HP Slate Alternatives

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by nheel, Dec 10, 2010.

1. TheWerewolf

TheWerewolf Care for a bite?

I watched the Keynote and all I can say is - Windows 8 on ARM has to be THE stupidest idea to come out of Redmond. They already HAVE a version of Windows on ARM - Windows CE.

And what market is this targeting? They showed it running Office 2010. So you get a scaled down device running full windows software - what apps? People will either simply recompile their existing Windows apps to ARM - which means it won't be particularly redesigned for slates, or they'll go 'which platform to support - ARM with almost no units - or Intel which runs on a billion computers, laptops, Tablet PCs and slates?'

If the idea is support .NET and so have portable apps - again, we can do that now with WinCE 7. Why reinvent the wheel?

Sorry, I really think this will prove to be an epic fail.

2. TheWerewolf

TheWerewolf Care for a bite?

Unless you're P/Invoking to a Windows API that's on one and not on the other, then .Net IL will run on any platform that has all the assemblies required.

HOWEVER - as someone who's done a LOT of .Net CF development (the version of .Net that runs on ARM on Windows Mobile/Windows CE) - unless MSFT has done a LOT to improve it - or unless they expect you to develop ON ARM systems - it's a VERY painful experience.

3. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Lol!No he isn`t not unsure:D

4. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

I see a lot of folks posting that they are tired of waiting for the Slate 500 and will therefore be buying an Asus EP121 instead. To those of you thinking about doing this please keep your needs in mind while exploring other options. If you were interested in the Slate 500 for its size, weight, and abilities then you will likely be unhappy with a larger unit.

In other words, weigh the decision carefully in light of what you needed/wanted out of a device. Just getting it quicker is not a very good reason! Be careful!

5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I have a feeling that the Asus thread will look a lot like this one in a few weeks.:D

Bronsky:cool:

6. TWACK

TWACK HP Addict

I agree.

It might call for another version of "IT Guru" wanting his slate for CES 2012.:D

7. kneebuster

kneebuster Long time tablet PC user

Great point. The Asus is nearly twice the size of the Slate 500 (12.3x8.2x0.7 vs. 9.2x5.9x0.6) and nearly 75% heavier. If you need a laptop replacement then the Asus looks to be a good choice. If however you value portability, holding it with one hand to read, etc., the HP looks better.

8. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

It looks like there will be three Netbook Navigator Win 7 Slates to peer at today at CES; the Nav7 (7"), Nav 9 (8.9"), and Nav 10 (10.1"). Unfortunately none appear to have an active digitizer so....out of contention as far as I am concerned.

9. virtus

virtus Pen Pal - Newbie

For me usability is about more than size and weight. Responsiveness is a huge factor. I love the size and shape of the Slate 500, but the internals seem a bit underpowered and laggy for my personal uses - not terrible, but noticable. I plan to have typically have Outlook open all the time, a browser window, onenote, and Acrobat reader. Can the Slate 500 do that without being laggy?

On the other hand, the EP121 is huge. It's big and probably a lot more distracting in meetings than the smaller HP. But it looks like it's snappy enough to handle my typical workflow - especially with 4GB RAM. It's pricey, but people are paying nearly this price for Slates on ebay.

So for me it's a close race right now. Asus has entered the market with the intent to sell EP121's to consumers - so their supply lines should be a lot more responsive. HP has always billed the Slate as a side project for enterprise users and it was killed and resurrected a few times - so I understand their low supply. So the EP121 will likely be a lot more available, or at least latecommers like me have an opportunity to be at the front of the line rather than stuck with a guaranteed 6 week wait.

10. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Please, we will not fight together. 6 months ago we have no slates on the radar, now we have many. Real slates with pen. And two technologies instead of only one. And to extreme size 9" and 12" and probably soon middle size of 10". People who have the slate 500 love it. People who will have the Ep121 will love it too, like I love my TM2 that I use as a slate all the day (yes 2 Kilos always with me).
    So come on.