If it were me, I would pay to upgrade the screen
    if the brightness is really double...regardless of resolution. Happy with the hybrid all being said. The edges of the keyboard are kind of sharp if you are laying in bed and trying to type(due to the thinness).

10. TABLETBOOKPC_HYBRIDS

Good to read, do you find the full HD res on a 13.3" screen makes some non-scaling apps & fonts too small? 1080p trailers look good? Knowing now that my Envy x2 is also 400 nits has me leaning toward the full HD screen 2 x nits screen, hopefully there will be a HP.com Black Friday deal too..where'd you get your coupon?

Does the 500GB HD always spin or can you turn it off when not needed or does it power down on its own with not in use? If it always spins sucking power, making noise, vibrating etc I don't think I want it, if it was there was an SSD option I would get that but I'm leaning toward just getting a 128 SD card & when I need more space & I have a small USB 3.0 2TB WD My Passport external HD. If it does power down on its own I will consider it as long as it doesn't add noticeable weight?

Updated Wireless option..have you tried to bluetooth the tablet when detached? Do you find it useful-worth that upgrade?

BTW, the Split x2 ultrabook made it on the Jimmy Kimmel Show last night: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGSN2G01vhA so HP is spending more ad $ on it than the Envy x2 that I guess had to prove there was a market for HP hybrids..readers here are early adopters & don't need TV ads but it's fun to see others are promoting what we're interested in here:thumbsup::cool:

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015