HP Pro Tablet 608 G1 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dellaster, Sep 14, 2015.

1. SolidSonicTH

SolidSonicTH Pen Pal - Newbie

With 4GB of RAM in an 8" device, this is the tablet device I've been waiting to see.

2. swanlee

swanlee Scribbler - Standard Member

The tablet does look great spec wise but I'm not ready to buy yet.

Seems not many people own it so hands on impressions have been few and far between

I'm also a little concerned about battery life when comparing it to my Acer W4 which hits 7-9 hrs. Also someone mentioned the wifi chip is not very good.

At $600+ for the 4GB ram and 128GB HD version it is a little pricey. I'm definitely going to wait to see how the new Dell Venue Pro stacks up.

3. SolidSonicTH

SolidSonicTH Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't mind having a small storage space internally because I do a lot of my work on my micro SD card. I was shopping for the 64G version.

4. swanlee

swanlee Scribbler - Standard Member

The 64GB version is still in the 500$ + range. For me to upgrade from my current Acer W4 I need an across the board upgrade

More Ram
    More internal storage
    Higher Res screen
    As good or better battery life
    Better GPU

This tablet is close to that with some concerns about battery life and price and potentially slower CPU.

5. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Threshold 2 supposedly will help on the battery life front. As for CPU, the Cherry Trail is the same architecture as Bay Trail, just shrunk down to 14nm. The only notable change in performance for daily use is in the iGPU, which without question is far superior to last gen.

I think it's a good device as long as expectations are kept reasonable.

6. rennervison

rennervison Pen Pal - Newbie

The specs on this thing had me salivating, but then I saw Chippy's review before I could pull out my credit card. The heat issues concern me - especially if it just causes the tablet to throttle and perform as well as others less than half its cost. I would like to hope that a BIOS update or lowering the resolution while gaming resolves this, but I'm curious if others have used it and concur this is a definitely a problem.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
  7. rennervison

This is my thought as well - although there was quite a bit of discussion in a previous thread on issues with Windows 10. That alone makes me want to hold off until HP gets those ironed out and begins preinstalling Win10 on these devices.

Aside from that, I'm starting to lean more towards getting this after scouring the internet all day for more details. I'm not a big tablet guy since Apple and Android dominates the market and I prefer Windows. Instead, I've always dreamed of a way to pair an 8" Windows tablet with something like an Ipega PG-9023 and turn it into a portable PC gaming device.

This seemed plausible until I read from Chippy's review: "we can't recommend this at all for gaming." That's a little disconcerting but I noticed his 3DMark Score of 347 is comparable with various notebooks. He also makes a point to mention the Surface 3 scored higher at 562, but that's a bit of an apples-to-oranges comparison since the Surface 3 is larger and therefore might have better thermal distribution inside allowing for smoother performance.

A better comparison will be to the Dell Venue 8 Pro, but alas that wasn't mentioned for some reason. (He did however point out the eMMC write scores for the Dell Venue 8 Pro shows Dell's device is clearly superior in that regard.) This omission of the Dell Venue 8 Pro in the 3DMark Scores is odd since I can pull up the review of that tablet on the same site and see it scored a 216. That means the HP Pro 608 scored over 60% higher! If I do a similar lookup on the same site for the 3DMark score of the Lenovo ThinkPad 8 (again, this score is not included in the comparisons to the HP Pro 608) I find that score is even lower at 209!

He did the same thing for the PCMark 7 scores as well. HP Pro 608 scored a 2,382. But then you have to look elsewhere on the site to get the relevant scores for the real competition for this device - Dell Venue 8 Pro is comparable at 2,317 and Lenovo ThinkPad 8 is actually higher at 2,560.

So I'm a little confused at this point as to why he can't recommend it for gaming. I see no slowdown or stutter in the video demonstration he provided, and one user on YouTube is able to play Portal 2 and other games on the thing flawlessly:

Furthermore, that user even goes on to comment at 7:24 how the tablet is warm but not hot - which is certainly different from how the review described it as "heat in the bottom right (landscape mode) was very uncomfortable". Incidentally, the max temp readings (51.7 Celsius) were comparable to the max for the Dell Venue 8 Pro, but HP had a higher overall average. Also - Intel rates the Z8500 processor at 90 degrees Celsius, so you're probably looking at twice the recorded temp in this review before any concerns about the CPU shutting down.

So based on this, I think it is likely I will be getting it once all the Win10 issues are resolved. (The HP site now appears to be selling the Win10 2GB RAM model. But where's the 4GB version?) Plus I'm really sold on the 4:3 screen. :)

Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
  8. dellaster

FWIW, my old order for the Win10 pre-installed 608 arrived at my door yesterday. So they're definitely released. This one's the same 4/128 GB as the one I already have.

Now I need to go through the RMA hassle to get my money refunded. The HP support guy said he tried to cancel it three times in the past month but it was like the Terminator, nothing would stop it. :p

Will I ever order from HP again? Not likely!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
  9. rennervison

I do not understand HP's site at all. The 4/128 GB Win10 version is nowhere to be found on this page:

http://store.hp.com/us/en/vwa/tablets

Plus - I'll need the tablet dock it was featured with in all the countless HP promo videos I've seen, so why on earth is that not offered as an accessory with any of the 608s on that page? The only place where I can find it are foreign sites for hundreds of dollars. Does anyone know where I can order it, and does it really cost about $200?

10. dellaster