HP Pro Tablet 608 G1 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dellaster, Sep 14, 2015.

1. mickael28

mickael28 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi guys,

I was looking for a small tablet to take with me on my jacket whilst commuting and ended up finding this model. I was basically looking for:
    * Good resolution: 1920x1080
    * Stylus support
    * 4GB Ram
    * Small, I would have preferred 7 inch rather than 8, but I've not found any 4GB model with 1080p resolution.

I've been reading some of the previous comments about all the kind of problems you all have had with touch screens, sleeping issues, etc... and now I have my doubts about whether this model would be ok, specially when I am in the UK and the cost of this tablet seems to be £600 (~$850).

Does anyone knows of another small model that's worth checking with good screen resolution, Ram and stylus support?

Many thanks!

2. swanlee

swanlee Scribbler - Standard Member

What you are wanting does not exist. Their is not a single 8 inch Windows tablet with 4 gb ram and 1080p + screen made in the world that is worth buying. They all suck, they all have wifi issues, bad battery life, touch screen problems. Read my thread below. I literally spent over $2k and 4 months trying out just about every small windows tablet with 4gb ram and 1080p+ screen and returned them all. I had to sacrifice size for reliability and got a Surface 3 which I kept.

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/hp-608-g1-comparison-impressions-a-long-journey.69321/

mickael28 likes this.
  3. mickael28

Thanks for that info and the awesome reviews in the other thread, really detailed and... you just helped me saving some time and money just trying! It's a pity that they have not created a few good ones in a smaller size..

I need to think if it's worth replacing my current one (low resolution and just 1GB) for a bigger size though. Thinking about my routine it seems quite inconvenient to always carry a 10" tablet. I've seen some nice looking jackets with large pockets in America, but importing them to the UK just to be able to use a tablet seems more hassle than it's worth at the moment.

I might just keep an eye on what's coming new in the next few months, maybe someone creates a decent one within the year.

Cheers!

4. swanlee

swanlee Scribbler - Standard Member

The last gen baytrail tablets with 2gb ram and 64gb drives were really good and reliable with good battery life. I'd recommend the Acer W4. You are however not going to get a high res screen or 4gb ram unfortunately.

Their also is nothing coming up that hits these spec's either. It could be a year or more wait for a new chipset and new batch of 8 inch windows tablets. Intel delayed the successor to cherrytrail.

5. mickael28

Hey, thinking about it... I think I could live without RAM or storage (similar to what I've got now - specs wise) but... I'd like a 1920 x 1080 screen, if possible with good pen support and in 7" or 8" size. Do you know anything that could be recommended as good with that criteria?

6. Tachnyrus

Tachnyrus Pen Pal - Newbie

No, you're stuck with 1280x800 if going Bay Trail. The only candidate, Lenovo Thinkpad 8 is heavy, has crappy battery life, and is unreliable. There is no light at the end of the tunnel, sorry to say.

mickael28 likes this.
  7. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

You think you want 1920x1080 because for some reason higher resolutions sound cool. For an external monitor yes, for an 8" or smaller screen it would be useless. I use 1280×800 on my Dell V8P with 115% scaling factor. Any higher resolution than that and you will just need a higher scaling factor. My 10.1" Elitepad needed 150% scaling factor to be useable as a touch screen. I changed the resolution on that back to 1280×800 as well.

You do want a graphics card capable of higher resolutions or multiple monitors, just not on an 8" screen.

And, by the way, the original Venue 8 Pro is an outstanding little machine. The issues with the early Synaptics pens was solved when Dell came out with version 3 (I think) with the silver barrel. No corrosion issues with that pen and it is usable whenever I pick it up. Nothing better seems to have come along since and they are dirt cheap on eBay.

8. mickael28

I have never tried such a good resolution on a smaller screen, but I think I need it. I've been using my Linx 7" (1200 x 800) and there's too little information displayed on the screen. I could cope with much smaller text size if they could just display it.

I don't use it for anything that could tire your eyes for long usages, I mainly want to use it for trading on the go. So I can monitor a few charts simultaneously, if I need something specific, I can resize them up easily. And then the stylus would be convenient because at such high resolution in a small screen I can imagine that it'd be difficult to select the options that you need.

At the moment, with 1200 x 800 tablet, the problem I am finding is that you don't see almost anything, eg, if you bring up the options to enter a trade, the chart goes off the screen completely, and if you try to use android, ipad or windows tablet versions of the software, they've just removed loads of options that are available in the PC version.

I thought it was going to be easier to find a good replacement though, what I don't understand fully is how's that there are 7" tablets supporting Full HD (1920 x 1080) when running Android but there's not even a single one with Windows?! Not even one of those chinese models that tend to try different setups... I couldn't find anything at all!!

9. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

There are some things you could try:
    - Make sure the scaling is not set to 150%. It seems that everything 10.1" and smaller has the default scaling set to 150%. Turn that down to 100% and see if that solves the issue.
    - If you are already at 100% scaling try 85% and see what happens.
    - Set the zoom level of your browser to 100% or less. These things ship with a default set to 125%.

My new 12" Elite X2 1012 is running 1920×1280 but the scaling out of the box was set to 200% and the browser was at 125%. What a waste.

mickael28 likes this.
  10. mickael28

Hey @dceggert, thanks for those ideas! I had never checked the defaults thinking it should all be at 100% but everything was zooming in as well...

I changed the display settings to 100% (I couldn't go any lower in this tablet, trying it and it just goes back up to 100%). This makes the usage of some apps way much better!!, issue of a lot of things still off screen but it's workable at least, you can see a few things simultaneously.

Then changing the web browser zoom to 75% makes the pages readable and usable for me as well. Pretty good points man, thanks!!

Sorry about getting slightly diverted of the main HP 608 thread, I ended up here as the closest tablet to what I had in mind, but a 7" would be even better for my needs. Now that I know this, I'm going to have another look as I might be able to go for something with worse screen and more RAM, at 1GB RAM at the moment, things take forever to be done...

Thanks again! I'll keep an eye on the forums in case something good comes in a small size in the next few months.

dceggert likes this.