HP Slate wont communicate with usb devices

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by X Ray, May 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. X Ray

X Ray Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey guys. I was very excited to get my Slate only to find out that it can't do a few things that my HP Mini 1000 and every other desktop or laptop that I've tested on will do.

When using external hardware through usb that the slate needs to write to or flash its memory, it simply stops communication and doesn't give me any prompts or error messages as it would on any other computer if there were any communication or connectivity issues.

I was with my computer repair guy for literally five hours yesterday trying to troubleshoot this problem. We finally called HP tech support. In no way am I trying to bash HP, as this is my third HP computer that I've purchased brand new, but their tech support is clueless about the HP Slate 500. I don't think I need to elaborate.

The devices I've tried to use with the Slate, with no luck are the Alpine PXE-H650 IMPRINT processor and the miniDSP digital signal processors. Both these products have worked perfectly with every other laptop or desktop I have tried them with regardless of which version of windows I was running.

Does anyone have any idea what this usb communication issue may be?

Thank you so much!

-Ray

2. bo3bber

bo3bber Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't know the problem here, but I've had trouble with USB in the past on various computers.

Writing to flash takes a lot of power, and some devices are not up to the job, and fail it bizarre and annoying ways.

To test this theory, plug a powered hub into the Slate, then plug your device into the hub. If that works, you'll know it's the Slate that cannot provide enough power.

3. krustybaguette

krustybaguette Pen Pal - Newbie

If the Slate can't communicate with usb devices how will it be possible to us USB CD to restore the original software? I checked in the BIOS and there are options there to boot from USB CD and flash/hard drive.
    See thread: http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/hp-slate-500/36335-where-restore-files-2.html#post235918

kb

4. krelvinaz

krelvinaz Systems Analyst

Because not all USB CD Devices rely only on the USB for power and there are units which are designed to be very low power.

5. krustybaguette

krustybaguette Pen Pal - Newbie

I was able to boot with a Linux Mint Live CD and that enabled me to snoop around in the Windows file system where I learned what software is already installed and established user account names. However I was still unable to login using those usernames so I've ordered from HP a restore kit which they're sending out free of charge.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.