HP Slate Alternatives

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by nheel, Dec 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Do they just not have their facts in order?..>>

...Gee, that never happens in reviews, does it? Seriously, I'm going to suggest that you're overthinking this a bit. Based on my experience, the difference in inking quality and responsiveness between Version (or Generation, take your pick) 3.0 / 3.5 / 4.0 is one of degree, not kind. That is, they each provided a somewhat subtle set of improvements. My understanding is that updating the digital chips (Ver 3.0 to Ver 3.5) was thought to be a bigger user experience improvement than the update of the analog chips (Ver 3.5 to Ver 4.0). I heard that the analog chip update would mostly serve to improve the digitizer's resistance to "phantom touches" caused by nearby electromagnetic interference.

<<...multiple people on these forums also refer to v 3.5 versus v4 as being a different pen (less clackety)...it would seem that you can use the newer pens with the older digitizers.... right?..>>

...I have no idea if N-trig has renamed the pen. However, I can confirm that the most recent version of the pen, which I call "modern," is definitely greatly improved and hardly "clackety" at all. As for backward compatibility, every version of N-trig pen that I've ever tried has worked on all my N-trig-equipped tablets including the original XT. However, I admit that I have not had an opportunity to use one of the modern N-trig pens on one of my old N-trig tablets (but I'm pretty sure that it would work).

<<...There should just be completely different names for the digitizer and pen if they're being developed independently...This thing with a DuoSense and DuoSense 2 pen...>>

...The average consumer wouldn't understand and doesn't care. They buy "this year's model" or "last year's model." They assume that this year's model has more current hardware. That's what you should do, too. Frustrating, I know.

Note that Wacom doesn't really identify the vintage of their digitizer / pen, either...

Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
  2. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Okey dokey. That makes enough sense for me. Thanks. :)

3. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

Transformer Book TX300.

Another great review by Lisa! Make sure to check out the video too!

I disagree, however, with the statement about Asus "pioneering" the form-factor, as Compaq did it first (TC-1000, in 2002). Both Acer and Asus deserve some praise for successfully resurrecting the form-factor! Acer with the Iconia W500 in 2010, then Asus with the Eee Pad Transformer in 2011.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  4. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

5. e-schreiber

6. e-schreiber

Does that mean that "someday" we will not need to manually invoke the Tablet Input Panel any more when browsing the tubes?

7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I can't believe how few leaks there are about the new Samsung or Microsoft devices? If the NSA can get our cell phone data, why can't tech journalists get access to Samsung and Microsoft's secrets? Too many voluntary NDAs?

8. e-schreiber

Lenovo IdeaCentre Horizon 27. Review with videos.

9. e-schreiber

10. e-schreiber

Samsung Ativ Q: