HP Pro Tablet 608 - Issue with Windows 10 Update - Power and Volume Buttons stopped working

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by twitfri, Aug 6, 2015.

1. IsLNdbOi

IsLNdbOi Scribbler - Standard Member

Cancel because of the 2 week lead time or to order a Windows 10 pre-installed version?

2. Avenger

Avenger Scribbler - Standard Member

Mainly because of the lead time. I know you can buy it directly from some retailers but usually their return policies aren't that lenient. I have to think about it.

3. Avenger

Just as an update, I received a shipping notice today, a week after I ordered. But since it is shipping from China, I won't get it for another week. So their delivery estimate seems fairly accurate.

4. dellaster

dellaster On Hiatus Senior Member

When I ordered on August 21st every SKU had a ship date 19 days out: September 9th. Because Avenger's Win8.1 64 GB SKU shipped only a week after the order, and my Win10 128 GB SKU has yet to ship, I'll venture a guess that either the larger eMMC is in short supply, pre-installed Win10 is off to a slow start, or both.

At this point I wonder if they can ship mine by the 9th. Please let it not be another Lenovo ThinkPad 8-style delay scenario! :p

5. IsLNdbOi

My 128GB, Win10, LTE model is on order and should ship by the 19th.

My ThinkPad 8 is finally dead (accidentally backed up over it) so can't wait to get this.

6. dellaster

What, is this a trend? Earlier this year Bronsky accidentally backed up over his Asus VivoTab Note 8 just in time for a new Surface 3 upgrade.

IsLNdbOi likes this.
  7. IsLNdbOi

The worst part is that it happened not a week after the Squaretrade warranty on it had ended.

8. Avenger

I would gather one issue has to do with Windows 10. Even on the HP Support forums, people are reporting problems with upgrading. Someone posted that HP support is working on fixes with the drivers , etc., and it should be resolved in 1 to 2 weeks. But someone talking with support and getting time frames isn't that reliable. Then again, I don't think I've seen 128GB Windows 8.1 models sold on 3rd party sites either. So I guess it can be the eMMC issue as well. There have been no Windows 10 models on 3rd party sites either so that is telling is well.

9. dellaster

Ouch! Poor timing. :(

Yep, I figured they'd need to get the bios and driver issues sorted out before shipping the models with Win10 pre-installed. In fact, I was counting on it: I don't want to receive a 608 that doesn't run the OS properly. I'll wait a reasonable amount of time if necessary. (Though never again the nearly three months—initial order to final cancellation—I endured with Lenovo and their ThinkPad 8!o_O)

10. Avenger

I received the tablet yesterday. I'm probably going to return it. The performance isn't noticeably better than my Asus tablet even though this has cherry trail and 4GB of memory. Also the fact that the pen turns off after only a short period of time and you have to tap the screen or press the button to turn it on again is annoying. I'm probably going to stick to Wacom tablets for now on if I can. Does the Surface 3 pen shut itself off also?