HP Slate 500: Accessories

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by jgjackson, Dec 2, 2010.

1. jgjackson

jgjackson Scribbler - Standard Member

Ya know, just like the iPad, the initial $799 is only going to be the beginning of spending money on this thing. :)

USB Memory Stick: I've already bought a 16GB memory stick for transfering files to the Slate and for creating a recovery disk.

SDHC/SDXC card: The slot is just sitting there, begging for something to be put into it, while the 64GB SSD reminding us that we really need some more storage.

External DVD burner: Copying DVDs to a memory stick or SD card is going to get old quick. Sooner or later, I'll see a USB DVD on sale and get one.

HDMI cable: This will be my first device with HDMI out on it. Unfortunately, my TV doesn't have an HDMI input (Old School HDTV), but I have a 21" monitor that does. I'll have to play with that. I'd really would have rathered that it had an RGB output. Yeah, that's not as high quality picture, but it's compatible with more devices.

Extra Cradle & Power Cord: I want one at home and work. Or maybe even two at home and one at work. I hope they make these available once they finish filling the backlog. It's not just to charge in both places, but a quick hookup to sound systems and a convenient way to use as an extra screen.

Extra Digital Pencil: Always a good idea to have a spare of something critical that's easy to loose in your travel kit. Although in 10 years of Pocket PC, Windows Mobile, and Tablet PC usage, I've only ever lost one stylus. But I was 2,000 miles from home and was so glad I had a spare.

Bluetooth keyboard and mouse: If I retire my Gateway, then I'll probably want this too. It's a necessity if you hook up a second, non-touch, monitor.

External Monitor: I already have one of these, but I really like having one with my 12" convertable.

Bluetooth stereo headset: why not?

Did I miss anything?

2. Mhotep

Mhotep Scribbler - Standard Member

Needs something to protect screen.

3. johnmcd

johnmcd Scribbler - Standard Member

4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Do you think we really will? I've had my 2730p for 16 months now, and no scratches from the stylus (although when traveling, it is protected by swiveling over the screen - but that's what I like about the folio case for travel). Like my iPhones, I like my touch screens nekid...:cool:

As for the rest of our topic - for now a spare pen and second dock/charger are the highest on the list. Surely we can find another source for the pen - but no indication on Amazon, teh N-Trig site, or even Google. What's with that?

5. jgjackson

I believe HP claimed to use the same hardened glass they use on the 2740. We should ask them what works well. I've never used a protector on my Gateway, and it's in slate mode all the time (except when going through airport security, those TSA guys love seeing how much stuff they can stack on top of notebooks and don't need to be confused more than they already are by a laptop with the screen pointing the wrong way). I've never had a problem with scratching it. I used one on my cell phone years ago, but decided that the protector looks worse than a couple years worth of minor scratches, so my last two phones have gone naked, and I've never regretted it.

6. lclev

lclev Pen Pal - Newbie

I use a Zagg invisishield on my android phone mainly because it keeps the finger prints down. I can also wipe it clean a lot easier. I have not noticed any problems with touch sensitivity. That said - I never put anything on my Gateway or HP tablet pcs and they never got scratched. I did fight finger prints so if Invisishield comes out with a screen protector for the Slate I will probably get one. That is if I ever get my Slate! (Supposed to 12/22 - and they reauthorized my card - again....)

7. johnmcd

Re: screen protector - For me it depends on how glossy the screen is - if the device has a really glossy screen I like to install a thin matte screen protector just to cut down on the glare. It helps a lot when you're dealing with lots of overhead flourescent lights (like in an office).

John

8. galingula

galingula Scribbler - Standard Member

I've never used a screen protector either, but the only opportunity I've had to use one was with smart phones.

Oh, wait, my car's remote start has one. I'm going to go rip it off

9. TheWerewolf

TheWerewolf Care for a bite?

I'm going to slap a 32GB SDXC card into it to get some storage.

I have an ASUS slim BluRay burner I'll use for optical storage. I don't think this puppy can handle BluRay playback, but it should be able to handle reading and burning BR disks.

If the folio they include is real leather, I'll have to either find a replacement or treat it since I'm allergic to that.

I want a spare power supply. If it's all one unit - the cable is wired right in, I'm going to mod the dock to take a standard power jack so I can use 3rd party adaptors. I would rather just carry one multivoltage adapter (although I'm betting it uses 19v like everyone else does for netbooks). I already have to lug around special cables for my iPhone, my Zune and USB cables.

I have BT mice and keyboards, but to be honest, don't see this as being a 'production' laptop - I see it as being a superPDA. I'm a programmer and I'll probably write a bunch of touchscreen friendly "apps" for it.

10. dceggert

dceggert Moving 'up' from iPAQ Senior Member

My 5 year old TC1100, 5 year old LS800, and 3 year old 2730P have no scratches from pen use. I, personally, would not bother with a screen protector.

My brand new P1620 received a screen protector immediately before I ever used it since the screen was soft like a PDA.

11. DaveP

DaveP Scribbler - Standard Member

One thing to think about for the SDHC/SDHX card is using it for Ready Boost rather than storage. I've been around long enough that 64GB is still a huge amount of storage for me.

12. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Since you are using an SSD, I don't think Readyboost is a necessity. I don't use it on my 2730p and it runs fine.

13. wubbzy

wubbzy Pen Pal - Newbie

14. AcSlater

AcSlater Pen Pal - Newbie

I read the specs a while back in October and recall that it said the slate supported SDHC up to 32g. This may be a noob question, but will it be able to support the larger SDXC cards? I have no knowledge of these formats and there may not be any differences in the two, but id rather not have to return something that isnt compatible.

15. johnmcd

According the HP's Quick Specs on the slate, it does support SDXC, which is backwards-compatible with SDHC, so you should be good with either format.

16. n0tdan

n0tdan Scribbler - Standard Member

wow that's really slick. I'd definitely be in for one of these if it could be tailored to fit the slate, or if one was made specifically for the slate.

17. dceggert

dceggert Moving 'up' from iPAQ Senior Member

This reminds me of the Samsung Q1 layout that I had. The case was set up very similar.

IMHO, however, try using it as a slate for a while instead of a 'convertible.' My 2730P was 99% of the time in slate mode, and my two portables (TC1100 and LS800) are slates 100% of the time. I no longer need a keyboard.

I used to have to use a keyboard with the LS800 when I wanted to use a control key for multiple selections in Outlook but I figured out how to map one of the hardware buttons to do the job!

18. AcSlater

AcSlater Pen Pal - Newbie

Can anyone provide a link to a tried and tested non-battery pen? I think someone in the other thread said there is an N-trig driver update that will support non-battery pens.

19. jgjackson

Only the battery operated digital pencil will work with the Slate. The non-battery ones require the version of the duosense that requires an electo-static field, which the HP Slate does not have.

20. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Am I the only one that thinks the Folio holds the slate upside down?

Bronsky:cool: