HP Responds on N-Trig Problems.

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by Bronsky, Mar 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

2. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

My Fujitsu T580 works well using the pen 90-95% of the time with some wierd erratic behavior interspersed in between on occasion. It can be irritating at times. I have also noticed no strange behaviors while using the touch function of the digitizer.

I have tried to analyze what is going on and have come to the conclusion that the issue is indeed a design aspect with the single digitizer layer that N-trig uses. Even though I have my pen option on 'auto' it can flip to touch mode without the double tap and the cursor goes kafluey (yes, a technical term).

If Wacom made a digitizer system in this size range I would prefer that, however, they don't. It is not that I feel I am 'stuck' with this behavior as much as I just need to cope with it as, like I said, 90-95% of the time it is working very well.

Would I buy another N-trig DuoSense? Only if Wacom is not available in the target device size range.

3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

This is what I was afraid of. I think they are really saying that the N-trig system is good enough for the purposes of enterprise use (e.g., checking boxes, writing short notes and drawing rough figures...), and that's all the Slate is designed for. They weren't trying to address the wider and more demanding arena of general usage (art creation, general business work, consumer use...) and they're not going to update or improve their design now...

4. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

This is the message I got loud and clear from HP and N-Trig. I'm lucky that my unit works well or I would be very unhappy about this notice. It's some really bad P.R. on N-Trig and HP's behalf.

Bronsky:cool:

5. TheWerewolf

TheWerewolf Care for a bite?

Well, technically - no that's not what they're saying at all.

What they're stating explicitly is 'Yes, there's a problem with some Slates. Yes, we KNOW there's a problem. No, we don't think it's an issue since for most users, it's not really a problem.'

Now, I think they're wrong - and and I'm sure most people who own one of misbehaving Slates these would agree. And I think they've taken the wrong tactic here... especially since this is literally the first time I've heard of this defect. My Slate doesn't have it - neither does Bronsky's. Is this a widely occurring problem?

In the larger picture, it's clear that the choice of nTrig over Wacom was a grave mistake. It's the single largest complaint point I've seen here. While I personally think some of the complaints are overblown, or just weird - the fact remains that the buik of complaints are nTrig specific.

It doesn't help that the big name graphics app makers like Adobe seem not only totally unwilling to support Microsoft Ink (the actual Windows standard API for ink and touch), but insist on WinTab, which is a proprietary API - the conversations with Chris Cox at Adobe are almost astonishing in how abusive and arrogant he is about this. At the same time, nTrig seems equally unwilling to just bite the bullet and license a proper WinTab driver and fix it from their end. The one they've licensed is really poor quality and barely works with Photoshop, let alone anything else. Not to mention leaving little debug files behind all over the place...

If anything - it's *nTrig* who seems to think their screens are for writing and business use only - it's clear they don't test it with any.. and I mean *any* art apps. Wacom seems to be the only one who acknowledges artists at all.

What makes this all much more bizarre is that HP has gone through all this before - with the tx2 line. A lot of people bought them for artwork only to find none of the major art apps support the nTrig. There was a *LOT* of yelling about this. Eventually, they replaced the tx2 with the tm2 which is virtually identical - but has a Wacom screen.

So why use the nTrig in the Slate?

There's also ample evidence to show that nTrig wasn't even up to making enough screens to meet the relatively moderate demands HP had for the Slate - most likely being the cause for the huge delays in production and shipping.

I still love my Slate - and I'm being quite productive with it both for writing and drawing - it's now my primary drawing tablet, but I would have preferred a Wacom screen - or an nTrig screen that was as well supported as the Wacom is.

6. purezerg

purezerg Pen Pal - Newbie

having own a intuos 2(4x6), 3(6x11) and 4(XL) and (M)

i dont see how can anyone use PS on slate. it's so underpowered. not to mention it's quite a small screen to actually do anything really productive.
    coming from a commercial photographer and retoucher that is.

i only use it to sign my documents so far.
    I cant even use it in bed especially since my bed has got the electric matt to keep the bed warm. the moment my butt touches the bed, the slate doesnt respond at all. and even the pen at most times. I had to resort to using BT mouse.

7. texasredrider

texasredrider Pen Pal - Newbie

Is there a way to test or see if my slate is one of the ones affected? What exactly is happening with the pen?

8. Steve S

<<...the moment my butt touches the bed, the slate doesnt respond at all...>>

...I'm not surprised. My guess would be that proximity of your body to the mat's heating element induces an AC field in your body. When you handle or touch the Slate, the induced AC field overwhelms the digitizer. A classic EMI situation.

<<...i dont see how can anyone use PS on slate...>>

...Me, neither; an Atom processor and the small screen have always struck me as a poor match for the demands of PhotoShop / Creative Suites. But some folks obviously want what they want.

9. Steve S

<<...no that's not what they're saying at all...>>

...I disagree. This HP statement clearly infers more than your restatement. Pending further elaboration by HP, I'll stick by my interpretation...

10. DaveP

DaveP Scribbler - Standard Member

That's the key - what do you need it to do?

I used a slower (1.6GHz) and smaller (5" screen) OQO to do everything I needed as a general user. I don't need graphics beyond PowerPoint slides and I don't draw, I scribble. As long as I can run Office, Acrobat Pro, EverNote, and Firefox - I'm happy.

I think part of the reason HP tried to hide it is that someone who wanted to edit photos, video, or music or someone who wanted to use drawing or painting tools would see it and say "wow, they took my Wacom Cintiq and mashed it up with my PC." Unfortunately, it's not all that.