HP Slate 500 and Windows 8?

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by Bronsky, Oct 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Other than the N-Trig drivers, W8 ran perfectly on my slate. If N-Trig releases a complete set of drivers, I would probably upgrade the Slate to W8. I'm waiting for a Surface Pro but the Slate still has some life in it. It seemed a bit quicker in W8 and the Atom could be overclocked higher than in W7. If N-Trig doesn't produce a W8 console, I'll just keep W7 on the Slate.

2. ships10

ships10 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I agree on all your points. The slate is a nice little tablet...I guess soon to be a rare antique!
    I think Ntrig and HP owe us the Win 8 drivers .
    I am definitely not selling mine. I hope to look back and be able to admire it many years from now. My first $2300 laptop bought in 1996 is still with me( well in the closet)...lol!

3. rainsey

rainsey Pen Pal - Newbie

I agree they should provide drivers considering the slate is only 2yr old. I've upgraded to a new ep121 slate however, I prefer the slate500 size and atom battery life. If drivers were reliable I would use the slate500 hands down... it beats carrying my a4 slate and a5 size xp18000 power pack, insert rant etc.

Cheers,

4. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Yep ... not many people are in the market for a tablet that has the battery life of an I5ULV with 30% of the power of a Clovertrial.:rolleyes: But, HP was really onto something with this design. It is the right size for a business tablet.

5. ships10

ships10 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

But, HP was really onto something with this design. It is the right size for a business tablet.[/QUOTE]
    Yes,HP seems to have lost vision and creativity! Their new tablets seem to have taken a
    Transposomal jump without any evolutionary or revolutionary creation.
    Perhaps their production teams need to take some biology / genetic classes
    to remain competitive in the real business world where survival matters!

6. Flaco05

Flaco05 Pen Pal - Newbie

Posted this elsewhere but here goes again. Have the W8 N-trig drivers posted in the N-trig site not solved the W8 inking problems in the slate? I''m a bit confused.

7. rainsey

rainsey Pen Pal - Newbie

short answer, no and we are still awaiting the promised Jan drivers.

8. Flaco05

Flaco05 Pen Pal - Newbie

Has anyone gotten inking in pdf annotator and Windows Journal to work well in Windows 8? Inking is accurate but awful laggy for me on both apps. It's better in Word and PPT, but still a bit laggy. The best inking so far is PPT in presentation mode, which is comparable to Windows 7. Are there any other pdf annotating apps worth trying here?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  9. Tourniquet

Tourniquet Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't think the slugginess has anything to do with the n-trig drivers. Its a problem with the graphic drivers. Since the release preview it seems that microsoft somehow forces its own software acceleration with WDDM 1.0 drivers. The upside is, metro apps are working now, even the ones which didn't work in the consumer preview. The downside obviously is the laggyness of inking. You can test it if you ink with your finger, its as laggy as with the pen.

The only workaround i know is, to run apps in fullscreen mode. If an app is on top and fullscreen, its a whole lot better. I tested it in Windows Journal.

10. Flaco05

Flaco05 Pen Pal - Newbie

You are right! Inking in full screen works fine in every program I have tried (powerpoint, pdf annotator, windows journal, jarnal).

Thanks for the tip.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.