HP Pro Tablet 608 G1 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dellaster, Sep 14, 2015.

1. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Huh? Isn't that a jump to a different animal entirely? Like, "This Honda motorcycle isn't working out, so screw it I'm getting a Mercedes SUV instead." :p

2. swanlee

swanlee Scribbler - Standard Member

So what happened to the official charging doc/station that the HP 608 was shown with when it hit some tech conferences last year? That was one of the reasons I want a 608 was to just plop it on the doc for charging

3. zhxq

zhxq Pen Pal - Newbie

I have another question. Is there any other stylus that can be used on this tablet?
    I don't really like the Pro Tablet 608 G1 stylus - I need to write in a right angle, or the screen will feel nothing.
    I bought another stylus on amazon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MGU8LIK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00), but it has no sensitivity and only recognized as a finger, not a pen - though it is a very good designed pen for iPad.

So, is there any other active stylus (and I mean stylus, not the stylus that be recognized as finger) except for the HP one that can be compatible to this tablet?

4. Tachnyrus

Tachnyrus Pen Pal - Newbie

That connects through the docking port on the bottom, not the USB-C. Here's to hoping HP wasn't stupid and thought "why would anyone need simultaneous charging"

5. Tachnyrus

Haha, yes it is. It's a hierarchy of preferences to meet one need - a small portable "personal" computer to use on business trips (since corporate is cracking down on use of the company laptop). Of course, it'd be nice if it were dockable for personal use at home (banking, etc.). If an 8" tablet won't fit the bill, I'd rather go with the best laptop choice rather than muck around with something that's a terrible tablet and a terrible laptop (Surface).

6. swanlee

Is that HP doc for sales? I have not seen it anywhere

Same with the Folio keyboard. Both the snap on doc and the folio keyboard were shown at various tech show with the 608 and I can;t find them on the HP website to purchase. If I get a 608 the snap on doc and folio keyboard are pretty important reason why I want a 608.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
  7. Tachnyrus

And one possible reason why the HP 608 doesn't charge through Apple's adapter:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3017...-every-device-we-have-to-chase-the-dream.html

Apparently, HP has disabled charging through anything except their own certified USB-C chargers for the Spectre X2 (and possible for all their other USB-C devices too). Officially, it's to protect the device from "out of spec chargers"... unofficially, it's obviously just a form of Charging DRM to sell their own chargers. Not cool HP, not cool.

Was considering asking for a Elitebook Folio as my work laptop replacement. Seriously reconsidering it now.

8. swanlee

Ok so my experience with the Thinkpad 8 has gone horribly wrong after a couple of days of wrangling with driver issues part of the touchscreen stopped working and it is no longer under warranty it's now pretty much a brick. Hopefully I will get my money back from the seller or ebay.

That being said the HP 608 is my last attempt to replace my Acer W4. I've read through this thread and their seem to be some issues with the HP 608 although much less than the new Dell some of which are just bad hardware from the factory.

Now provided I get a working model what are some of the issues people have dealt with?

Are the wifi drivers stable? ran into wifi driver issues with the thinkpad and the onda tablet
    Does the throttling issue crop up alot does it cause shutdown/BSOD or just make the CPU slower?
    After some time what is the real user tested battery life? I was lucky to get 3 hrs out of the thinkpad, my acer gets 11 hrs, I would find 6 hrs acceptable with normal use, web surfing/watching videos/listening to audio.

Also would it better to buy directly from HP or from Amazon? Amazon has a good return policy but if I run into problems would buying directly from HP help?

9. nsenda

nsenda Pen Pal - Newbie

Finally..Finally got my replacement. RMA h3LL has taught me patience. Though I’m known for being patient, when I decide to make a purchase, I want it now lol. Ordered last Thursday and got it next day 5:15pm (raced UPS to my place tech unleashed my inner Hussein Bolt lol). The Smart Cover is still MIA but, the tablet and pen arrived intact. Got the N2S61UT#ABA since they ran outof the N2S61UT#ABL which was 100$ cheaper (Yeah they got some this week but, still $40 more than it used to and $25 more than the #ABA). Just happy that the replacement for the device received last week of December is here and in perfect condition. No dead pixels and the pen works better than expected. The sound coming out of this thing isn’t great but, its way better than what comes out of my Kupa x15. Only had time to load up my stuff so no in-depth testing was done. The only time I felt any heat worth mentioning was when I had it plugged installing all the lovely windows updates and it was only noticeable when I touched the doc connector. Outside of that, the device ran cool. Glad I stayed away from the Windows 10 versions. The battery life is very good compared to the x15 with a spare battery.

Right now I have it configured at 250% scaling and it looks very good. It may not be as snappy as some would like, but it feels more responsive than the Kupa which has an i7 and 8GB of ram. Bottom line, it feels faster than the fully loaded Kupa x15 even though it’s not. Just running my usual scans shows the diff in performance.

I really need to test the pen for longer, didn’t have pressure sensitivity until I opened OneNote and it’s not as obvious that it does have varying levels of pressure. The Kupa Ntrig pen solution seemed to pick up the pressure more precisely, no biggie for me since I only take notes (maybe the odd basic sketches).

Bottom line, I’m glad tht I took the time to read this board and more importantly saw cbutters video. Ideal form factor size and weight for my needs.

10. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Man I'm still stuck between this and the MiPad2. The MiPad2 16gb are shipping now, but I'm holding out for the 64gb version which is about $250. Same resolution and CPU as the 608 though, I don't know if that's bad. From reading through this thread it seems the combination of the high resolution and the CPU make the 608 very slow. In looking at the MiPad reviews though they mention how fast and fluid it is, once again same specs 2048x1536, x5-Z8500, 2gb RAM, although I don't know what kind of hard drive technology the MiPad2 has versus the HP. MiPad2 even has AC wireless! Only thing missing is expandable storage, but I think I would be ok with 64gb, after OS files I would hope to still have 40+gb left and that's plenty.