HP Slate 8

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by Octavean, Apr 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Octavean

Octavean Pen Pal - Newbie

New upcoming HP "Slate 8" is outlined here:

Business-minded HP 'Slate 8' tablet surfaces in leaked image -- Engadget

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  2. DaveP

DaveP Scribbler - Standard Member

Does anybody have any idea if a 10.1" screen is available from Wacom, n-Trig, or both?

3. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

This would be N-trig unless Wacom has pulled a fast one recently. The 'optional pen' sounds very familiar.

Just a quick note; if it is 16:9 ratio it is a non-starter for me. It will have to be 16:10 to even be considered by me but I doubt very much that it will be since the specs to support Win 8 are 16:9. So, another lost opportunity in my eyes.

4. Octavean

Octavean Pen Pal - Newbie

I didn't know Windows 8 had a 16:9 ratio specified in its requirements. I thought it was a resolution limitation. Although, now, i'm not quite sure if they are talking about an ARM tablet or an x86 / x64 tablet,....

HP will almost certainly have both ARM and x86 / x64 Windows 8 tablets,...

I just thought the HP Slate 8 would replace the HP Slate 500, so that suggests x86 / x64,...

5. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

Way to go with the numbering system, HP! Was Slate 3 too difficult? Joe Sixpack likes stuff that is easy to "follow". I guess it could be a lot worse....like HP SL8e. :) I believe consistence on naming schemes can help solidify a brand. Well, it's all a rumor so far, so let's see what their marketing department comes up with by the Holidays.

Regarding the digitizer issue....Wouldn't a digitizer by N-trig be a lot more bearable if paired with a decent (or more co-operative) CPU/GPU? I mean, maybe the disappointment many of you have with N-trig comes from their digitizer been used with an excessively slow Atom processor. What if the Slate 8 came with the successor to the Atom N2600? Or better yet, the future i5 CPU that will be used in Ultrabooks? Could, in such case, an N-trig digitizer become substantially more responsive...? To the point of becoming an acceptable compromise to you guys? I have no experience with N-trig, so I'm just proposing this "what-if scenario" to get a better grasp on how likely you guys are to "tolerate" an N-trig digitizer if the tablet came at the size, weight and thinness you wanted.

That mock-up looked nice.

6. Fxx

Fxx Pen Pal - Newbie

7. BurntOrngeLonghorn84

BurntOrngeLonghorn84 Scribbler - Standard Member

My what-if scenario is what if it ran ARM undocked, and x64 docked?

I realize they're different OS SKUs, but I see no reason why today's technology cannot support this. I mean, what a cool way of implementing Windows to Go.

I'm not the wisest guy, but I've yet to come up with that reason why not.

8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I think not on the N-Trig. I've used a second generation N-Trig pen on a Dell XT-3 w/a Sandy Bridge I5-2520M cpu and HD3000 graphics. If it wasn't for the pen, I would probably own an XT-3, purchaseld at a deep discount from the Outlet. I actually like N-Trig's touch drivers but feel that the pen is a failed design. I have to admit that I have not tried cleaning the contacts as others have done. That might change my mind a bit, but I dislike the feel of the pen while writing and despise the tip clicks when taking notes, so much so, that I won't use it in a courtroom, which was my primary reason for getting a digitizer pen in the first place. Most importantly, I feel that N-Trig has failed to support its customers. Those of us who have 1st gen pens are told sorry, nothing we can do for you. I don't believe it and hear the manufacturer saying, simply, there is nothing we are going to do for you, buy an updated version. I think, short of a monumental change in corpotate attitude from N-Trig, I've purchased my last N-Trig device and suspect that I'm not alone.

A more plausable scenario might be W8-Arm undocked and W8-pro x64 when docked.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  9. e-schreiber

That would make the device incredibly versatile given that lots of people just need a browser and they would benefit from longer battery life. By the way, does the Slate 500/2 come with HP's QuickWeb OS? My TM2 came with it, but I've never used it.

10. e-schreiber

I think there's a resolution requirement, but not an aspect ration one. Not sure, though.

I don't care for Win8, either, but I believe Win7 downgrade rights will be available for those with Win8 Pro licenses. Businesses aren't very impressed with the changes Redmong is cooking. And that would be a win-win situation for Microsoft as they would count any Win8 downgrade as a Win8 sale, anyway. That's what they did with Vista to re-assure the press and shareholders that the thing was selling like hotcakes. So, at the end, there's a small chance that some OEM will build something that will please you. ;)

Interesting times ahead.