HP repair blows. Trying to charge me $800 for their crap.

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by vietiscool, Jan 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vietiscool

vietiscool Pen Pal - Newbie

My 2730p was working perfectly fine. I bought a slim battery for it and it wouldn't get recognized by the laptop. So I called in and they sent me another battery to test to see if it was the battery or the tablet. Turns out it wasn't the battery.

So I get ready to send in my tablet and I accidentally drop my tablet. The corner ends up cracking. Whatever, I'll just send it in. It's cosmetic.

Wrong. They call me and they tell me my tablet is on billable hold because there is damage to the top and bottom case and damage to the mainboard. How this is possible, I don't know. They quote me for $820 to replace this. I can get a new tablet for that much.

Then they want to charge me $90 if I choose not to repair it. They claim that there is damage to the mainboard which means it is no longer under warranty. This is some bull****. They'll use anything to try to get you to pay for their services. If you have any cracks then they can just use that as your warranty breaker. I called them and asked for pictures so we'll see how damaged it really is. Probably a little nick in the mainboard that doesn't affect any function and they'll use that to claim damage.

I'm definitely not paying $800 for a friggin new mainboard and new case when there's nothing wrong with my tablet. But I definitely do not want to pay them $90 to dick me around.

Seems like i'm in a lose-lose. Has anyone dealt with HP accidental protection? I'm seeing that as the only way I can possibly get a repair from them seeing as how they're going to great lengths to make me pay for it. Well i'll pay $100+$90 for a new laptop if that's what it takes since they won't give me a repair with my warranty.

2. 970261

970261 Scribbler - Standard Member

there were some other posts similar to this...and the only one working in the user's favor all the way is to get accidental protection BEFORE u send it in for repairs. wait a few days and THEN call HP to send it in for repairs.

since accidental is covering the "cosmetic" damage, and the laptop's covered by warranty, it shouldn't be a problem.

in ur case tho...best bet might be a new laptop instead of repair if u dont want to pay them that much.

3. vietiscool

i was planning to get the accidental protection before i sent it in but since i thought my warranty would cover it there'd be no point of buying it. well that was a big mistake.

i'm buying an accidental protection plan now and if this doesn't get worked out somehow then i'm sure in the next few months my tablet will end up in a different accident that will get covered by my plan.

4. cloudnine

cloudnine Scribbler - Standard Member

AFAIK, it's your fault. You tried to sneak in warranty repair on an accidental claim and got caught for it. It's commonsense that warranty coverage does not apply to accidental claims (If you crash your car, do you bring it back to the dealer to have it covered?).

5. vietiscool

like I said, the problem was there before i dropped it. After i dropped it there was only cosmetic damage and the laptop works perfectly. I sent it in for the same problem that the support case was already open for (wouldn't recognize the battery) and now they're pawning the problem off on the crack when the problem was already there.

now i may be wrong and the drop could have damaged the main board, but i do not think a drop can damage the main board significantly enough for them to slap me with heavy fees to replace the whole thing when nothing is wrong functionally.

6. adam.mt

adam.mt Super Moderator Senior Member

A difficult one. Guess your best bet is to try and get them to detail the faults they've found and ask if you can be selective about what they fix, which is what you wanted (battery problem fixed, forget about the cosmetics).

If they're not willing to do this then you either have to pay the $90 to get it back and live without the slim battery, or give up and buy a new tablet altogether. Well, that's what makes most sense I think.

Sure, they might end up being a bit uncooperative but to be fair to them perhaps you should have checked/informed them that your machine also had cosmetic damage that you didn't need fixing, and whether that was still acceptable? Perhaps they have a policy of only 'fixing to new' and not 'selective repair'. Guess that's a possible drawback of a manufacturer warranty?

Maybe selective repair is possible, they just don't know whether that's what you want. Have you got back in touch with them and queried this?

7. timothyb

timothyb Pen Pal - Newbie

I can't say I blame them. If a company sees physical damage they're most likely going to deny any warranty since the malfunction could be related to it.

Even Apple does this with iPhones. Being something you carry around everywhere, it's easy to drop and scuff up the sides. But if you did that, and it stops working or has an issue totally unrelated months later, that can be a problem with the warranty. The Apple store will deny a replacement when they see the scratches and assume it was abused.

Also, how would buying and accidental plan now help? They already have the laptop, and wouldn't the plan need 3 months before a claim can be made?

What did they say when you told them the Battery issue was before you dropped it, as it happened while packing it, and still worked, so you didn't think it was an issue, just cosmetic? There's got to be a way to reason with them to drop the $90 fee and return it. You only wanted the battery issue to be fixed that was a problem to begin with, not replace every part of the PC.

8. Thokas

Thokas Too many laptops...

I work with HP everyday with warranty and ADH claims. HP inspects each unit before we're allowed to repair them under warranty. If a unit has signs of any type of drop damage, it is denied coverage and we cannot repair it under MFG warranty. They always have been this way. I've never seen HP do things on a special case basis ether. Rules are basically set in stone when it comes to coverage.

The cost to repair is about average. Assuming their labor cost is about $150. Parts are that expensive unfortunately. I have heard of people purchasing the ADH before they send it in, and getting it covered.

Only other option I can think of is maybe purchasing a unit off Ebay with a damaged screen. Then swapping the plastics and the system board.

9. vietiscool

Alright, good news. After discussing back and forth for over a week (with a very nice HP rep named Darcy), I was finally able to get them to do the repairs.

Here's a full overview of what went on:

I have a 2730p that has cosmetic damage (cracked in the corner). I sent it in for repair to recognize the slim battery (motherboard repair) which was already there before the cosmetic damage.

HP called me and tried to charge me $800 to replace everything (case and motherboard. basically a new computer)

I told them that my motherboard was working perfectly fine and it was only cosmetic damage. Darcy says she will talk to the repair facility and see if it's just the case that's damaged or the motehrboard that is damaged too.

She calls back and says "unfortunately the repair facility has determined that the motherboard is also damaged." I ask for pictures to show the motherboard damage.

A day later they email me with pictures of my 2730p with tape over the crack (i put the tape on there). This shows me that they have not even opened it and decided simply that since there was cosmetic damage that must have caused motherboard damage (like i said, my 2730p was working perfectly except for the battery issue that was always there)

Darcy calls me back and I tell her that I want pictures of the motherboard damage because from the pictures I received they haven't even opened it so how are they charging for a complete motherboard replacement?

She calls me back today and tells me that after opening the 2730p they've decided that there is no motherboard damage and I can only be charged for the cosmetic damage. It is $200 to replace the case. I decline. Now I'm getting the repair that I wanted in-warranty like it should be.

And I understand why they would say that the cosmetic damage could be related to the motherboard damage but they clearly separated the warranties into 2 different sections. Every time they talked to me they claimed that it voided the case warranty and the motherboard warranty. If they're gonna split it up then I have to argue that the case and the motherboard are separate. Damage to one does not mean damage to the other.

It's like a desktop case. If i smash my desktop case in with a hammer, the motherboard and everything inside will still be covered by their own warranty if my damage to the case hasn't affected it right?

Anyways, happy ending.

10. xttx

xttx Pen Pal - Newbie

Good Job. If your story happen on me, I may end up paying them the $90 and suffer the laptop with battery issue

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.