HP Pro x2 612 G2

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by surfaceproartist, Feb 26, 2017.

1. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

kvoram likes this.
  2. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It looks like HP will have three very similar tablets offering, this and the presumably upcoming Elite x2 1012 G2 and possibly new Spectre x2 might share almost the same same form factor.

The disappointing thing about this one is that it does not offer Thunderbolt 3.

Additional links to specs for the different configurations:

http://store.hp.com/us/en/mdp/business-solutions/pro-x2-612-12-243545--1#!
    http://www8.hp.com/us/en/products/laptops/product-detail.html?oid=14432855#!tab=models
    http://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/default.aspx?cc=us&lc=en&oid=14432855

3. hootenanny

hootenanny Pen Pal - Newbie

Anyone get this yet?

I wonder if the USB C port supports 3rd party chargers given that it doesn't support Thunderbolt.

Looking at the service manual, it seems like the only thing you can really access by popping open the back is the SSD. The battery and WWAN LTE module are both buried beneath the middle frame still.

Edit: Looking a bit more at the service manual, while the WWAN module is listed in things that are only to be replaced by Authorized Service Providers, the prerequisites for things to remove is the same as for the SSD, so maybe you can get at it from a window. I wonder if models that aren't shipped with WWAN or GPS will have the necessary antennas to later add a module, though.

However, the battery replacement requires removing the entire display panel.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  4. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I don't think anyone around here is going to get this specific one unless someone finds a sweet deal. It has only minor differences vs. the Elite x2 1012 G1 from last year.

AFAIK, HP's blocking of third-party USB-C chargers has been rectified through FW upgrades on (some or most of) their consumer models and was never existent on the business models. The Elite x2 1012 G1 supported third-party chargers, so I am fairly certain this one will as well.

Since this one is somewhat a more rugged version of the Elite x2 1012 G1, the more solid middle frame is what provides part of the ruggedness and of course makes disassembly slightly harder.
    I doubt you would find any WWAN antennas on a non-WWAN version on any device unless it was specifically designed for after-market upgrades. It costs the manufacturer money, so they won't include it for you "for free" so you can upgrade it on the cheap instead of paying HP for it. ;)

IMHO, most people interested in this would be better suited to look at last year's Elite x2 1012 G1 or this year's successor, the Elite x2 1012 G2.