HP Pro Tablet 608 G1 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dellaster, Sep 14, 2015.

1. alaskajoel

alaskajoel Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm not certain--I bought my unit with 1.10 and it had the lag. To be clear, this 'lag' I speak of is an initial delay where you touch the screen and expect movement, but the display does not recognize the touch for about 750-1250ms. This only happens after about 5 seconds of no touch interaction with the screen. If you are continuously touching the display, as in scrolling quickly through a document or webpage, you would not notice the lag until you paused, did your reading for more than 5 seconds, and then tried to touch-scroll the page where it would again lag.

I installed the 1.13 bios that dropped Sept 14 and the touchscreen firmware dated Sept 21. The lag is exactly the same on my device. I am currently doing some other updates, including the Windows 10 anniversary update, and I'll report back if anything changes.

I might try and do a completely clean install too...nothing to lose.

2. swanlee

swanlee Scribbler - Standard Member

The lag is a deal breaker and HP is not going to fix this. It is directly caused by firmware past 1.08.

I had this tablet around January, Once you get past the 1.08 firmware you will have touch screen lag issues. You cannot fix this and HP will not fix this. I returned it then tried another HP 608 and had other issues.

HP firmware is on 1.13 now and have not fixed this.

Return this tablet asap, the issue will never get fixed HP has abandoned it they will never fix it and your only recourse is to get your money back.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  3. burningorange

burningorange Pen Pal - Newbie

I was ready to throw in the towel after battling with my HP 608 for a year now, and HP have just released a firmware update for the Atmel touchscreen (http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/...wItemId=ob_174218_1&swEnvOid=4192#tab-history) and it seems to have fixed my pen reliability issues, maybe even reduced the touch lag quite a bit. My Bios firmware is also the latest 1.13A. If sleep issues are also fixed, dare I hope my HP 608 is actually becoming useable ? Time will tell (it is my daily driver, and I have come close to throwing it against a wall many times !).

4. Shooby319

Shooby319 Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm guessing I'm one of the few with little to no problems with the 608. I bought it used and it came with 1.09 BIOS. Updated to 1.12 along with all the other latest drivers on the HP website and I've had no issues with touch lag or sleep. I've also tweaked a lot of settings to prolong the battery life like turning off all background apps, location settings, etc. Hasn't helped much with battery life (I get about 5 hours) but it definitely prevents the tablet from waking up during sleep such that I get about 0.5 - 1% drain an hour while the tablet is asleep. This would definitely be the perfect tablet if it came with a Wacom digitizer and better speakers. Hopefully there'll be a some new 8 or 9 inch tablets released next year with Core M, Wacom digitizer, 4gb ram and an SSD.

5. JarkMackson

JarkMackson Pen Pal - Newbie

Any chance you can try 1.13A and let us know if that helps the lag?

6. swanlee

swanlee Scribbler - Standard Member

I returned my two attempts at the 608 long ago and got a Surface 3. I still keep track to see if anything ever fixes the touch lag as I may want to give it another try but my Surface 3 has been doing great and really reliable and I've had it since Jan.

Their are some posts on the official HP support forums that indicate 1.13a did not fix the touch screen lag.

I would highly suggest returning the tablet or selling it on Ebay as it has been 10 + months since the 1.08 firmware was released that started this screen lag and HP has still not fixed it.

7. Shooby319

I've been having problems with the battery draining during sleep and I found that reinstalling the Aug 2016 Intel IO/Video/Audio/Camera Driver Pack fixed the battery drain. With airplane mode on, my device is now draining about 0.8% an hour. The culprit was the newer Sept 2016 driver, where the device was draining 6% an hour.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
  8. JarkMackson

Did you mean the April 2016 driver? I don't have an august 2016 option on the HP site.

9. Shooby319

Yes sorry that's what I meant

10. JarkMackson

Any chance you did anything else? I've been getting a consistent 4-5% drain every hour still while on airplane and battery saver mode.