HP Pro Tablet 608 G1 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dellaster, Sep 14, 2015.

1. swanlee

swanlee Scribbler - Standard Member

So wonder if any site is ever going to do an actual review of this tablet? It is by far the highest spec'd 8 inch tablet their is yet it is being totally ignored. I'd like to see some battery life tests and have it go through it paces before I decide on it.

2. MacrosTheBlack007

MacrosTheBlack007 Scribbler - Standard Member

I totally agree. I was also hoping someone could post some gaming results. I understand its a business orientated device, but still, would be nice to see if it can do some light gaming. For a device that costs $500 + for a 4GB model, it would be great to have some reviews to go off of before reaching for the credit card.

3. hlov

hlov Pen Pal - Newbie

Chippy from umpcportal has published a review

http://www.notebookcheck.net/HP-Pro-Tablet-608-G1-Tablet-Review.151273.0.html

dellaster and thierryb like this.
  4. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

No mention of the pen in that notebookcheck review (unless it is buried deep in one of the other sections of the review)...unfortunate.

I swear, the whole tablet community wants the pen gone and buried.

5. dellaster

dellaster On Hiatus Senior Member

Review link added to the first page. Thanks for finding the review.

Nope, they did the review sans pen. Otherwise it's a reasonably fair review. It does seem limited to about the same performance as previous Bay Trail 8" tablets despite it being Cherry Trail and it probably is mainly due to thermal issues—it does get warm/hot on tte bottom left in portrait—though I'm surprised he didn't also add the very high resolution as a culprit that drags down performance, especially in graphics tests.

I wouldn't recommend the 608 for gaming. I have no problem with the retro games I like to play (e.g. Baldur's Gate I&II and such—I have BGT running at 768x1024 in portrait mode via the widescreen mod), but it's not going to run Skyrim very well, I think.

6. swanlee

Interesting review, for me I just want something more powerful than my Acer W4 while still having similar battery life. I get around 8 hrs of normal on and off use during the day.
    4gb ram and 128gb and 2k screen are my main interests. Seems cherry trail can be sluggish at times

I won't be gaming on it, mainly as a media tablet and particularly as a portable music player.

7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

The combination of lower powered Atom and higher resolution is the culprit I would guess. I doubt very much that the problem is thermal. My X7 Atom has never throttled under 85C. I have to question that kind of resolution in an Atom device. The Fujitsu Q584 had the same issues with its high resolution display.

8. swanlee

So how underpowered is the cpu? Is the 608 with 4gb ram going to be faster and smoother than an old baytrail with 2gb ram?

9. FZelle

FZelle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The Cherry Trail CPU is only marginally faster than the Bay Trail, but the GPU is nearly double the speed.
    That's why you don't see the 608 it faster in Processing then an older tablet.

The 4GB should do the trick for Multitasking.

10. dellaster

dellaster On Hiatus Senior Member

Not that the Windows Experience Index is accurate across machines and Windows versions, but the ones I did on my Fujitsu Q584 (Bay Trail Z3770, Windows 8.1) and HP 608 (Cherry Trail x5, Windows 10) might be helpful.

Fujitsu Stylistic Q584
    WEI_Q584.jpg

HP Pro Tablet 608
    WEI_608.jpg