1. You may have noticed that TabletPCReview looks a little different. That's because we've moved to a new, streamlined platform, XenForo. Have yourself a look around and engage with your peers. Tips for completing basic tasks are here. Should you encounter any bugs or issues, please post them in this thread, so that we can prioritize and fix them. And feel free to let us know your opinions of the new site.

HP Slate 2 Tablet Hands-On Review: The Best Windows Tablet You Can Buy? Discussion

Discussion in 'News Headlines' started by J.R. Nelson, Nov 2, 2011.

1. J.R. Nelson

J.R. Nelson Site Admin

It was just last year when Steve Ballmer showed off the tablet that would become known as HP's Slate 500 tablet PC. It was a massive change of direction from where Windows-based tablets had been in the past, and a clear sign of the coming tablet wave.

Read the full content of this Article: HP Slate 2 Tablet Hands-On Review: The Best Windows Tablet You Can Buy?

Related Articles:

iPad in the Enterprise: Keys to Creating an Enterprise Mobility Strategy

Motion Computing CL900 Review: A Tablet PC for the Enterprise

How to Turn Your iPad into a Business Laptop

RIM Delays PlayBook 2.0 OS Update Until February

Do Tablets Really Need Security Apps?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2014
  2. Techgeek32

Techgeek32 Scribbler - Standard Member

Another epic fail. Same crappy screen and slower processor with worse graphics than the first. The form factor is perfect and had HP put in an IPS display with gorilla glass and maybe an AMD dual core processor with more RAM this could have been a monster product. They will have poor sales and the Slate will be discontinued by next summer. I would like to know how to get a job as a design engineer for HP. They get paid alot of money to NOT innovate. Good luck with this one HP. We have already experienced the poor performance of the OakTrail processor in the Q550 and were not impressed.
  3. Fishface

Fishface Scribbler - Standard Member

Slate 1 had no real competitors when it was announced but the delays and flipflopping made HP slip a critical opportunity and it just surrendered and lost the market to Asus and Samsung who actually delivered usable products for the space. Now, Slate 2, more of the same: "too little too late too friggin expensive". Looks like HP really doesn't know what to do in the slate space.
  4. watchdog

watchdog Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm wondering, as an owner of the first slate, do the new additions warrant upgrading to the new device over the first. I like my Slate as the digital art device I use it for, should I consider upgrading or wait for HP to better perfect this device?
  5. revmike

revmike Scribbler - Standard Member

I'd wait. I can't see any reason to upgrade. I like mine, but I wish it had a faster processor and a bigger ssd drive. So for now I'll keep mine over-clocked and with a 64gb sd card, until something better comes along.
  6. dceggert

dceggert Moving 'up' from iPAQ Senior Member

As a portable art computer, the new N-trig digitizer would be a good upgrade. How much better I am not sure. I see a difference in smoothness, responsiveness, and tracking between my T580 and Q550. If the N-trig digitizer is the same vintage as the Q550 then it would be an improvement. How much is difficult to warrant. If the 500 is working okay for you then there may not be anything to fix.

Too bad you cannot try it out somewhere. The best would be someone buys one and reviews it against the Slate 500, then you would be able to tell.
  7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

After seeing this permutation of the slate, I made a conscious decision to keep mine for another year. We have the slates running fairly well. NTrig is clearly flawed but touch is really nice. I can live with the reduced inking ability for now.

I am really hoping that the ARM quads and/or better atoms, such as low TDP dual core atoms like the N2800, make the next generation slates far more functional in 8.9" fanless designs. So, I'm getting a warranty extension for a year, a new keypad folio and a power adapter to hold me over till after W8's release.
  8. watchdog

watchdog Scribbler - Standard Member

Well my biggest complaint with the digitizer is that it has minute jitters and is not as pin-point accurate as Wacom. I have however been using the Slate for my art since I got it back in January and I am able to work with it pretty well (I certainly never had the same complaints that many here had when they first started using the slate).
    The digitizer isnt perfect, but I still have hopes that N-trig will tighten up their shot group and be able to give Wacom a true run for their money.