HP SlateBook x2 and HP Split x2

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by kitenski, May 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RaymondPJR

RaymondPJR Pen Pal - Newbie

I agree, that would be just crazy! Remember, however, that none of these screens is really scratch proof! I haven't done it yet, but I've bookmarked a site to buy a screen protector for my Envy X2. I'm being very careful until I get one.

2. raptir

raptir Pen Pal - Newbie

HP Communities - More of your SlateBook x2 Questions Answered - HP Communities

There's a post from an HP blogger saying that the Slatebook X2 uses plain glass.

Edit: Honestly, I'm not super concerned about it. My laptop doesn't have any scratch resistant glass and it has held up fine. I keep my hands clean so I think the majority of the scratches on my phone would be from transportation in my pocket and not from actual usage. Since I plan to store/transport this like a laptop I don't foresee this being a problem.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  3. raptir

raptir Pen Pal - Newbie

So, I received it. For the most part I like it. I'm a little disappointed by the build quality, especially the hinge. But it's quick and basically stock except for the few apps that were added by HP.

My biggest qualm is that there's no way to connect it to your computer. It's a proprietary charger and the charging cable does not detach from the wall adapter like most phones/tablets. This means no ADB/fastboot (which would have been a simple way to gain root) and no access to Helium backup without root. Still, I'm going to try it out for a few days and make a decision.

Edit: My tablet also has some very bad backlight bleed and it is right where the navigation bar is so it is almost always visible.

Another Edit: Someone on XDA found a link to a support article that references a USB to dock connector cable.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...2_usen_c-001_title_r0016&product=5399974#N257

It does not appear to be available for sale yet but gives me hope for an eventual release.

Yet Another Edit: HP has since removed the reference to a data cable from the support page.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  4. MSGaldenzi

MSGaldenzi Scribbler - Standard Member

I went to best buy and looked at the Split x2 today and am VERY torn. I like the overall look and feel but man its big and heavy. Its about an inch thick and 5lbs with the dock... thats bigger and heavier than my macbook. They had an open box returned one for pretty cheap too, so I could get a deal but I didn't bite when I was there. The screen colors were pretty washed out and the resolution was not compelling. Also the i3 is a little on the weaker side, but better than an atom that I carry daily now (samsung 500t).

5. raptir

raptir Pen Pal - Newbie

I liked the look of the Split X2 also, but keep in mind that the processor is very underpowered. It's not just an i3, it's a 7w SDP i3 specifically designed for low power tablets. It's definitely more powerful than the Atom Z2760, especially on GPU performance, but it's still going to feel slow compared to even a 15-17w i3 laptop processor.

That and the weight make it not so attractive. 5lbs for a 13" laptop is excessive. If it were Haswell, maybe, but as-is it doesn't seem like a great buy.

6. megmarie77

megmarie77 Pen Pal - Newbie

I just purchased a split x2 from best buy and am very happy. Mine has an i5 processor, 128 gig ssd, and optional 500 gig hard drive. I have one question though. I took my new computer out of the box and was surprised to find that the dock is silver on the inside. They keys are black, but the dock itself is silver on the inside. Every pic I've seen of this online both on bestbuy.com and on the HP site, they are black on the inside. How did I get this one? I mean, I really like it and I'm happy. I like the color. I even though that maybe I had a different computer, but I don't. it's definitely the split x2. It even says so on the computer itself. Did anyone else get the silver? Is it a fluke? Not sure why I want to know so much cause I'm happy about it but...

7. MSGaldenzi

MSGaldenzi Scribbler - Standard Member

Are you sure yours has an I5? I was pretty sure that the best buy models were all i3. WIth that said, if yours is indeed an i5, then you were fortunate to get an hp dot com version and that may be why the dock looks different. Can you possibly post a pic of your dock? Congrats and glad you like it, thanks for sharing!

8. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Actually, if you look here...

x2 split - Best Buy

...it shows two models and one says *new*. The one with the black keyboard says it is the 3rd generation i3 but the one with the silver keyboard says it has the 4th generation i5. Is not the 4th generation i5 the Haswell?

9. megmarie77

megmarie77 Pen Pal - Newbie

Yep! Definitely i5! Apparently I got really lucky cause only a few stores got it and it is brand spankin new design :) Its the 4th gen i5 Haswell processor.

10. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Unfortunately, luck has limits and it appears you used your allocation for the week so those lottery tickets are no good now.

Congrats! Let us know what you think of the performance and if you can, add to the benchmark data in the Hardware section...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.