HP Slate Alternatives

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by nheel, Dec 10, 2010.

1. nheel

nheel Scribbler - Standard Member

So this may not be appropriate for an HP Slate forum, but I'm looking to buy one right NOW (in fact I need it soon for work) but obviously that's not possible due to massive shipping delays.

Are there any alternatives to this? Has anyone looked around for something different?

In an ideal world I could order today and get it next week, but considering people who have been waiting since Oct wont be getting theirs til the end of the month that seems unlikely.

2. dceggert

dceggert Moving 'up' from iPAQ Senior Member

What types of things would you be looking for in this alternative? Can you go larger? More expensive? Does it need to have an active digitizer, etc.?

3. nheel

Essentially I'm looking for a lightweight slate with a digitizer that can run Office so that I can markup powerpoints, PDFs, Word docs and do some excel. I'd also like multitouch for web browsing and etc.

Ideally it would be <$1000, which makes the Slate a perfect fit, I posted this on the "Which Tablet Should I Buy" forum, but the only thing that came up was the Slate.

4. talin

talin Resident cynic

5. dceggert

dceggert Moving 'up' from iPAQ Senior Member

The only other TabletPC that has an active digitizer and multi-touch for less than $1,000 new (that I know of *now*) is the HP TM2.

The multi-touch precludes used machines unless you can find a Thinkpad X201t or HP 2740P used for $1,000 *with* the multi-touch screen option. The TM2, 2740P, or X201t are not exactly light weight, however.

The first quarter of 2011 may prove to bring some machines similar to the Slate 500 unless the manufacturers opt to not include an active digitizer and keep them touch only (like the new Dell Duo, the Archos, other windows 7 states with 'capacitive touchscreens'). Toshiba has a line of slates coming out and at least one will have Windows 7 on it. Motion Computing is rumored to also have one in the works as well as Fujitsu who has made larger slates for years.

Not many choices in the here and now, unfortunately, as you can tell.

6. nheel

7. nheel

Thanks, the market is indeed thin. I just can't for the life of me figure why a company the size of HP hasn't figured out their manufacturing problems...unless it's a supply side problem (n trig?).

8. talin

talin Resident cynic

9. species5618w

species5618w Scribbler - Standard Member

Actually, if you can live with iWork (i.e. light markup work, not creating anything complex) and don't need to take note, then the iPad will be a good choice.

10. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

As by now you know (all the gurus have weighed in) there just isn't yet a slate running Windows 7 except the HP Slate 500, rumored to have been available for about 39 seconds til they sold out this month. I am amazed at how favorable the user reviews have been - HP is known for finishing its testing on the first 5,000 consumers who buy their new products, then they fix the design/assembly problems 4,000 of them send them back for.:( ;)

So, if you really want a very good, versatile Slate running Windows 7, you have to think about whether you are willing to lug around 3.5 lbs AND a full computer, attached to a 12.1" "slate." If you would consider used/refurbished, there have been some awesome deals on HP 2730s (about 3.5 lbs), for under $600 still under wtty for 1-2 yrs, excellent Hydis screen, some with SSDs. These are same as the 2740 but with SL 9400 c2D cpu, a LV cpu that gets up to 5 hrs. batt life, double with a slate battery, $75 on eBay. Much heavier and larger than a Slate 500, but a honey of a machine for everything you would do on the Slate with far more power and options for less money (go down to the $600 range and don't look at more expensive listings; the market is inefficient and prices are all over the lot. I have advised two people who ended up with 2730s for less than $600 and they are ecstatic. Use it for a year, then keep it for a spare or sell it for the best thing out there next year.

You can do pretty much the same with a Lenovo X200, but expect to pay closer to $900, no touchpad, no keyboard light. Still a great choice.

11. swanlee

swanlee Pen Pal - Newbie

The EXOPC is a very good Win7 slate, no active digitizer though,It may not fill all of the needs of people that want an HP Slate but it is in the same class as far as quality goes. Inking is pretty good the hardware is very nice although it is bigger than the HP slate but also has a higher res screen.

specs on the exopc

11.6 inch 1366 x 768
    N455 Atom CPU
    64GB SSD
    4HR battery life
    Broadcom HD chip
    2 USB ports
    SD card slot
    sim card slot
    Mini HDMI slot
    Weighs 2LBS

It is a pretty viable alternative to the HP slate, I own one and love it, I was going to get an HP Slate until it went vaporware and had already ordered an EXOPC by the time HP re announced it.

It runs win7 very well I have it boot up now only using 430MB ram and tweaked out it flys through windows, play 1080P video flawlessly and I'd say it runs better than any netbook I've seen or owned.

Issues that may concern HP slate buyers

It's bigger
    It weighs more
    no Active digitizer
    4Hrs batter life

If these issues are not deal breakers for you it may be worth a look as it is a much better product than the archo's tablets.

12. johnmcd

johnmcd Scribbler - Standard Member

13. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Sorry guys, but unless it has an active digitizer, 2gb ram, Windows 7 Pro (Home Premium might suffice) and both USB AND SD, it's just not an alternative.

EG: Archos - it's even thicker than the Slate, slower processor and memory, no active digitizer, and what's with Lotus Symphony - why not just load OpenOffice (not to mention no dock, case).

Tega2 - $1253 for 64gb model and still no active digitizer, dock, case.

Availability (or lack thereof) sucks on the Slate, but the others are in short supply too. Best bet short term is the suggestion to fish for a sub-$600 HP 2730p on eBay...they exist and despite lack of touch capacity could be a good short term bridge to Slate heaven.

14. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The active digitizer is what makes the Slate special, especially for it's price, $800 for a dual mode capacitive touch and active pen digitizer is a kind of a breakthrough in pricing.

15. species5618w

species5618w Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes. However, unless you take notes or draw, the active digitizer is not all that important.

16. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

When I was reading this thread I was thinking the same thing as heatlesssun and DStrauss: these other tablets are not really alternatives to this slate. Without the pen, w7 on a tablet like this is not as friendly. It's not just for drawing - it's for lnput. I could not run my office's programs on an Android tablet.

I think the only alternative to this tablet is to wait until next month and hope that something like the HP Slate is offered by another mfgr., with a more powerful CPU and better battery life.

Bronsky:cool:

17. jgjackson

jgjackson Scribbler - Standard Member

The only viable alternatives in my mind are the convertable tablets at the moment. Either HP TM2 or a Fujitsu T 7×0 or 900. The HP 2740 isn't on my short list because it uses those really slow 1.8" disks. And at the moment I'm really biased against HP in general.

18. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I don't blame you. I'd be pissed.

19. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I can't even imagine the anger towards HP at this point - I was furious and I was one of the lucky few. In fact I have TWO HP dv series sitting in my closet DEAD because of the crappy NVidia graphics cards in 2006 and 2008, just waiting for my confirmed registration in the class action suit HP notified me about in November - bet I get a whopping $10 each...ha ha ha...Some might call me stupid for sticking with HP, but their business class hardware is really solid stuff; their consumer grade Sam's Club specials suck big time...

As for the 2740p, if it runs like my 2730p with an SSD it is the fastest computer I have ever owned. YMMV...

20. swanlee

swanlee Pen Pal - Newbie

Understood but after seeing some videos of the HP slate inking I find it does not appear that much better or smoother than writing on the EXOPC. I'm sure it is but I can't really see it. Inking on the EXO is not bad at all. I think HP should have gone the Wacom route