HP Pro Tablet 608 G1 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dellaster, Sep 14, 2015.

1. dellaster

dellaster "Apple Fanboy" Senior Member

Jorge emailed me to confirm that the Windows 10 Pro 64 pre-installed versions won't ship until at least October 30th (I updated the first post to that effect) and asked how I wanted to proceed. I wrote that I wanted an expedited Win8.1 Pro 64. He talked to a Sales rep who quoted two weeks to build one for me and a guarantee to ship by October 15. Hah! Like I'd believe their guarantee! I canceled and ordered one on Amazon.com as you suggested. I've had no problems with returns with the A-Z Guarantee Amazon gives for third-party sellers. My Asus VivoTab Note 8 got refunded that way just a month ago. No hassles at all.

I went with Beach Audio and chose to expedite it for a bit under $5. The arrival estimate window is October 1-6, Thursday-Tuesday.

2. dellaster

The Surface Pro 4 would've been my "desktop" upgrade, replacing my current Fujitsu Q584 in that role. Alternatively I've considered getting an Intel NUC once the Skylake versions come out. But I can't justify the 8" tablet and a desktop upgrade this fall. My budget would protest. So I'll see about doing that next year.

profileQ584.jpg
    Q584 "desktop" in a gooseneck tablet holder, connected wirelessly to keyboard & mouse, w/USB 3.0 hub.
    Edit: Why do I go for a low-powered "desktop"? I live full-time in a motor home, traveling the US West except when taking a seasonal job, as I'm doing right now in Texas. I have to make do with 340 watts of solar power most of the year, with just a 220 AH battery bank. My previous 17" i7 MacBook Pro would dangerously drain those batteries in half an evening; my current setup can go all night and barely deplete it. I could get rid of one of the two solar panels and one of the two batteries now, if I wanted to, but it's nice to have the "overkill" power. ;)

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  3. cbutters

cbutters Scribbler - Standard Member

Ok, so I finally ran into some Windows 10 issues. Like someone mentioned on another thread, the touch screen stops responding if you resume from sleep if it is longer than an hour or so. So far, I've mitigated the issue by always turning the device completely off when I'm done using it, which is good for standby battery life, but a pain to remember and is obviously not the true solution. I wonder if there is some "do not let sleep" option for the touchscreen device in the sleep settings... I'll play around with it a bit and see if I can figure something out. But most likely we need some sort of driver/firmware update to fix this issue.

dellaster likes this.
  4. dellaster

Probably the same issues that have delayed the Win10 pre-installed versions. I think I'll just wait for HP to get a fix out to us before I bother trying.

5. cbutters

Ok, I got the touch screen to work between sleep cycles... looks like you definitely need to install the Intel Trusted interface engine download and / or the audio driver as well. once I installed those HP packages, it seems to be working fine after sleeping. Whats weird is that before installing these packages, it wasn't like there were any devices in the device manager without drivers, so I'm not sure how any of it was affecting the touch screen, but it definitely works now.

L_E_O and dellaster like this.
  6. cbutters

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

So I received the keyboard case today, it is physically really nice. it looks great from the outside especially and has a hole for the camera to use. The pen straps in very securely and the whole thing feels really well made. Typing is a bit cramped as you would expect for this type of keyboard, but it is actually pretty accurate and is the nicest , most responsive keyboard I've used of this size. It is quite rigid and responsiveness is good. It also allows the tablet to slip in and out very very quickly since it only clamps on the top. I dare say they nailed the hardware for this device.

Now it has one absolutely FATAL flaw.... I don't even know what to do at this point. Maybe you all have some advice.
    THERE IS NO FUNCTIONING WINDOWS BUTTON ON THIS KEYBOARD.
    The windows button that has a home button next to it functions as the HOME button so when I press it, it opens up Microsoft Edge... This means no windows keyboard shortcuts work. I feel like I'm drinking crazy juice... I tried remapping the key with several button mapping programs, but none of them seem to work under windows 10.
    I'm at a loss here.... Did this really make it through QC at HP? or is there some sort of toggle that I'm missing here... FN + Home/Windows Key does nothing different..... Why is there even a windows icon on the button? I can't use any windows keyboard shortcuts at this point, which was one of the main points of getting the keyboard.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
    dellaster likes this.
  7. dellaster

That keyboard case does look nice. I bet you'll get comments when you take it out in public. Of course, probably a lot of "dude, where'd you get the rad keyboard for your iPad Mini?!" ;-)

There must be some method of using the Windows key... hopefully.

8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

The keyboard looks exactly like my Slate 500 KB that I used more recently with my 8" M80TA. The keyboard was the best small keyboard I've ever used. Typing action was superb for the size. I was able to be fairly productive with it. The only thing I found frustrating was the linking of the ", ', ?, and other keys to the Fn key. Quoting was a real PITA. Lack of a functioning windows key is a mystery.

Here is my Slate 500 KB. Yours is BT and not a hard connection, right?

[​IMG]

Mine had a windows key. Love your 4:3 ration display. Perfect for such a small tablet.

[​IMG]

9. cbutters

Yes it looks really similar, the ",',? keys don't require the FN key, but {,},[,], do require FN so not as bad. It isn't as glossy as yours, but it has the same key shape and travel between keys.
    It is bluetooth. I am still literally scratching my head on the [Home/Windows] Button that only works as a home button. I'm wondering if there is a special driver, or if Windows 10 is doing something differently than Windows 8 did. I have posted on HP's forum here: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Window...Case-s-Windows-Key-Does-not-work/td-p/5283558

Hopefully something comes out of it, I can't believe that it was designed this way. As a last resort I may install autohotkey and see if I can write a custom key remapping executable that runs in the background.

mrpistachios likes this.
  10. dellaster

New608.jpg Mine got here in only two days. Unfortunately, I wasn't home yesterday to sign for it so it was (re-) delivered today. Early impressions:

It's set to 200% scaling out of the box (effective resolution 1024x768). I changed it to 150% (effective resolution 1365x1024), which might make the desktop too tiny for many folks but I think it's fine with a sharp 325 ppi. Quite a bit of desktop real estate for doing stuff.

Downloaded and installed Office 365 2016 Personal along with a specialized HTML editor I use all the time (Sigil). The former works great and I like the more minimal top area. The latter, as with my previous Asus VivoTab Note 8, works better with touch and pen than it does on my Q584, on which I need to use TouchMousePointer or hook up keyboard and mouse. In other words, the 608 is a definite winner for my crucial desktop applications.

Pen: a little thick and heavy, more so than a standard Staples brand ballpoint, but not by enough to bother me. I'm also not bothered by the 10-second timeout for standby mode and the heavier-than-Wacom Initial Activation Force—it just takes a little while to get used to, then I stopped noticing. It's easy to click the pen's button or tap screen & wait a moment. Hover compared to my Q584's Wacom... I'm not enjoying the much shorter hover distance, nor do I like how the hover cursor jitters sometimes and seems to be repelled by the edge of the screen. Actual pen use goes to the edges and corners just fine, much better than Wacom. I can live with these issues, however.
    Currently upgrading to Win10. Wish me luck!

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015