HP SlateBook x2 and HP Split x2

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by kitenski, May 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MSGaldenzi

MSGaldenzi Scribbler - Standard Member

I am nearly 99.9% sure there is no active digitizer. That would require a layer on the screen which I am sure HP would mention in hopes to sell the computer. They may release a version that has it, but as for the best buy one on sale now with the core i3, it does not. As far as the audio problems, the hardware is different because this has HD4000 graphics where as the atom version has a different chip. I basically came to the conclusion on this that I will wait for the haswell version or at least an i5...

2. raptir

raptir Pen Pal - Newbie

Has anyone purchased the Slatebook x2 yet? It looks like it is only available directly from HP and I would love to hear some impressions on it. I have been waiting for a refresh of the dockable Android tablets.

3. LewsTherin05

LewsTherin05 Pen Pal - Newbie

I ordered one from HP and received it Wednesday...so far I am extremely impressed.

To give you a little background, I've owned the following:
    Xoom (original), TF101 Transformer, TF201 Transformer, Transformer Infiniti, Galaxy Tab, Galaxy Tab 7.7, Galaxy Note 10.1, Galaxy Note 8, Nexus 10
    Pretty sure I've left 1 or two off...but you get the idea.

In short, this is the fastest tablet I've used. The Nexus 10 w/ 4.3 (I'll be selling soon) is close until you start gaming, then it's a pretty clear difference.
    The screen quality is very good. There is some minor light bleed which is only visible on completely black backgrounds, and I've yet to own a tab that didn't have any. I'd say it's about average.
    The display is crisp and colors are good.

The keyboard dock is good, maybe not quite up to the Asus transformer level, but typing is easy once you get used to the smaller keyboard and I like the responsiveness and feel of the keys.
    That said, the keyboard is heavy, likely due to the battery, not much of a con for me personally.

Build quality overall seems great. It is plastic but it looks good and is very sturdy, no flex.
    I like the asus aluminum look a little better, but I'm very pleased with the HP.

Battery life is strong, sorry I haven't thoroughly tested this yet, just going off feel.

My only concern is what are updates and support going to look like for this device.
    As of yet there is no forum for it on XDA, so this device may not be rooted or it may be some time.
    Not a huge deal since it ships with little bloat, but it'd be nice to have the option for CM10 or PA.

I also wonder if and when HP will release 4.3, since we may not be able to get a port for it (see above).

Anyway, that's my two cents after 2 days with it.
    I'm traveling for the next week so we'll see how it does for that.

4. raptir

raptir Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you very much for the feedback. Honestly, I'm not terribly concerned about the Android updates. I went from a Nexus 4 to an HTC One and am happier with the hardware upgrade than the Android version upgrade. How is the speaker quality (specifically volume, loud enough to listen to a movie sans headphones?) and touchpad?

5. LewsTherin05

LewsTherin05 Pen Pal - Newbie

Speaker quality is good, volume is ok.
    It's plenty load with low ambient noise. In a noisy enviroment it might be a little lacking, but my hearing isn't the best...

Touchpad seems solid so far, very responsive.
    Almost a little too sensitive but if I remember right, all of the transformers I had were similar so that may be an android thing.

6. raptir

raptir Pen Pal - Newbie

Well I'm really tempted to pull the trigger on this. It's unfortunate that it is only offered as a 16GB model in the US.

7. rpetrasanta

rpetrasanta Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi @lewstherin05. Does it support usb mass storage? Does it support power enough to use portable hard drives? Also would like to ask if the slate x2 has robust video codec support?

I'm thinking of getting one for my sister. Hope you can accommodate my questions. Thanks.

8. raptir

raptir Pen Pal - Newbie

Since the keyboard dock has a full sized USB 2.0 port, it should work with mass storage. Keep in mind though that you're more likely than not limited to FAT32. It's possible that HP added NTFS/exFAT support, but that's rare in Android devices.

The Tegra 4 has pretty good codec support, but anything that won't play in the stock player should play in one of the numerous other options on the play store. It's a powerful enough processor that it should have no problem with software decoding even at 1080p.

9. raptir

raptir Pen Pal - Newbie

I did end up ordering this, but I'm a little concerned now that I noticed it has no scratch resistant glass.

10. MSGaldenzi

MSGaldenzi Scribbler - Standard Member

I am pretty sure I read it was gorilla 2... if not, I am sure its just a no-name scratchproof glass... I don't see them skimping on something like that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.