HP QUICKPLAY - Give me one reason why I shouldn't uninstall this

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by RoyalBean, Jul 11, 2008.

1. chihping

chihping Pen Pal - Newbie

Thats awesome thanks fzx101

Although there is two buttons on my remote, is there any way to distinguish between them? Right now both seem to be controlled by just the remote shortcut. Thanks!

2. tC_Crazy

tC_Crazy Pen Pal - Newbie

Wow, this is really weird. I used that batch compiler to make an exe for my sidebar (a simple C:\Program Files... sidebar.exe). Several weeks later (today), I receive a message from AVG 8.0 saying there was a Threat Detected in QP.exe (proper path in Program Files). Virus was "Dropper.small.29.bk." Google shows only 4 results, none of which explain the threat. I'm guessing it just doesn't like the code created by that compiler... weird stuff. Anyone else experience this?

3. miratom

miratom Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you very much fzx101! your program saved me lots of registry hacking I was about to do... everything works perfectly!

4. headbangerx

headbangerx Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't use Quickplay so I made the DVD button toggle the touch screen off and on. Now I can rest my palm on the screen in onenote without worrying and can easily turn it back on.

Attached Files:

5. Jor-dan

Jor-dan Tablet-Loving Student

The TC1000/1100... HP's original awesomenesses, bought out from Compaq... It was as simple as clicking the Tablet PC Config control panel, and changing all 8 or 10 buttons to whatever you want...

Is it THAT much harder on the tx2500? *sigh* The TC1000 was too underpowered to have bloatware! I could barely let the thing run McAffee! It had a silly Compaq Toolbar, but even that was somewhat functional and useful...

I had my buttons configured to:
    Active-Pen Responsive Buttons:
    Monitor Off
    Handwriting Recognition / On-screen Keyboard pop-up
    Windows Journal
    Side Press-Buttons
    TAB
    Compaq Menu
    SHIFT
    Standard CTRL+ALT+DEL pen-push button
    Jog Dial set up to UP, DOWN, ENTER

All those buttons... SO handy... I'm going to miss them!

6. vandy

vandy Pen Pal - Newbie

If the bat file is this:

@echo off
    set nullParam=%1%null
    if %nullParam%==null goto exit
    if %1%==ROOT start notepad
    if %1%==MY_DVD start wmplayer.exe
    :exit

and you convert it to qp.exe as above, and put it in Program Files/HP/QuickPlay directory, then the DVD button starts up Windows Media Player
    and the "circle arrow" button starts up notepad. You can of course modify the bat program before converting to start up any program you would like.

7. Ronx

Ronx Pen Pal - Newbie

In case someone is still interested, I've found a prettier and very simple way to reassign QuickPlay buttons. Just look in the Registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\MobilePC\HotStartButtons -- path to applications are there in plain text!

8. 2.0™

2.0™ Been Inkin' Staff Member

Very nice! Will give this a try!

9. sciman

sciman Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey Everyone!

I was browsing around Control panel and found an icon labeled Tablet PC settings. Under the Buttons tab, I found you can program the Q menu, rotate, tablet input panel, up and down buttons. You can set the action if they are pressed or if they are pressed and held. And, you can even change their assignments based on orientation!

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but I figured that if people were still talking abut the Qp.exe replace trick, I would mention this.

Hope this is not just on my notebook!
    If you need screen shots or help finding it, just ask.
    Sciman

EDIT: After fighting for an hour with HP support, I have found that this doesn't work. HP couldn't understand what the Tablet PC Settings window was. I am leaving the original post just in case someone tries it and it works, or they figure out how to hack it so it does.

10. R1C47

R1C47 Scribbler - Standard Member

I believe those settings are for the Compaq and those buttons aren't the same as the ones inn the tx2500(except for the rotation and settings)