HP QUICKPLAY - Give me one reason why I shouldn't uninstall this

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by RoyalBean, Jul 11, 2008.

1. chihping

chihping Pen Pal - Newbie

Thats a great idea, and you can probably make it do different things, we just need to figure out what arguments are passed when the buttons are pressed.

Just a guess, but first use this for batch file:

echo $1

and that should output what the buttons are passing on to qp.exe. After that we can just use an if to differentiate between the too?

I'm kinda rusty at this, and just guessing so may not work :p

2. ServantSoldier

ServantSoldier Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, I found a use for it. I use the windows sidebar for a few simple apps, but one that's really handy is a gadget called "app launcher ver 3" ( http://gallery.live.com/liveItemDetail.aspx?li=4ccdc564-3d94-48a5-82f6-4693940e4ab6&l=1 ) that gives me one click launching of all my favorite apps, great for the tablet.

I don't like the sidebar on top, but when I'm in a full screen program like artrage 2, it's annoying to have to minimize to get to the sidebar. I guess I could pin all my well used apps to the start menu or place them in the quick lauch tray, but that gets cluttered fast.

Here's what I did:

First, I created a shortcut to sidebar.exe, sidebar.lnk, and copied it into the HP quickplay folder.
    Using the method I posted yesterday, I created a batch file that contains "sidebar.lnk"
    I compiled it to qp.exe and dumped it into the quickplay folder. Now when I hit the quicklaunch button, sidebar (and app launcher) comes to the top.

I agree, there's a lot more you can do with this... vbs scripts come to mind.
    Also, does anybody know how to use CTRL, SHIFT, or ALT from a batch string? Maybe using ascii code?

3. Joker4ever

Joker4ever Pen Pal - Newbie

wow that is a very good idea !

and i would add a cons to hp quickplay : it can't access to other partitions.
    I reduced my c: and on the extra space i get, i put some music and videos. in my mind i was like well, if i want to stop working, i push this button and lets go. But i was sad discovering that i lost like 1h transfering my files to this new partition because i couldn't access it from hp quickplay. I think i will put winamp instead hp quickplay using your method.

But a quick question : are we oblige to not uninstalled hp quickplay ?

Edit: well it didn't manage to do it with winamp. I opened a file, put c:\Program Files (x86)\winamp\winamp.exe, converted the bath file into QP.exe as you said, and pressed the button... Nothing happened. i got the blue wheel near my arrow and that's all. I went to control panel to see what is going on and i got a b2e.exe and sometimes a QP.exe launching and stopping immediatly doing nothing.

What did i do wrong ?

thanks for help.

J4E

4. ServantSoldier

ServantSoldier Pen Pal - Newbie

1st, why do you have (X86) in your path? I've never seen that on the program files directory before...

2nd, try running the batch file first, before compiling it. If it works as a batch, it should as an exe.

Try running winamp from the terminal (run cmd.exe). If you can type it there & get it going, that will help, too.

Most problems with batch files are related to path errors. Running as a batch before compiling will let you see the error you are getting.

Good luck!

5. R1C47

R1C47 Scribbler - Standard Member

tl;dr: http://www.uploadjockey.com/download/2763472/qp.rar <extract it and put it in C:\Program Files\HP\QuickPlay to make the DVD button open WMP & Q button open firefox.

ok, I played around a bit and this is what I came with:
    1. make a .txt file and open it in NOTEPAD and write the following:

IF "%1"=="MY_DVD" "C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe"
    IF "%1"=="ROOT" "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe"
    EXIT

2. save it as QP.bat
    3. use the utility that ServantSoldier posted here: http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/showpost.php?p=119063&postcount=8
    to make the QP.bat file into QP.exe
    4. go to C:\Program Files\HP\QuickPlay and rename the QP.exe there to QP.exe.BAK(or delete it if you don't plan to use it again)
    5. move the QP.exe that you converted in step 4 to the folder in step 5.
    6. try it.

if you want to make the buttons open other applications find where it's .exe file resides and use that in step 1 instead of C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe or C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe

6. Joker4ever

the x86 is for software that are notfor vista x64 i got on my tx2524ca.
    I also got Office in that case my ultimate license is for 32bits...

and to be note, that hp programs are in 32bits and not in 64 also...

then i will follow you're directions, thanks a lot both of you.

edit : And i can access it from the CMD, i mean i choose vlc and winamp instead of wmp and firefox and i can access them by taping the adress you saw upper.
    But as it was said in the first posts, i clic on "ghost application" when converting. is the problem coming from here ?

edit2 : well nothing change with console application instead of ghost application.

7. R1C47

you can change EXIT with PAUSE to see what's happening in the cmd before it closes.
    To me the problem was that I didnt put the quotes("") around the address and it couldn't find C:\Program instead of looking for C:\Program Files\etc.

so... remember to put the quotes around the address.

8. Joker4ever

well i made the pause thing and for noz still telling me that he can't find the programs.

(for the record i reinstall the softzare in c:\programmes instead of c:\Programs Files (x86))
    I even change the orientation of the dash but same error.

"c:\windows\sysWOW64\IF "ROOT" == "MY_DVD" "C:\programmes\VideoLan\VLC\vlc.exe"

9. R1C47

try making a batch file with only this:

"C:\programmes\VideoLan\VLC\vlc.exe"
    PAUSE

and see if vlc runs

10. Joker4ever

Still not working.

is there a way to say to the console "go to" ? like "cd c:\windows\programmes\videolan\VLC\vlc.exe" ?

is the c:\windows\Syswow64\ for something ?