HP Slate Alternatives

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by nheel, Dec 10, 2010.

1. nheel

nheel Scribbler - Standard Member

So this may not be appropriate for an HP Slate forum, but I'm looking to buy one right NOW (in fact I need it soon for work) but obviously that's not possible due to massive shipping delays.

Are there any alternatives to this? Has anyone looked around for something different?

In an ideal world I could order today and get it next week, but considering people who have been waiting since Oct wont be getting theirs til the end of the month that seems unlikely.

2. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

What types of things would you be looking for in this alternative? Can you go larger? More expensive? Does it need to have an active digitizer, etc.?

3. nheel

Essentially I'm looking for a lightweight slate with a digitizer that can run Office so that I can markup powerpoints, PDFs, Word docs and do some excel. I'd also like multitouch for web browsing and etc.

Ideally it would be <$1000, which makes the Slate a perfect fit, I posted this on the "Which Tablet Should I Buy" forum, but the only thing that came up was the Slate.

4. talin

talin Resident cynic

5. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

The only other TabletPC that has an active digitizer and multi-touch for less than $1,000 new (that I know of *now*) is the HP TM2.

The multi-touch precludes used machines unless you can find a Thinkpad X201t or HP 2740P used for $1,000 *with* the multi-touch screen option. The TM2, 2740P, or X201t are not exactly light weight, however.

The first quarter of 2011 may prove to bring some machines similar to the Slate 500 unless the manufacturers opt to not include an active digitizer and keep them touch only (like the new Dell Duo, the Archos, other windows 7 states with 'capacitive touchscreens'). Toshiba has a line of slates coming out and at least one will have Windows 7 on it. Motion Computing is rumored to also have one in the works as well as Fujitsu who has made larger slates for years.

Not many choices in the here and now, unfortunately, as you can tell.

6. nheel

7. nheel

Thanks, the market is indeed thin. I just can't for the life of me figure why a company the size of HP hasn't figured out their manufacturing problems...unless it's a supply side problem (n trig?).

8. talin

talin Resident cynic

9. species5618w

species5618w Scribbler - Standard Member

Actually, if you can live with iWork (i.e. light markup work, not creating anything complex) and don't need to take note, then the iPad will be a good choice.

10. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

As by now you know (all the gurus have weighed in) there just isn't yet a slate running Windows 7 except the HP Slate 500, rumored to have been available for about 39 seconds til they sold out this month. I am amazed at how favorable the user reviews have been - HP is known for finishing its testing on the first 5,000 consumers who buy their new products, then they fix the design/assembly problems 4,000 of them send them back for.:( ;)

So, if you really want a very good, versatile Slate running Windows 7, you have to think about whether you are willing to lug around 3.5 lbs AND a full computer, attached to a 12.1" "slate." If you would consider used/refurbished, there have been some awesome deals on HP 2730s (about 3.5 lbs), for under $600 still under wtty for 1-2 yrs, excellent Hydis screen, some with SSDs. These are same as the 2740 but with SL 9400 c2D cpu, a LV cpu that gets up to 5 hrs. batt life, double with a slate battery, $75 on eBay. Much heavier and larger than a Slate 500, but a honey of a machine for everything you would do on the Slate with far more power and options for less money (go down to the $600 range and don't look at more expensive listings; the market is inefficient and prices are all over the lot. I have advised two people who ended up with 2730s for less than $600 and they are ecstatic. Use it for a year, then keep it for a spare or sell it for the best thing out there next year.

You can do pretty much the same with a Lenovo X200, but expect to pay closer to $900, no touchpad, no keyboard light. Still a great choice.