1. You may have noticed that TabletPCReview looks a little different. That's because we've moved to a new, streamlined platform, XenForo. Have yourself a look around and engage with your peers. Tips for completing basic tasks are here. Should you encounter any bugs or issues, please post them in this thread, so that we can prioritize and fix them. And feel free to let us know your opinions of the new site.

HP repair service pricing

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dpnow.com, Feb 17, 2009.

1. dpnow.com

dpnow.com Scribbler - Standard Member

Since last Friday I have been droning on about the consequences of my tx2130ea being dropped and damaged. I rather naively believed that my insurance company would replace it (after all that's what I was originally told by them :().

I later discovered that the claims excess was £300, but I still expected to have to replace the unit, either with an almost discontinued tx2635ea or the new tx2-1015ea.

Anyway, today, my insurance company (for the first time) told me I had to get a repair estimate. I was verbally quoted, by independent HP-authorised repairers, as much as £450 just to replace the screen. Shipping and the cost of the quote would be added on top.

I wasn't happy about this, so contacted HP directly, and then discovered a standard, once-price-fits-all, repair service for £261 inc.VAT, fully inclusive of any parts, labour and shipping.

Obviously if you only need a relatively minor repair being done, this news is not much help, but I have been reading about people expecting to pay huge sums for replacement motherboards and suchlike, for which this standard repair service seems like a great deal.

And don't get ripped off by independents who are no doubt aware of the HP service and yet will happily charge much more.

On top of that, my insurance premium won't be affected as I now won't be claiming from them.

I have no idea how universal such a set price repair service is in other countries - it would be interesting to find out.

Ian
  2. 970261

970261 Scribbler - Standard Member

i wonder...

i have a brother who dropped his PC on the floor. no significant breakage except for a few crack on the vent/fan.

yet, now his wireless has gone quiet and the PC will not read it.

he saw this forum and would like me to ask for him if he should get the Accidental Coverage THEN report the damage a few days later.

It is a TX1000 series still in warranty for a month.
  3. dpnow.com

Hmmm... that's between you and your (or his!) conscience.

You may find there is an excess on the accidental damage policy (it will likely be some kind of insurance policy).

Just to clarify my earlier post, the £261 repair deal is apparently for any model HP laptop. The girl said certainly up to 3 years old, and that would cover any tx1000 model.

Ian

Ian
  4. Robtang

Robtang Scribbler - Standard Member

Id try and get a warrenty job done just on the wireless card (the broadcom ones hp uses dont exactly have the best reputation) if it was worked after he droped it as it sounds more like a normal warrenty issue.

Accidental plans do not normally cover cosmetic damage so even if he does get it, they wont fix the cracks.
  5. dpnow.com

When my tx1030ea was repaired (dead motherboard) under warranty they also fixed some cosmetic issues to part of the case. That wasn't even a damage warranty repair.

Ian
  6. 970261

willtry calling hp....but the wireless stopped working AFTER he droppped it, so i dunno...

that's nice to know, but he says that the wireless stopped being recognized after he dropped it...
  7. dpnow.com

I would think they would do a full test of the unit during the repair process. You can mention that the wireless stopped working.

My laptop that is currently on its way to be repaired has a polite note asking if they can do anything about the creaky palm rest to the right of the touch pad.

Ian
  8. 970261

called hp, got a native English speaker (rare in my case) and managed to get accidental warranty (2 yrs. for him) and get a replacement wireless card.

HP is still a hit'n miss on service, but it's either sub-par or excellent.

As a side note, my bro and the service guy went on for a couple hours as they were/are major Star Trek fans.