HP Pro Tablet 608 - Issue with Windows 10 Update - Power and Volume Buttons stopped working

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by twitfri, Aug 6, 2015.

1. twitfri

twitfri Scribbler - Standard Member

I received the HP Pro Tablet 608 ordered from HP SMB site couple days ago. It worked fine, the build quality, screen etc. are great, (although sound coming from front-facing speakers is much worse than a phone, so that was a bummer).

I got a prompt for upgrading to Windows 10 and went through with it. Now the power and volume buttons don't work anymore. The single press of Power button doesn't turn off the screen or put the tablet to sleep, plus the Volume button doesn't do anything either. However, long press of power button does turn off and on the tablet.

I noticed that there are two drivers in the Device Manager that have errors:

1) GPIO Buttons Driver (msgpiowin32.inf)
    2) HID Button Over Interrupt Driver (hidinterrupt.inf)

I have tried disabling and enabling and updating driver software (it says they are up-to-date) but to no avail. I also Refreshed the PC but still have the same issue.

I was told to use the "Hardware and Device troubleshooter" and it worked, until I restarted the tablet and it stopped working again. And now even the Troubleshooter is not able to fix it anymore.

Disabling the Windows Defender didn't help either.

Under the Driver properties for both "GPIO Buttons Driver (msgpiowin32.inf)" and "HID Button Over Interrupt Driver (hidinterrupt.inf)", under Device status I get the message "This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use (Code 12). If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system".

HP support asked me to call Microsoft saying its an OS issue and Microsoft support on chat and phone said they can't help because its not a Surface issue. (I don't know why I do this to myself and stick to Windows and Windows OEMs but such is the state and here we are.)

Does anyone have a clue on how to fix an issue like this?

2. burningorange

burningorange Pen Pal - Newbie

I've been playing around with mine since last Friday (busy and on travel, so no time to provide a review), and had lots of issues including yours. In short, don't upgrade to Windows 10 yet, the drivers are not there/ready yet. I managed to do it, but it is still a little buggy. You won't be able to solve your problem yet because HP pulled their Win10 firmware update from their support site.

Upgrading to Win10 resulted in the same problem with buttons. Last Friday, HP had a Win10 firmware update that fixed the problem (since been removed). I managed to have a fully working Win10, or so I thought. After about an hour in sleep, waking the HP 608, the touchscreen was non responsive. With the buttons, I forced a reboot, but the screen was blank. It turns out that the backlight was off and unresponsive. I managed to turn Narrator on (Winkey+Volume Up) and with a USB keyboard and mouse, navigated blind to the settings with keyboard shortcuts to restore Win8.1. Was scared for a while. After a few days, I upgraded to Win10 again, but before rebooting, I did a full reset of the machine. That deleted the previous Win8.1 factory restore (so no easy way to go back), but resulted in a clean Win10 installation. Everything works (just about).

But there are still issues: after a while the rear camera driver stopped working. Now it suddenly works again. The touchscreen still dies when sleeping for more than an hour. Bluetooth seemed fine, but did not detect the Arc Mouse until I forced an install of the Win8.1 bluetooth driver (still available on the HP support site). Battery life is poor, even when sleeping, apparently due to the LTE driver according to sleepstudy. For now, my scary backlight issue hasn't re-appeared though. I also had a few times when rebooting where the tablet did not detect an OS install (thought the eMMC was wiped!). But using a USB keyboard and gông into startup options and boot order, it would suddenly force a normal boot.

Anyway, apart from all that which tells me the drivers are buggy, but that HP are working on it because they pulled the Win10 firmware and drivers from thir website. It is probably best to wait until HP have their drivers are ready.

Quick review: excellent hardware, I like the screen resolution. It is a little slow, about half the power of the Surface Pro 3, but it is workable. I'm still waiting for the pen to be a available. The pen is crucial to me, it better be as good as the NTrig of the Surface… and not crap like the Synaptics of the Dell Venue 8 Pro. I've warmed up to Win10 as a tablet OS, except for Edge, that has no tablet optimisations (except for pinch to zoom). Speakers are ok, not great.

twitfri likes this.
  3. twitfri

I end up asking for RMA for the tablet. I will buy again once Windows 10 is ready for this tablet. Its such an amazing size. I wish the speakers worked better, because they look amazing. Also, why not Wacom?!

4. twitfri

Summarzing the issues so far with the Windows 10 update going from the most scary to least scary:
    1) Rebooting the tablet gives a message : "A configuration change was requested to clear this computer's TPM (Trusted Platform Module)"

Now touchscreen won't work and the volume + - buttons won't work either, so you can't select anything.

Fix: Connect a USB keyboard. Use USB-C to Female USB adapter. This will allow you to select "Yes" prompt. Will Boot. Refresh (to reinstall Windows).
    In my experience after a complete Refresh (which did a reinstall of Windows 10) this problem didn't come back.

2) Rebooting the tablet gives a message : "Boot Device Not Found. Please Install an operating system on your hard disk".

Workaround: Long press power button to turn off the tablet. Press and hold Power and Volume - button to boot into Bios. Go to Boot Options, tap on "OS boot menu" and it will boot into Windows. However this is not a fix and everytime you reboot this window will appear.

Fix: Refresh (to reinstall Windows). After a full Refresh (which did a reinstall of Windows 10) this problem hasn't come back yet.

3) Power and Volume buttons don't work (see my first post)

Workaround: Use the soft keys in Windows to put to sleep. Keep a bluetooth keyboard or mouse connected and use a key on the keyboard or click on the mouse to wake up.

Temporary Fix: Sometimes a shut down, and start fixes it. Until the next time it decides to act up. Sometimes using the "Hardware and Device troubleshooter" fixes it, but this fix isn't saved and a restart brings back the issue.

Fix: None so far. (Hopefully a driver update in the future.)

4) Terrible Battery Drain in sleep and in use

Workaround: Turn off when not in use (very unattractive option)

5) Start screen doesn't appear on booting up until you actually tap the Start button. Cortana button in the task bar doesn't respond to taps initially.

Workaround: Use the Cortana tile. Or press the Start button and scroll the start screen a couple times, or just launch an app first.

6) Tinny puny speaker sound

Workaround: Use bluetooth speakers or headphones

Fix: None so far. (Not sure if possible).

5. asfletch

asfletch Pen Pal - Newbie

Wow that's pretty embarrassing for a premium tablet which was ostensibly designed to run Win10! I'm now counting my lucky stars that the Elitepad works relatively smoothly after updating, even though none of the major drivers has been changed (note to HP: Lenovo has had Win10 Atom platform drivers out for the ThinkPad 10 since May).

Also disappointing about the speakers - as you say they look like they'd deliver the goods. The Elitepad's speakers are noticeably tinnier than an iPad's too.

6. twitfri

Yup pretty embarrassing!

Also, before packaging up for returning it I tried the HP Executive Pen G2, which is supposed to be based on Atmel, just like this tablet is "rumored" to be, and it didn't work.

Neither did Ntrig and Wacom (ofcourse). So, I am at a loss, if it is not Atmel digitizer, is it actually Synaptics, or maybe the pen driver was not working. Anyone has a chance to try a pen on it yet and know for sure what digitizer technology it is using?

7. asfletch

asfletch Pen Pal - Newbie

twitfri likes this.
  8. USCTROJANAJE

USCTROJANAJE Pen Pal - Newbie

I have the same problem with the buttons not working after upgrade to win 10. I am sure they are working on the drivers. I ordered the pen and it should be here Friday. I will let you know how it works.

9. Avenger

Avenger Scribbler - Standard Member

Sounds good. I will probably buy the tablet if I can get the pen. Where can you order the pen?

10. USCTROJANAJE

USCTROJANAJE Pen Pal - Newbie

Just called hp and ordered on phone. 49.99.

Hardware wise it is a great tablet. The screen is awesome. I have had many small tablets from toshiba encore write 2 to dell venue 7840 and venue 8 pro and the screen on this is great. Maybe not quite as good as the oled on the dell venue, but I wanted windows os. The dell is great for media. Speakers so far are the weakest part of the hp tablet.