HP Slate 500 Pics & Videos & Helpful Hints for New Users

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by DRTigerlilly, Dec 3, 2010.

1. TheWerewolf

TheWerewolf Care for a bite?

Now that's rather useful too...

I suspect that any app that hijacks the touch focus will mess up these gestures.. but they're still useful. :)

2. rockface

rockface Scribbler - Standard Member

Can someone tell me if the power brick works with 110V as well as 220V? I travel and would like to take it with me to other countries. It's nice having hardware that does not need an extra transformer!

3. TheWerewolf

TheWerewolf Care for a bite?

110V-240V Should work in Europe with a plug converter.

4. johnmcd

johnmcd Scribbler - Standard Member

Tips to free up some space on your C: drive:

- If you installed MS Office, it probably created a folder on your C: drive called 'MSOCache'. It's a hidden folder, so you'll need to show hidden folders in the File Explorer to see it (Go to Control Panel, click Appearance and Personalization, click Folder Options, click the View tab - under Advanced settings, click Show hidden files and folders, and then click OK). Office uses this folder to dynamically install options, which doesn't happen very frequently, and it's a couple of hundred MB. You can move this folder to an SD card and free up the space. If you've done this and run Office later and it asks you to load the install source, just quit Office, copy MSOCache back to C:\, then re-run Office. When you're done you can delete MSOCache from C:\ (assuming you still have a copy on your SD card :cool:).

- Adobe Acrobat Reader takes up a couple of hundred MB - uninstall it and use another PDF reader to save a ton of space. If you're using PDF Annotator or an equivalent, use that as your default PDF reader. Otherwise you can try one of the free PDF readers out there like Foxit. Note: In extremely rare cases a web site explicitly relies on the presence of Adobe Acrobat (like ADP's online pay statements) and may not display display content if it's not installed.

- Browser temp files can take a ton of space - change your temporary files folder to your SD card (how to do this depends on your browser - in IE 8, go to Tools/Internet Options, General tab, Browser History, Settings button, Move Folder button). Caution - only do this if you plan to keep your SD card in your Slate; if you swap out multiple cards you can screw up your browser.

I've managed to clean up over 1GB on my C: drive by doing these.

John

5. thadwald

thadwald Scribbler - Standard Member

Has anyone found a way to remap the ctr+alt+del and the Home key?

6. Rick

Rick Sr. Manager, Innovation and Experience

Yes, the power brick is international and supports both 120v and 240v. Just need adapter for the receptacle.

7. thadwald

thadwald Scribbler - Standard Member

8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

9. kongb

kongb Pen Pal - Newbie

Anyone have a factory image??
    My slate 500 was down. I need to restore my slate...
    i am not in US, i cannot call US HP, please help....
    thank you

10. pkirill

pkirill Pen Pal - Newbie

Why don`t install simple MS Win7 pro ? and drivers fron HP ?