HP Pro Tablet 608 G1 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dellaster, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Sunfox

Sunfox Scribbler - Standard Member

I've got a cheap Chinese Z8300 tablet and the 2.4g 802.11bgn WiFi is *pathetic* compared to my old Asus with 2.4/5ghz 802.11agn. And it's pathetic even if they're both running on 2.4g.

2. swanlee

swanlee Scribbler - Standard Member

Yea it really is the only issue I'm finding with this tablet, so shortsighted, a better wifi chip in bulk could not be more than 1-2$ per tablet if that and would make it so much better. If this thing had normal fast 5.2GHZ wifi it would do the trick for my needs

3. Sunfox

Just making it 5ghz isn't going to fix generally crappy implementations (ie. bad antennas/placement). There's bad 2.4, and very good 2.4, and bad 5.2, and very good 5.2... one big benefit of the 608 G1 is that it actually has Intel AC WiFi.

It will be interesting to see what the 802.11agn is like on the old TP8 I have coming. I'll compare it to my Asus, which I never thought was that great, but it's miles better than the Chinese tablet.

4. zhxq

zhxq Pen Pal - Newbie

As a Chinese, I really don't agree that Xiaomi is "Apple" of China......The device always has a very high temperature, and we have a joke in China - "If you feel cold in Winter, buy a Xiaomi phone as a heater" LOL......

hiramkey likes this.
  5. zhxq

zhxq Pen Pal - Newbie

5.2 GHz routers are not so common in China now, though it is still cheaper than in U.S.. I bought a Archer C7 (which is called WDR-7500 in China with 6 outside antennas; US version has 3 inside and 3 outside antennas) for about 67 dollars (tax included) when I was in China, with a better admin UI design; and I bought one last Thursday on US Amazon for my school dorm, it is 96.8 dollars with a crappy admin UI design - and this price is without price......

BTW, Office 365 in China is about 76$ for 5 devices with tax, which is 99$ in US without tax. I really don't know why these things are so expensive in US. We even have our 17% tax included in the price! However, Chinese people still complain this price is too high......

Most people don't really know the difference between 2.4GHz and 5.2GHz in China, what they know is that "Whether a black or a white cat, the one which can catch a mouse is a good cat." They think as long as they can use the network, then they don't need to change the router......Besides, 5.2GHz cannot be supported by all kinds of devices, such as phones and tablets. My mom bought a Galaxy Note 2 right after it came out, and it was several years ago; however, my family started to use 5.2GHz network from early 2015 because we redecorated our house...... My Alienware cannot support 5.2GHz at first, because I chose the lowest configuration on wireless adapters (because I put all my money on CPU and RAM). I cannot stand 2.4GHz anymore, so I installed an 5.2GHz adapter by myself last week.

6. Tachnyrus

Tachnyrus Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, for those looking for a portable dock, unfortunately, the Apple HDMI/USB-A/USB-C adapter does not fully work with the tablet. The HDMI and USB are fine (even through a USB hub), but the tablet is not powered by the adapter. Most likely because the Macbook's 29W adapter is 14.5V and 2A, whereas the HP's is 5.25V and 3A. I find I'm not quite brave enough to use the rMB's adapter to find out if that works or not. So at best, Apple's adapter is a video/USB hub.

7. Sunfox

I believe the adapter has to negotiate 14.5V output, otherwise it defaults to 5.2V. This is as-per USB Type-C specification - so you don't fry devices. However, that still may not make a difference to adding simultaneous charging capability. Do we know if the HP is advertised to support that?

8. Tachnyrus

Might be one point in favor of the Dell DV8P, which is specifically advertised to work with the the Dell Dock WD15 (includes a charging port). Of course, it'd be retarded if the dock didn't support charging the tablet at the same time. That's the point I totally give up on these jokes-of-manufacturers.

9. Sunfox

Only, the HP also has an ACTUAL docking connector. Perhaps they didn't feel the need to support simultaneous power input on USB-C. Certainly none of the advertised accessories include both functionality and power at the same time - there's even one that does nothing more than convert a laptop power supply to USB-C, without even offering a pass-through USB-C.

Might need to settle for this: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/products/tablets/product-detail.html?oid=7408051#!tab=features

10. Tachnyrus

Ugh, is HP trying to fail here? Might just Kijiji this one in a few months and get a Dell or Surface or screw-it-I'm-getting-a-Macbook instead :(