HP Slate Alternatives

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by nheel, Dec 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

Ativ Tab 3:

A few interesting things about this device:

• Samsung really believes in the Stylus. Nice! And they want people to try the Pen with their built-in note-taking program. Given the increasing popularity of their Pen-based products, we'll eventually get to a point at which Samsung's note-taking program will be more popular than Microsoft's One Note!

• That keyboard-cover seems half-baked compared to the keyboard-dock they made for the Ativ 500T. With the 500T we had adjustable angles and a more straight-forward approach. With this new "cover", the tablet has to be popped-in, then go through some elaborate Autobot transformation in order to be used.... Am I missing something?!?! What is the advantage of the keyboard-cover? Maybe it's going to cost Samsung $5 to build it and be sold for $75?

• The article says the device is 8.22mm thick. Was that a typo or Samsung is really using millimeters with 2 decimal places? [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

It looks like it that are using decimal points to prove how thin it is, kind of silly if you ask me. I would like to know what Atom cpu it is using. I am also a bit disappointed in the res, though not bad, I kind of wish it was 1600x900 at the very least to differentiate it better.

3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

It's just a Z2760. Nothing special. I still think this is a new design prepared for Bay Trail. With Bay Trail will come more DDR3 RAM and higher resolution displays. I think HD resolution is max resolution for Clover Trail.

4. bloodycape

:-/ So, this nothing but a regular Ativ(spec wise) in a smaller, and thinner chassis? A bit silly if you ask me, specially for the price.

5. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Spot on bloodycape. And Samsung will complain tomorrow about poor windows 8 tablet sales when it is their doing.
    Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express

6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I don't know - I think the Ativ Tab 3 has some real possibilities as the ultimate note taking machine, but I am really skeptical of the lack of a 4GB RAM/128GB SSD model. The keyboard cover actually looks pretty good to me, given my experience with the Surface Pro Type Cover, and since it is included in the price, a nice add-on. That 8.22mm :rolleyes:- thickness looks positively super model to me!

7. bloodycape

At $700, I would sort of have to disagree, since the identically spec'ed Atom based Ativ can be had for less(I think under $500 now), for just the tablet alone. Not sure what battery life would be on this, but I doubt it would be too far off from that model.

8. e-schreiber

You're probably right. Bay Trail is right around the corner, so it would be crazy for Samsung to release a Clover Trail machine without a "refresh" in the plans. But given the few months that separate us from October, I doubt the refresh will come before December.

9. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Last edited: Jun 23, 2013
  10. e-schreiber

Wrong link? :)