HP Pro Tablet 608 G1 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dellaster, Sep 14, 2015.

1. swanlee

swanlee Scribbler - Standard Member

Cool so it seems it is at least a minor upgrade in graphics to baytrail. I'm going to see how the new dell venue shakes out before deciding. But I really want a 4gb , 128gb HD, 1080p + 8 inch tablet, seems these are going to be my only two options although the dell probably wont hace a 128gb hd version.

2. swanlee

After further research starting to get a little concerned with the 608 might be worse in performance than my Acer W4

I found the PCmark scores for the Acer W4

Acer Iconia W4 (1.33GHz Intel Atom Z3740, Intel HD graphics) 2,538

HP 608
    PCMark 7
    Score 2382

I'm not sure I want to spend upwards of 700$ for something that performs worse than my current tablet when my main reason for upgrading are I want 4GB ram and 128GB Hard drive space.

I would hope for a nice performance boost given twice the ram and better GPU, but I'm not sure that will be the case.

Does anyone have any experience with both the Acer W4 and HP 608? How do they stack up performance wise and battery wise? I get about 7-9 hrs of normal use out of my Acer W4, reviews are saying 4-5 hrs of normal use out of the 608.

Think I may just wait on the Dell Venue update and see how it stacks up, if anything it should be alot cheaper.

3. swanlee

How did you get this to run in Win 8.1? I only could get a command line version to run and it didn't tell me much. I want to run it in my acer to see how the 608 compares

4. cbutters

cbutters Scribbler - Standard Member

I did some gaming benchmarks this morning to see how well the HP Pro 608 did... I was actually surprised how well it ran games if you set them to 1024x768

dellaster likes this.
  5. dellaster

dellaster On Hiatus Senior Member

I used a third party program:

http://win-experience-index.chris-pc.com/

Watch out for the little "extras" it tries to install; look hard at check boxes. It also has a popup after it closes so I uninstalled it after one use on each of my two tablets.

6. dellaster

Thanks for that. Now I'm motivated to try a few games that I didn't expect to do well, such as Neverwinter Nights 2.

One game I'm replaying always stuttered badly on my Q584 during in-game animated scenes, but is nice and smooth on my HP 608. Also, the 4:3 aspect ratio is an unexpected boon for older games that were released for 640x480, 800x600, or 1024x768. Many of them won't look right in full screen mode--graphics get stretched horizontally on wide screen devices. I found that unplayable especially if characters were shown (e.g. adventure games). But on the 608 I can do full screen without distortion. Nice! :)

7. swanlee

So I ran the 3rd party Win Exp app on my Acer W4

So the Acer W4 has a slightly faster CPU and slightly faster Disk speeds

608 has faster memory and 2X better GPU.

So the 608 Will probably be a little better in normal everyday use. I do not game on my Acer W4 so I'm mainly just concerned with media consumption.

My only other concern is battery life.

I'd want to get at least 7 hrs out of the 608 just doing normal web surfing, HD video streaming etc.

8. dellaster

With the current state of W10 and the 608's drivers, I'm not going to see much better than six hours. Chippy's review results had about the same battery duration, so it's not just me.

9. swanlee

Well Win 10 is a complete piece of crap on all tablets so I'm going to stick with win 8.1 on the 608. any reports on win 8.1 battery life?

dceggert likes this.
  10. swanlee

Bueller?