HP Slate 500 With Windows 8

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell, Trade and Tablet PC Deals' started by stevedebi, Jan 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stevedebi

stevedebi Pen Pal - Newbie

1) Computer Name: HP Slate 500. Atom Z540 1.86GHz / 64GB SSD / 2GB RAM / 8.9" WSVGA Touchscreen / Bluetooth / Windows 7 Professional OEM (Disks) / 2x Webcams / SD Card Slot / dock / pen / power brick / folio case. This slate has been upgraded to the released Windows 8 Professional with a fully licensed upgrade disk.

2) Condition: Used, originally purchased in March of 2011. I am the second owner (bought in August 2011). I purchased an extended warranty from HP that is valid through March 22, 2014. I would rate the tablet as 8 out of 10; there are no screen scratches of which I'm aware. It has always had a screen protector.

3) See pictures. I originally took these pix to sell on the xda marketplace, but that got shut down at the end of November. I just found this marketplace today!

slate.jpg saleslate.jpg

4) Price: Asking $275 OBO. Price includes paypal fees and UPS ground shipping.

5) Payment: I accept payment via paypal.

6) Shipping: Only to the United States

7) Feedback:

I have sold a few things via Ebay, where my username is also stevedebi:

eBay My World - stevedebi

I have bought a couple of items on xda developers, where my username is - yup - stevedebi:

xda-developers - View Profile: stevedebi

8) Details / Comments: I recently got a larger Windows 8 ultrabook, so I have no real use for this anymore. I only used it a few times during business trips. It has an official HP warranty through March of 2014, and will come with a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard (both running off of a single dongle). It has a single USB port on the slate and two on the dock. The dock has an HDMI port. I am including a Skinomi screen cover that I never got around to installing, and a carrying case.

NOTE: I encourage you to look at the Slate 500 forum here to make sure this is the device you want. Windows 8 does not fully support the pen on this device (I don't use the pen, although it did work in Windows 7). Also, one has to use the highest resolution possible to support Metro apps, which means desktop pictures are a bit squashed looking. With the standard resolution everything looks fine (but only the Windows 8 desktop works). I loaded Windows 8 because I think the tablet runs a bit better with Windows 8. If you want full pen support, the original OEM disks with Windows 7 are included, but you will need to attach a portable CD drive, since the Slate 500 does not come with an optical disk drive.

Feel free to PM me with any questions.
    ----------------------------------------------------------

Attention Buyers: Please do not offer less than what the original poster asked for unless they specify "Best Offer" or "Nearest Offer". If you have a question about the price of an item please private message the original poster.

2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Decent asking price for a Slate 500 with a year of warranty left.

3. fmiralles

fmiralles Pen Pal - Newbie

I think the pen issue with WIndows 8 should be fixed by installing the N-Trig drivers (updated to Wndows 8).

4. stevedebi

You know, my handwriting is so bad, I never wanted to use my pen, even with Windows 7! I'll have to fire up the Slate (I haven't turned it on since December) and do some updates. I need to clean up the HDD anyway. I'm wondering if I can do a Win 8 Reset after creating a restore media - might be the easiest way to prep for sale.

5. sinni800

sinni800 Pen Pal - Newbie

What resolutions does this thing support? Also which one makes metro work but the icons washy and which one breaks metro?

6. stevedebi

Thanks for your interest.

The normal resolution is 1,024 x 600. At this resolution everything looks fine, but Metro Apps need higher resolution to work.

I have set the resolution to 1024 X 768, which runs Metro Apps fine, and will run Desktop programs like MS office fine. But my desktop graphic background is a bit squashed looking.

There is a good forum on this site discussing the Slate 500. Here is a link to my short post on the Slate with Windows 8:

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/hp-slate/53484-hp-slate-500-windows-8-a-4.html

7. sinni800

sinni800 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hmm, I'd actually rather want to have a more seamless experience even though I want to pay as little as possible (yeah, my wants are clashing here). What does "a bit squashed" mean?

8. Flaco05

Flaco05 Pen Pal - Newbie

Have the inking issues in the Slate been fully addressed by these W8 drivers?

9. jemyclarke

jemyclarke Pen Pal - Newbie

I have heard that HP Slate 500 is made for business consumer because I have seen this slate in many people. It has 8.9-inch capacitive multitouch display screen, 1.86 GHz Intel Atom Cpu, 2GB SDRAM, 64GB internal memory space and all these features are very latest which you have never seen in any slat with low price.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.