HP Slate 500 and Windows 8?

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by Bronsky, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Do you think that HP will offer a W8 upgrade for the Slate 500? I have had W8 running on my Slate for months but without a W8 version of the N-Trig console, there is no way to effectively ink in W8. So, is there going to be an N-Trig console update for W8 or not? If not, it's W7 for my Slate until I replace it. I'm starting to sound like a broken record.

2. Anarethos

Anarethos Pen Pal - Newbie

N-Trig seems to have the driver on ther web site for the HP Slate 500.

Since you have W8 installed, is everything workig correctly? Soud? Video? (HDMI through the dock), rotation? Buttons?

3. Bronsky

N-Trig has a driver and calibrator from August 13th on their site. However, you need the console to choose Automatic mode. I ran W8 in a dual boot mode until a few weeks ago. It ran great but because I need to use my Slate for work and need inking, I went back to W7.

4. cmergel

cmergel DBA by trade.

Bronsky,

I am right there with you. I love Windows 8, but not on the HP Slate 500. Specifically because of the lack of ntrig input control (inking/palm rejection) makes it in my opinion unusable. I have gone back to W7 on it so I can actually ink.

I am going to wait for the perfect tablet/slate, its out there, I know it. I believe.
    I am excited to see all the new ones that will be coming out. It won't be a N-trig.... zing...

5. racerjim

racerjim Pen Pal - Newbie

Isnt' there also still the issue that you can't run apps off the start screen because of insufficient resolution? Still, for $40, worth at least considering the upgrade.

Jim

6. ships10

ships10 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Can someone help me install Win 8 on the slate?
    I burned it to a disc but it will not install.
    It states "your computer can't run this version of Windows"....Ikes!
    I've spent so much time downloading and burning it to a disc.

7. thadwald

thadwald Scribbler - Standard Member

You need the 32bit version of windows because the slate does not support 64 bit. Did you try that one?

8. ships10

The download states win 8 pro...does not tell me if it is 32 bit or 64bit. How do I get the 32 bit download?

9. Bronsky

Here is the Enterprise Evaluation site. Download Windows 8 Enterprise Evaluation There are separate buttons for 32 and 64 bit.

10. ships10

Thanks Bronsky.
    I decided to go buy the real discs from Tigerdirect locally. I was able to buy it for $60 plus tax.
    The package has discs for both 32 bit and 64 bit .
    I am installing it right now....lets see how it goes.

11. ships10

Well, I was finally able to install the Win 8 pro 32 bit.
    However, even after installing the Ntrig beta driver for Win 8
    I only get simple touch..no pinch to zoom, no multitouch,
    and the pen does not respond.
    The UI of Win 8 is not all that good either....not sure why Microsoft went this
    route. It is very similar to the Thinix touch.
    Not a very creative upgrade..but we'll see
    if the new tablets are worth the upgrade.

I hope you guys can help me solve
    some of the above issues for me.
    Otherwise I might as well go back to Win 7.

12. rcsolomon

rcsolomon Pen Pal - Newbie

Mates: FYI, here's what I have learned about upgrading to W8. I had the consumer preview version for months and virtually nothing worked. Not impressive. I just downloaded W8 from Microsoft's site ($40); it installed easily but although it said it was installing my apps, none of them ended up on the computer. There were only a few (e.g. Kindle reader), so no big deal to reinstall. However, W8 doesn't work because of the screen resolution issue. An HP tech told me they will be releasing a graphics driver in a week to ten days that will fix the problem, available on the HP site. Although none of the W8 native apps work right now, the difference in responsiveness to touching the screen, swiping, etc. is dramatic: it's about the same as my wife's iPad. I can only hope that with the new driver, we will finally have a fully functional tablet with the metro interface. Fingers crossed!
    Richard

13. Bronsky

If you install the W7 HP Slate 500 GMA 500 driver in W7 compatability mode, you can set the resolution to 1024 x 768 and get full functionality in W8 Metro mode. Happy to hear that there might be a W8 GMA 500 driver. Hopefully, N-Trig releases a W8 compatable console as well.

14. rcsolomon

15. Bronsky

Here is the link for the Slate 500 drivers. HP Slate 500 Tablet PC*-* Download drivers and software - HP Business Support Center Download the Intel graphics driver. Right click on the driver and select properties. Click the Compatability tab. Click the box that will run the driver as administrator. Under Compatability mode click on "run this program in compatability mode." From the drop down box click Windows 7. Close and double click to run. You should have graphics capability.

16. Elgordo10

Elgordo10 Elgordo

I need a little help. I've got everything working (except the pen of course) but have one little problem. When I reboot the slate and the Seattle picture comes up I can't slide it up out of the way and log in using touch. I have to plug in my wireless mouse and keyboard and use the mouse to slide up the picture to get to the password entry. After logging in that way the touch works fine. I do have the non working N-trig driver installed. Any suggestions. Thanks..

17. Bronsky

You have the August 13th driver and calibrator installed? Any uninstalled devices in the device control panel? I did not have this problem with Slate 500/Enterprise Edition. If N-Trig would release a W8 console, I would switch.

18. Elgordo10

Elgordo10 Elgordo

There are no uninstalled devices. The August 13 driver is installed but I couldn't find a calibrator program for it. Maybe that is what I'm missing. Where is it at?

19. czvt7w

czvt7w Pen Pal - Newbie

For any info about the Windows 8 N-Trig issues there is another thread discussing that:- 'win 8 touch screen slow to warm up after turned on and wake up'

20. rcsolomon

It works!! Thank you Bronsky!