HP QUICKPLAY - Give me one reason why I shouldn't uninstall this

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by RoyalBean, Jul 11, 2008.

1. int21

int21 Pen Pal - Newbie

Just want to help. I read this article and move back.

I redefined the 2 keys to page up and page down.

Since I like to read with my tx2510us flipped. But it is always difficult to turn page with pen.

I just don't understand why HP doesn't use the standard API so we can customize the keys in Tablet PC Setting in Control Panel.

The following is the original article. Thanks to Danluong

http://danluong.com/2008/04/24/customizing-the-tx1000tx2000-quickplay-buttons/

----------Customizing the tx1000/tx2000 QuickPlay Buttons----------
    Since I’ve had my tx2000, I’ve wanted a way to customize the QuickPlay buttons that are on the unit, but HP certainly doesn’t make it easy. After doing some reading online and stumbling on to the forum thread at TabletPCReview.com, along with doing a little research of my own (and thanks to the user "danegreat"), I’ve been able to figure out a method of using two programs Launch and AutoItv3 to assign any functionality within Windows Mobility Center (for Windows Vista) to the keys. In this example, I will be assigning the keys to control the screen brightness. Interested in how to do this for yourself? Well, read on!

1. The first step you have to complete is to install the QuickPlay program from HP if you haven’t already.
    2. Download the programs I mentioned earlier, and for your convenience, here are the links to the download pages for Launch and AutoItv3.
    3. Extract the Launch program to your QuickPlay directory. I’m using Windows Vista x64 so my path is: "C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\QuickPlay\" yours will be similar.
    4. Rename launch.exe and launch.ini to QP.exe and QP.ini, respectively, and also copy the "C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3\AutoIt3.exe" (32-bit) or "AutoIt3_x64.exe" (64-bit) into the HP QuickPlay directory.
    5. Now into QP.ini, type and save the following (replacing AutoIt3_64.exe with AutoIt3.exe if you are running a 32-bit version of Windows):

[my_dvd]
    program=AutoIt3_x64.exe "C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\QuickPlay\AutoIt.au3"

[root]
    program=AutoIt3_x64.exe "C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\QuickPlay\AutoIt2.au3"

Once the QP.ini is saved with these commands, when the DVD QuickPlay button is pressed, the first AutoIt script (which I will be talking about shortly) "AutoIt.au3" will be run, while if the other QuickPlay button is pressed, the second script "AutoIt2.au3" will be run. This assumes that the scripts are located in the "C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\QuickPlay\" directory.
    6. Now all that is left to do is to create the scripts so open up notepad and type in:

Run("mblctr.exe")
    WinWaitActive("Windows Mobility Center")
    ControlSend("Windows Mobility Center", "", "[CLASS:msctls_trackbar32; INSTANCE:1]", "{PGUP}")
    WinClose("Windows Mobility Center")

Save this file as "AutoIt.au3" and copy it into the "C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\QuickPlay\" directory. Next, replace the {PGUP} in the script with {PGDN} and save the new file as "AutoIt2.au3" and put it in the directory.
    7. At this point, you should be able to press the QuickPlay buttons and adjust the screen brightness! Woohoo! There is a slight delay while the Mobility Center window flashes by, but overall it works like a charm. So how does the script work, you may ask? Well, each line in the script performs a different function. Line 1) Opens the Windows Mobility Center, Line 2) Waits for the window to become active, Line 3) Sends a keyboard command (either PGUP or PGDN) to the screen brightness slider, while Line 4) Closes the Windows Mobility Center.

Windows Mobility Center

Using the AutoIt Window Info tool allowed me to find the values I needed to fill in for the "ControlSend" function, which sends a keystroke {PGUP} or {PGDN} in this case, to the targeted windows control i.e. the brightness slider. If you are interested in learning more about customizing the QuickPlay buttons to suit your needs and edit other settings in the Windows Mobility Center, or to do other tasks, I suggest taking a look at the documentation for AutoIt3.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  2. shrek4224

shrek4224 Pen Pal - Newbie

[QUOTE
    Create a batch file named QP.bat
    In my test, I just inserted the text "C:\windows\system32\notepad.exe"
    Then download this little utility:
    http://www.computerhope.com/download/utility/Bat_To_Exe_Converter.zip

It's not elegant, but it beats not having the buttons do anything at all.[/QUOTE]

I am not sure if this list is still getting a lot of run but...
    this little portion works 100% and is easy but there is a catch. I use FirstClass e-mail at work and really wanted to be able to launch it, I tried a ton of things, then I had an idea. I took the .exe file from the FirstClass folder and copied it into C:\windows\system32\_______.exe and used the batch file program in this link. It worked perfectly. I also chose the ghost option so that the run window does not load. I tried it with several other programs and they all worked great.
    Hope this helps some of you that are still looking.

3. ilya11naza

ilya11naza Pen Pal - Newbie

Is there a way to assign CTRL and ALT to the buttons?
    Thanks!

4. R1C47

R1C47 Scribbler - Standard Member

Could you give an example, or screenshot of how it looks like?
    In mine it appears empty.(attachment)

Attached Files:

5. trihy

trihy Scribbler - Standard Member

So, there is a way to change "quickplay" and "dvd" button, without installing quickplay soft?

6. Bernok

Bernok Scribbler - Standard Member

That would be nice.

All the use I have so far for there is turning on the computer. It boots if you press DVD or QuickPlay. Try it!

7. R1C47

R1C47 Scribbler - Standard Member

I just tried it, it's true.
    Thanks for the tip.

8. trihy

Yes, I knew that. Its a big problem if you store your laptop in tablet mode, accidental turn on is a big chance.

9. trihy

Well, now im using the qp.exe and button1, 2 and remote patch, and is working pretty good.

Anyone know if there is a way to make button1 or 2 shortcuts to execute keyboard inputs like pgup or pgdwn?

10. PiOp

PiOp Pen Pal - Newbie

Try saving the following in the plain text file with "vbs" extension - those files when run will work as PgUp and PgDn keys. If you can assign them to the buttons 1/2 it could work (haven't tried yet)

PageDown:
    Code:
    WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell").SendKeys("{pgdn}")
    PageUp:
    Code:
    WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell").SendKeys("{pgup}")