HP Pro Tablet 608 G1 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dellaster, Sep 14, 2015.

1. swanlee

swanlee Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for the info, I'm more concerned with the headphone output so it's good that you think it sounds good driving decent headphones.

To check bit rate of the audio go to the control panel, sound, click on speakers or headphones, then click properties, then advanced and look at the default format, on Baytrail chips it is greyed out and stuck to 16bit 48k. I'm hoping cherrytrail allows it to be changed to 24bit 96k

My current Acer w4 works well but I'd really like 4gb ram, 128gb HD and the 2k screen of the HP pro 608 while still getting 7-9 hours battery and good sound from the headphone jack.

2. dellaster

dellaster "Apple Fanboy" Senior Member

It's greyed out and stuck to 16bit 48k, I'm afraid.

3. swanlee

swanlee Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for checking, not a deal breaker as my Acer W4 is the best sounding portable audio player I've ever heard and I've used 500$ portable dedicated players with external DACs etc. So if it uses the same audio chip as baytrail then I'll be fine with it.

4. Bartoo

Bartoo Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello everyone!
    I am so glad I found this thread, did not find any review on the web, you are amazing! Finally a PERFECT tablet for me!!! Years waiting for it, really
    - 4:3 aspect ratio - I love it, in my opinion it's the only reasonable aspect for tablets, perfect for reading and browsing. Who gives a damn about films? I watch movies on my projector or TV
    - hi-res/8 ich - I was waiting sooo long for a Windows tablet with decent screen and 8 inch size, why it took manufacturers so long to acknowledge it? I have a XPS 12 laptop 2-1, i love this PC but as a tablet is quite bulky.
    - powerfull intel SOC, YEAH!
    - good accesories
    - Windows OS, I had an Ipad, Android tablet, that enough of this. I like Android but it's not the thing i need

I wanted to ask some feedback from you guys
    1. What about the battery, after how long the juices runs out?
    2. Sleep mode, is it working as it should? Like in Android/Ios devices? Tablet sleeps and wake up fast, app are running in the background? It is very important. It's full Windows 10/8.1 and I'm afraid it may produce some unexpected glitches, battery drains
    3. Do you know ANY other similar devices (4:3 aspect/8 iches/Win OS)?

Cheers!

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
  5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

AFAIK the HP is the ony 4:3, 8" windows device. The new Dell Venue 8 is still 16:10 I believe.

6. dellaster

1. Battery: powercfg /batteryreport is now telling me to expect 6 hours on a full charge. This after a clean W10 install and two days of application installations/configs, Windows Updates, Browsing a lot with Chrome--the battery killer, and sundry other tasks. NOT normal use. Ask again in a couple of weeks. ;)

2. Connected Standby works without issues in W10 if all driver updates and the 1.06 BIOS are installed. Getting the notification sounds loud enough to hear out of the underperforming speakers is another question.

3. Bronsky nailed it. This is the only 4/3 8" Windows tablet I know of.

7. dellaster

Pro 8 Smart Cover

SmartCoverBox.jpg

HP Product Page

This was back ordered and didn't arrive until this afternoon. Heavy sucker: 0.64 lbs and definitely adds heft to the tablet. The design of the sides of the 608--slanting inwards towards the front, the opposite of Surface tablets--allows it to snap in firmly. The pen loop is very secure, so much so that it's a bit of an effort putting it in and pulling it out. Goes to sleep/wakes up when the cover is closed/opened. Can be used as a landscape-mode stand with variable angles.

SmartCoverStand.jpg

I'll have to see if the weight and heat retention bother me long-term. I may only use it when on the go if it does.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
    soh5 and Bronsky like this.
  8. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

@dellaster - what a ham of a cat you have there! :)

9. dellaster

She's certainly not camera shy!

10. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

The size of the tablet is really interesting. The 4:3 ratio is great. I can imagine using this outside the office in the same manner I use my S3. Put a kickstand, a type cover, remove the Windows button and thin the bezel and this might rival an S3. I know, lots of "ifs".