Hp Rip

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by kanehi, Jul 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kanehi

kanehi Scribbler - Standard Member

Well my tx1000z finally met it's demise. I turned it on and.... nothing! No lights and not even the charging light is working. This is the last time I'm going to buy an HP laptop! HP laptops are good lookers but the quality stinks!!! :mad:

2. pmatulew

pmatulew Scribbler - Standard Member

How old was your tx1000z? And how long did you expect it to last?

3. 970261

970261 Scribbler - Standard Member

And please do keep in mind that Consumer level PC's don't last as long...

It may be better to invest in a business laptop.

4. Tiezep

Tiezep technology enthusiast

x2 for the business machine suggestion

consumer laptops can last a while, but it takes proper care and some upkeep to keep going.

however a business laptop can be used by kindergartners, up and running 24/7, and can beat to death and will come out working with maybe 1 damaged component.

I ought to post a pic of zombie pc, the computer is missing screws, has holes in it, has been terribly abused and the only thing that killed it the first time was running games without thermal paste and a dusty heatsink after about a year of use... simple fix too, and it's back to normal.

tl:dr: business laptops can take punishment and last forever,
    -Tyler

5. alexinc

alexinc Pen Pal - Newbie

jesus, what a comment...! i wont spend 1000+ bucks on a machine again, that didnt even last 2,5years - modding included!!! no matter if consumer or business... hp failed here big time and hopefully lost not only me as a consumer.

6. kanehi

kanehi Scribbler - Standard Member

The tx1000z is just under 3 years old. GPU failure 3 mos after a 2 year warranty and HP didn't consider honoring it. They denied the problem with the GPU even though it's well known and they wouldn't budge on repair and wanted to charge $350+ for a new MB with a 6 months warranty and no guarantee it won't happen again with the GPU. I switched the MB myself (from eBay) and it worked for 5 months and now it's trashed completely. The tablet wasn't used heavily and only used for internet and e-mail. It ran hot even when applying new thermal paste. I hope my son's tx2500 won't have the same problem. I was interested in the tm2 but now I change my mind. My other laptop an HP dv2000 also had a MB problem. Where is HP's quality? They just lost me as a consumer.

7. 970261

Just saying the truth is all. Consumer level PC's have more "lemons" when considered against Business level PC's (don't know if quality control is impacting this one directly).

Was the PC you were talking about a consumer or business PC?

8. pmatulew

pmatulew Scribbler - Standard Member

Please don't misunderstand. We mean no disrespect.

It's just that in todays "question everything" society, blanket dismissals won't slide without some scrutiny.

In the history of every manufacturer some lemons will fall. Ford Motor Company didn't get to Mustangs and F-150's without making a few mistakes along the way. (Edsel, Pinto, Mustang 2)

Your frustration with HP is entirely understandable since you purchased 3 lemons in a row. The production group bowed to marketing pressure, cheaped out on the design engineering and crammed oversize processors in a small chassis with inadequate ventilation. Then they balked on the support side when the products all started to fail, (just out of warranty).

As a disgruntled customer you are certainly welcome to proclaim HP as hucksters. But they aren't the only name brand players with snake oil products they would like to move...

On the flip side..After the first failure, you had to have known that #2 and #3 were also potential lemons since they are designed exactly the same way. The device was out of warranty. Official responsibility ends there. Most times you do get what you pay for when it comes to business grade laptops. (Well, except for Dell perhaps...)

Caveat Emptor! Best of luck!

9. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

No disrespect meant here either but I have to take serious issue with your response to kanehi. The comment "you got 3 lemons in a row" seems a bit nonsensical to me. If you get 3 lemons in a row from a manufacturer, it bespeaks a manufacturing or design defect. Many of us recall the NVIDIA 8600M GT fiasco and, initially heard that these were merely lemon units when in fact it was a systemwide failure.

I think kanehi is actually being more understanding that I would be. Nor to I agree with your statement about manufacturer responsibility ending with the termination of their warranty. Even in your own state, the law does not permit a manufacturer to continue selling producs with known latent defects and just dump them on unsuspecting consumers. That is called Consumer Fraud and Pennsylvania law outlaws it. If there is a history of GPU failure in that unit, HP may have obligations far above its warranty.

I can assure you that I, for one, would expect my consumer tablet to last more than 3 months beyond its warranty period and, it if died prematurely, I would like to know from the manufacturer if they knew about this short lifespan of the product when they put it on the market. It is not enought to say that you should have spent more on another class of computer. If the unit is defective and its GPU leads to an early demise, I would expect a decent manufacturer to make good on its products.

Caveat emptor is not the law of the land in most states, including Pennsylvania. These transactions are governed by consumer laws and regulations imposed to protect consumers. Your comment that "Official responsibility ends there" is incorrect and ill informed.

Bronksy:cool:

10. 970261

Sorry, didn't mean to sound rude or anything like that. Haven't read that kanehi had to return 3 units back to HP.

For that, I apologize. (Have to learn to read through everything instead of skimming over it.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.