HP Slate 500 Tablet PC Now Available for Sale!

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by heatlesssun, Oct 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Just ordered over the phone! $882.67 total including taxes and two day shipping. Estimated Ship Date: 11/12/2010

HP Slate 500 Tablet PC
    (ENERGY STAR )
    XT962UA#ABA
    HP Slate 500 Tablet PC
    Genuine Windows® 7 Professional 32 bit
    ENERGY STAR® qualified, EPEAT® Gold
    Intel Atom Z540 Processor (1.86 GHz, 512 KB L2 cache, 533 MHz FSB)
    Intel System Controller Hub (SCH) US15W
    8.9-inch diagonal WSVGA HP Touchscreen (1024 x 600 or 1024 x 768 for some applications)
    VGA webcam (inward facing), 3MP camera (outward facing)
    Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 500
    2GB DDR2 667MHz on board memory
    64 GB Solid State Module (SSM)
    Optical drive not included.
    HP Slate Digital Pen
    Integrated 802.11 b/g/n wireless LAN
    HP Integrated Module with Bluetooth® Wireless Technology
    HP 2-cell, 30 WHr polymer
    Limited 1 year standard parts a nd labor warranty 1/1/0
    HP Slate Folio, HP Slate Cradle Dock

The guy I talked to had just sold one right before I called. He said he saw them already, almost two months ago he said.

2. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

I bet that's going to drive you crazy eh? I can't wait to read about your impressions of it.

3. triggrhaapi

triggrhaapi Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm curious as to why you opted for the HP slate over a TM2. Is the size that much of a concern for you?

I was very interested in that device myself, but I opted for the TM2 anyhow because it was much more functional and only a fraction more. If it's running windows 7 anyhow, I wonder where the added value of that device comes in.

I don't mean to come in all negative, I'm not trying to harp on your parade. I think if you really have made the decision to buy this device, it fills a need for you. I'm just curious what you found to be so enticing.

4. Synergi

Synergi Scribbler - Standard Member

He already has a TM2. I'm guessing he wants the lighter, thinner form factor, the better viewing angles, the ease of size for carrying it around. Now he has a small device he can ink on and leave his laptop(s) :D at home if he doesn't need the extra power.

5. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

i will too, even if i own a tm2
    the weight, the size
    and seven and a pen

before the tm2 i owned a eee 900, so the screen resolution is ok for me

i mainly use my tm2 in portrait mode, i expect to use the slate in portrait, to have a full page wide view.

my main concern : autonomy

and my main issue : i live in europe, no sale yet

6. Mhotep

Mhotep Scribbler - Standard Member

I ordered one as well. I own a Elite tablet. I'm a physician and carrying the heavy tablet room to room and making rounds in the hospital drags by the end of the day. This should fit the bill.

7. Synergi

Synergi Scribbler - Standard Member

Sounds like this will be perfect for you Mhotep. Those 5 pound convertibles can weigh you down after a while for sure.

8. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Boy can I relate to your predicament. That is why I bought a Motion LS800 earlier this year. I cannot wait to see the reviews of the HP Slate 500 so I can see how it stacks up with my LS...

Dan

9. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I have to admit that after seeing the grand total after ordering my HP Slate 500, it did dawn on my that I could have just gotten the TM2 for not much more. But its the size and weight that nailed the purchase for me. I'm a digital artist and I wanted a digital art pad that I could take anywhere, life drawing classes, the park, starbucks, etc.

I use a Lenovo X61 tablet currently but I wanted something smaller and lighter. By smaller I have a specific interest in something that could fit in a small carry bag in lieu of a regular backpack size that the lenovo requires. So ideally a tablet in the sub 10 inch category is ideal.

Ipad - No active digitizer, Capacitive Pens/stylus's suck, & the hardware limits the capabilities of the art apps.

Eee PC T-91 - No active Digitizer and the feeling of the screen is annoying.

HP TC1100 - Really sluggish performance (forgivable given its age) but the battery/power management of the device makes it unreliable. It can go from 50% to 5% forced hibernation over the course of 2 minutes. And that's with a new battery. And even though its a 10.4 inch screen, it almost matches the Lenovo X61's footprint.

LS800 - Perfect....except for the horrid photoshop lag (its the only program that has a lag for some reason). And it runs really really really hot...and because of that, the device emits an unpleasant burning smell.

Now the HP Slate 500 looks the be the perfect tablet for my needs. Active pen support and provided it runs cool and long...it could be the ultimate digital art pad.

I just hope the screen brightness hits at least 300 nits.

10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I have the HP 2730p, and the Slate 500 is on order (I bought over the phone because online order system was not yet working that morning - they told me it would ship 11/11/10 - an eternity in geek wait). Like all the others who chose the Slate over the TM, the main factors are size, weight, and convenience. I love the inking on the 2730p, but it is hooked up to my monitor and keyboard most of the time - not convenient for phone notes, much less undocking in order to take it to a meeting. The Slate is going to be my electronic yellow pad. In fact, I tested using OneNote on two 2730p units sharing common notebooks. It is awesome. While on the same network, all my remote notes were updated in real time on my desktop. If off the network, they would synch when I reconnected. This will make the Slate my go to machine for all meetings and short trips, plus it will be light and convenient at my desk for phone and other notes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.