HP Slate 500 and Windows 8?

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by Bronsky, Oct 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rainsey

rainsey Pen Pal - Newbie

Metro apps run fine on my slate @ 1024x768 with the stock intel driver. The only issue with windows 8 is the Ntrig touch driver (13 Aug 2012). I just brought an Asus EP121 to replace the slate 500 due to the touch but really i prefer the slate 500.

Lets just hope the drivers will be provided. I don't want to return to windows 7.

2. stevedebi

stevedebi Pen Pal - Newbie

I hesitated to reply because I'm no longer using my Slate 500, and it is at home. But as I recall, the Windows 8 interface looks normal, but the desktop side is indeed skewed. If you are using mostly Windows legacy Apps, I'd keep the display at the normal default resolution. The Metro apps won't function, but if all your stuff is legacy anyway it doesn't matter. When I was using my Slate with Windows 8, I kept it at the higher resolution; it really doesn't matter much for Business software, and I liked experimenting with the Metro apps.

3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

If there was any distortion at the higher resolution, it was minimal. I actually liked the finer resoltion. The great pinch to zoom in W8 made sure you could easily get the text large enough to read. I actually miss using W8. I would love to see a set of drivers so I could upgrade this slate before I hand it off.

4. racerjim

racerjim Pen Pal - Newbie

Don't recall seeing this mentioned on this forum, but in the FAQ at Ntrig, in response to a question about whether the beta drivers will be updated, there was this reply:

"for the time being, the Beta2 drivers are the final version and we do not have a plan to release a newer version"

Sad situation....

5. stevedebi

stevedebi Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a picture on my desktop background, and it looked quite squashed.

6. Bronsky

Without better drivers this Slate is stuck as a W7 device. Wish Microsoft would let me preorder my new Surface Pro and be done with it.

7. ships10

ships10 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Bronsky,..you sure?
    Would you not want greater battery life?
    I think this is a sad event in tablet pen support ..but never Ntrig again for me.
    I am strongly looking at Dell Lat 10 , micorosoft Surface pro ...more so since HP messed up
    the slate 'upgrade'..sad, sad , too....!

8. rainsey

rainsey Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi all,

Ntrig have responded to my support enquiry regarding ghost touches below and advise new drivers will be released in Jan 2013. I hope that they have fixed the performance and the calibration issues!

Regarding the ghost problem, we are now in a process of rolling out a new driver, it addresses several issues regarding performance.
    The driver should be available in a two week’s timeframe, and you will be able to download it via our website.
    Can you please try to perform calibration when not connected to AC power supply? That might help you issue.

9. Bronsky

Hopefully, they will have the console working in W8 so you can select Auto mode. Thanks for the heads up.

10. Flaco05

Flaco05 Pen Pal - Newbie

Consumer Preview Release will expire on January 15. Not sure what to do at that point, roll-back to Windows 7 or commit to Windows 8 upgrade. I like Windows 8 a lot, but it's obviously not perfect on the Slate (though I have been having good inking experience with Office 2013 preview version). If you decide to upgrade to a full version, you have to do a clean install and that may be a pain (not sure if you can still dual-boot). I also read that the full version of Win 8 does not work as good in the slate as the preview. On the other hand, the Slate is a nice little machine but basically obsolete, and it may be time to retire it and get a real Win 8 machine with inking capability. Any suggestions?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.