HP Slate 500: Where do you put your task bar?

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by jgjackson, Dec 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jgjackson

jgjackson Scribbler - Standard Member

Traditionally on Windows the task bar is on the bottom edge of the screen but the slate has only 600 pixes of vertical resolution. Seems like dragging it to the side might be more useful, except when you go into profile orientation. Is there a program out there that will move the task bar based on orientation?

Where have you been keeping your taskbar?

What about auto-hiding the task bar? I don't do that on my gateway 12" convertable because it's too hard to get it to unhide with touch, because of the raised bezel around the screen. Maybe that's less of a problem on the HP Slate.

On my Gateway convertable I keep it at the top. The main reason is I often attach an external monitor to it that is mounted above the notebook, so it's convenient to have the the task bar "between" the monitors. The other is when holding the convertable in slate mode in profile orientation, its easier to reach for the top of the screen than the bottom. It'll be interesting to see how the ergonomics work out for the HP Slate 500.

2. DaveP

DaveP Scribbler - Standard Member

Based on my experience with a Wacom digitizer, hiding the taskbar generally works because the hover function causes it to pop up. On my touch only T91MT, I agree with you that it's too hard to get it to reliably reappear. It will be something to experiment with on the Slate.

3. sonus911

sonus911 Scribbler - Standard Member

On the left side so that if I need access to the scroll bars, I can still do so easily with my right hand. Additionally, keeping it on the left makes task switching a lot easier than keeping it on the top or bottom, as all programs are always thumb accessible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.