HP QUICKPLAY - Give me one reason why I shouldn't uninstall this

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by RoyalBean, Jul 11, 2008.

1. RoyalBean

RoyalBean Pen Pal - Newbie

I think this is the definition of bloatware...

Lets see... to play a dvd, I can either insert the dvd, have it automatically play in windows media player.... or i can can hit some button on my screen, navigate through the HP quickplay menu and play it there. why do i need this. The games are retarded, and I don't keep any music on my tablet...

The only reason I haven't uninstalled it yet is because i don't want to have two buttons on my laptop that don't do anything.

Anyone figure out how to reprogram these?

2. fcbobby_15

fcbobby_15 Pen Pal - Newbie

totally agree

3. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

Before, the program on a whole served much more purpose, in that it could be used to access your music or play dvd's w/o booting into Windows, for some reason HP has removed this functionality, so at this point it really serves no purpose.

What you could do, since you don't like the idea of having non functional buttons, is to customize them for some other task.

For some ideas, check out the following threads:

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/showpost.php?p=108960&postcount=3

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/showthread.php?t=14490

This post isn't model specific, but if you're not uncomfortable fooling around & trying to tweak settings....this might be of help:

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/showpost.php?p=79739&postcount=9

Also this might be of use? http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/showpost.php?p=105732&postcount=17

4. forrestsun

forrestsun Scribbler - Standard Member

There was a thread about the button options on tx2500 doesn't really do anything. I have tried and that's sadly a fact. Do you have idea how to overcome this on the tx?

5. RoyalBean

RoyalBean Pen Pal - Newbie

I already went through all the threads about programming those buttons. I tried using that autohotkey program. I can reprogram pretty much everything except those types of buttons on this tablet. I got the supposed codes for them, and when you try to reassign them nothing happens.

I am gonna uninstall quickplay and take a black magic marker to them, pretend they are not there. Blue leds are so annoying. I use this as a tv when i am laying in bed, and those things just distract your eyes so much in a dark room. I liked my old gateway where you could turn off all the leds

6. gordoncahill

gordoncahill Scribbler - Standard Member

wouldn't a bit of black electrical tape be a better idea?

Agree with you about the LED's though.

Gordon

7. R1C47

R1C47 Scribbler - Standard Member

but!, won't uninstalling HP Quickplay also remove the screen rotation and windows mobility center button functionality?
    or will it just uninstall the program?

8. ServantSoldier

ServantSoldier Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a tx2000, and the two solutions that Drtigerlilly posted don't work for me: The regkey doesn't exist, and when I go to the control panel to access the hardware buttons, I get an error message saying that hardware buttons are not installed.

My solution, to stop quickplay from coming up:
    Rename c:\program files\HP\Quickplay\QP.exe to something else. I named it QP.bak.exe

Here's an even more interesting solution: Make it run a batch file.
    Example:
    Create a batch file named QP.bat
    In my test, I just inserted the text "C:\windows\system32\notepad.exe"
    Then download this little utility:
    http://www.computerhope.com/download/utility/Bat_To_Exe_Converter.zip
    The file is less than half a MB and is just an exe with a help file.
    It compiles batch files into executables.
    Run it, browse to the location of your batch file, go to the bottom (check "Ghost application" if you don't want the console window showing up) and click the "compile" button. It will dump a .exe file into the folder with the batch file. Take that exe, it should be named QP.exe, and place it in the "program files\HP\Quickplay\" folder. Now when you push the quickplay button, notepad opens. I haven't messed around with the DVD button yet, but I'm sure the principle is the same.

It's not elegant, but it beats not having the buttons do anything at all.

9. R1C47

R1C47 Scribbler - Standard Member

I was just thinking of doing that same thing. thanks for the link too.
    also, I don't think one can make the DVD and Q button do different things since both open QP.exe

10. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

That's a kewl idea ServantSoldier maybe other uses could be put to it.