HP Slate 500: Accessories

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by jgjackson, Dec 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kingw

kingw Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't know if anyone has noticed, but I'd like to point something out. I went to the HP site to look in to getting a second power adapter/cord. As Rick has pointed out several times, the line cord comes with the power brick if you order it from the accessory store, but it also tells me it won't ship until 3/21/2011. From the parts store you can order the power brick without the cord, and it doesn't say anything about delayed shipping. So, if you order the brick without the cord, and then combine it with a cheapo cord from somewhere else, you'd get it really quick right?

I did that and got the line cord from ebay for $0.99 and $5 shipping. We'll see if I get it soon or if I'll have to wait too.

By the way- Thanks for all of the great info, everyone! Has anyone tested the Kno pen on the slate yet?

2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Has anyone tested the Kno pen on the slate yet?..>>

...There are comments about the KNO pen scattered through several discussion threads, including this one.

Bottom Line: Slightly easier to hold (IMO) because of the hexagonal shape, no Right Click button, black nib, sounds and acts the same as the HP and Fujitsu pens...

3. jgjackson

jgjackson Scribbler - Standard Member

And most importantly, the kno pen doesn't roll away when you set it down.

4. kingw

kingw Pen Pal - Newbie

I read through the whole thread and couldn't find anything like you're "bottom line." Thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for. If only Kno would start selling them again...

5. purezerg

purezerg Pen Pal - Newbie

wow, let me recall what i got for my slate,
    110wh external battery
    qstars bt 818xt gps
    sierra wireless 306
    x-mini speakers
    64gb sandisk
    and a 100% custom built aluminium case to house all the stuff, wrapped in felt and leather.

i am really loving my slate on steroids.
    because of the external battery, i now also have a mobile charger to charge my HD2. and yeah i ripped my cradle apart. so now all the usb and power are only connected at the bottom. got to take some pictures. i didnt want to add the keyboard, felt it was useless, if i really wanted a kb i wiuld have gone with a mini.

oh the aluminium case also acts as a sling bag or a backpack, depends on how the slings are attached.
    the only problem is now it's too heavy. haha. almost around 2kg in total. but hell, i can now use a standard hp laptop charger to charge the external battery which in turn charges the slate.

so far the battery is holding out good. 3rd day at work using slate only and i havent charge it yet. almost 27hrs without charging. external is almost drained but slate's internal battery is still 100%.

6. telecomgeek79

telecomgeek79 Pen Pal - Newbie

@purezerg

Nice! Pictures would be nice! Turning slight green :)

7. kingw

kingw Pen Pal - Newbie

It worked! I got my power brick and line cord at the same time and it only took a couple days.

Also- Target had this in store, mis-labeled (I'm assuming) for $2.97:
    Amazon.com: Incase CL57643 Neoprene Sleeve for Netbook 10.2", Slate: Electronics
    It fits the Slate, in the folio nicely with my thumbdrives. That all fits perfectly in my backpack/briefcase for work/travel, and I dont have to worry about dirt getting into the Slate.
    ...That'd be a funny joke if you knew I'm a geologist

8. gotapex

gotapex Pen Pal - Newbie

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  9. TheWerewolf

TheWerewolf Care for a bite?

.Net apps in general don't really require an installer unless they're modifying the registry as an administrator for setup or to make putting them in Program Files easier for the user. In fact, the original goal was to eliminate the use of the registry and move to configuration files stored in Application Data.

The downside of this is that often there is no 'uninstall' entry - you can uninstall by just deleting the folder it creates in Program Files or wherever you unpack it.

The .Net apps I write don't even have an installer. You just unarchive them and run.

10. rockface

rockface Scribbler - Standard Member

What you put your Slate in is highly subjective and everyone knows what is comfortable for them... That said, I'm really like'n the Noatak Gearslinger from Maxpedition. I was actually told about this backpack from page 31 of this thread when acerbic said it was overkill.

I ordered the black one - just seemed more business like.
    Here are the things i like about the bag.
    1. It has a padded Rear compartment (8” x 12”) which fits the Slate nice and snug. Enough room to hold the slate (in its case) but not enough room where you’re tempted to put anything else in there with it.
    2. The front pocket (7” x 7” x 2”) fits the dock and power supply
    3. The main area (11” x 7” x 4”) fits the b/t keyboard, mouse, external hard drive, cables…
    4. The water bottle pouch fits my coffee thermos perfectly!
    5. Lastly, being a sling bag, it can easily rotate around to the front so you can sit on the bus, or a chair without taking it off. You also get quick access to any of the pockets… so I keep my ID badge, phone and keys in it and can get to them by rotating the pack around front.

Bottom line, is it's basically a small backpack with one shoulder strap. It's not too small and looks like a normal backpack. The pack was designed for "military, police, and outdoor professionals" but if you get the black version of the pack and remove some of the bungee straps, it fits right into the office life style.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.