HP Slate 500 Thoughts and Concerns

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by jgjackson, Oct 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. n0tdan

n0tdan Scribbler - Standard Member

But we want it NOW!!! /rushes to get a Slate :)

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Dan - you're on to something here.

When our wives confront us with "You DID NOT get another Chinese computer gadget!" we can honestly reply "Sweetheart, look right here on the side of the box -- it says F-R-A-G-I-L-E -- frajeelee. Its a French import!"

3. dstrauss

Leo - welcome to the padded cell of the tablet world. There are some really cool folks here, then there are ones like me. The discussion and tips have been awesome. You'll get hooked soon enough...:D

4. sonus911

sonus911 Scribbler - Standard Member

Well there's always something better looming on the horizon. My only fear is that better equals a flood of ipad-like devices. The Slate fills a void for many ... a void that has been left wide open for many years. Yes Fujitsu, and MotionComputing have been making tablets, but they've always been heavy. IN many ways the Slate is the first light device since the TC1100. If the Slate does end up being a limited run product (hope not), I really didn't want to wait until the next best thing came around for who knows how long.

The only thing that'll really interest me is a Windows 7 Phone Tablet that has full OneNote built in along with the better touch controls and battery life.... That's my hope, although I could see myself switching camps if an alternative came from Apple. Ironically, I picture Apple doing this before MS does and ultimately stealing away the largely untapped student segment. But I don't know if we'll see either the way things are going.

5. Rrbryce

Rrbryce Bob

I live in Weehawken, NJ. AND THE SLATE arrived at fed ex Newark,Nj at 2 am this morning so maybe it will make it's way onto a delivery truck today!

Bob

6. kuken

kuken Pen Pal - Newbie

First time poster, long time lurker here. Finally a slate arrives that's actually capable of doing more than just reviece fingerprints from some hipster-dude. So anyways, does anyone know if HP will ship this overseas (Sweden) if I call them? Or should I just ship it to my cousin who then could ship it to me? Also, I've read a few posts about HP's early units and beeing an early adopter, maybe I should just wait for a second generation? So many questions hehe but I really love the slate and would love to get one.

7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

What route did it take from China to Newark? I'm in south jersey (Exit 4:D) so my unit will probably come in through the same route. How long did it take from China to Newark?

Bronsky:cool:

8. Rrbryce

Rrbryce Bob

Dec 1, 2010 6:18 AM
    Departed FedEx location
    NEWARK, NJDec 1, 2010 2:18 AMArrived at FedEx locationNEWARK, NJNov 30, 2010 3:53 PMDeparted FedEx locationANCHORAGE, AKNov 30, 2010 12:25 PMInt'l shipment releaseANCHORAGE, AKNov 30, 2010 11:26 AMArrived at FedEx locationANCHORAGE, AKNov 30, 2010 8:48 PMIn transitSHANGHAI CNNov 30, 2010 7:59 PMIn transitSHANGHAI CNNov 29, 2010 11:11 PMPicked upSHANGHAI CNPackage received after FedEx cutoffNov 29, 2010 5:35 AMShipment information sent to FedEx

9. dstrauss

Sonus - I think you are so right on this it literally hurts. Everything out there, and coming down the pike, are consumer grade, entertainment first, iPad clones. I don't count the Dell Duo because they got it all wrong (other than the convenience of a keyboard) - too heavy (3.4#), too thick (1.13"), no active digitizer, no built-in SD card support.

Only the Slate put all the elements together in one package. I hope it has overwhelming success to HP doesn't abandon it this time around. I see somewhere in the next two years an HP slate with a 10" screen; 4gb ram; 256gb ssd, and switchable processors. Just like ultralights went to dual video cards - built in for battery life and an NVidea or other GPU for speed and power. I can see a high end Atom Pintetrail and maybe a ULV i5 that would be used when docked and on AC. :eek:

10. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

LMAO...but only an iPad is good for putting in the front window for a lamp! It would look cool and be the most useful there!