HP Pro Tablet 608 G1 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dellaster, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Tachnyrus

Tachnyrus Pen Pal - Newbie

It's too bad apple went the ARM route with their tablets... That A9 crushes Cherry Trail. On the other hand, it's not like Cherry Trail is incapable of being a good chip, it's just the incompetent and lazy implementation from HP and Dell that have contributed this mess.

Come'on Microsoft, resurrect that Surface Mini for when the S3 gets replaced!

2. swanlee

swanlee Scribbler - Standard Member

Given how awesome baytrail is x86 can do what arm does but alot better. I think the gpu improvements are wasted and cause the worse battery life. They should have bumped the cpu and not the gpu as much and kept battery life as good as baytrail.

I don't want an arm tablet, I want a real pc in my hands hopefully the next x86 chipset has better balance and is more stable.

I'd kill for a surface mini, just shrink a surface pro 4 down to 8 inches and it would be perfect

3. DevilGear

DevilGear Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah exactly. Thanks for your reply. I'm keeping the envy 8 note for now then. The resolution is lower (though it is a slower chip) and as long as I don't have a bunch of tabs open I have no issues with lag or heat. I just make sure to close things if I'm not using them. Though I did like the 4:3 ratio of the pro 608, I'm liking neing able to palm this with one hand the iPad mini was always a touch to wide for my hands.

As far as the iPad mini comparison I meant more on size, I don't expect it to run like one due to a full desktop OS. I still have my ipad mini 2 as apple always using the last gen chip on their latest mini annoys me.

And I would literally kill for a surface mini but it would have to write like the SP4/SB.

4. zhxq

zhxq Pen Pal - Newbie

Some add-on comments:
    HP has a really good customer service. I returned my old, power-key-stuck tablet (as I said in the previous post), and I had a little bit outside damage on my speaker (My tablet was stuck between the bed and the wall, and when I tried to take the tablet out, the bed pushed the speaker a little and caused some outside damage, but didn't affect anything). They charged me nothing.
    Besides, I forgot to take out my new, 128GB Micro-SD card when I returned the tablet; after I called HP for this, they paid me half of the Micro-SD card money.

I got my new replacement tablet last week. After some daily use, I have two major concerns on this tablet.

The first is the Windows key of the Pro 8 keyboard is actually opening the default browser. As a programmer, one of the most important key for me is Windows key so that I can call all kinds of shortcuts. However, without Windows key, I cannot even run a command in a short time.

The second is the stylus. As people said, this stylus requires high pressure to make it work on the screen. A workaround is to set the sensitivity to the leftmost option, to most "not accurate" (I'm using Windows in Chinese, and I don't really know what is the word in English version Windows. The rightmost option is "accurate"). To change it, go to Control Panel, then find "pen and touching" (something like this, as I said, I'm using Chinese version of Windows), then go the the second tab and change the bottom slider to leftmost.

Here is a picture, showing how to do this workaround. (Edited with my stylus. I really need to say that a stylus, even though it is not so sensitive, is much better than nothing.)
    无标题.png

Another thing that I need to say about this stylus is that it does not allow me to write like normal writing with a natural writing posture - I need to use this pen perpendicularly to the screen. One of my friends bought a Surface Book, and I tried his stylus - his stylus does not have this problem.

The last one, after upgraded to Windows 10, the "battery left time" does not work properly. On my old tablet, the "charging left time" is working properly, but the battery left time is always between 3-5 minutes, even though there is 100% left, and can use for several hours. On this new tablet, the time does not even show up. I don't know if you are having the same problem, or if you have any solution. If so, please reply to me.

These are only bummers I experienced with my tablet.

I clean installed Windows 10 after I first upgrade the system from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. At first the installation program asked me for product key, and I skipped. After installation, it asked for product key again, and I also skipped. After installation process, I checked, and I'm sure that it is now active because the product key is in BIOS (or EFI). Upgrade to Windows 10 changed the key to Windows 10, and clean install can reuse this key. Don't try to clean install Windows 10 if you HAD NEVER UPGRADED SYSTEM ON THIS TABLET TO WINDOWS 10, or you'll need to provide a product key.

5. swanlee

So I got my little Chinese knock off Onda tablet today and first impressions are not bad at all

The deal breaker for me is it seems the wifi chipset only see's 2.4GHZ networks, I'm getting around 30MPS on my 150MPS network which isn't great, my other Acer w4 will get around 65MPS so this is a real bummer. I've posted on the Onda forums to see if their is a way to enable a 5.2 GHZ network but more than likely this is a hardware limitation.

Other wise this tablet is pretty good, build quality is good, Win 10 runs well on it, already did an update to Win 10 so it takes legit os updates without a problem. I'm still charging it up so no Idea on battery life. Just the fact it booted and I have not had any BSOD or throttling or over heating issues seems to put it ahead of the new Venue Pro. The 2.4 ghz limitation is a serious bummer otherwise I'd say this tablet would work well for me and save me a ton of money over the HP 608 or the Dell. Audio quality out of the headphone output is good and up to my standards as well. The screen looks really good and it runs pretty smooth.

So I'm still going to try to track down a Lenovo Thinkpad 8 with 4GB ram and 128GB hard drive, if I can't get one I'll end up getting the HP 608 in a couple of months. The Onda V919 is not bad at all for $180 and kind of puts to shame the QA issues HP and Dell are having with the new Cherrytrail tablets although ti seems the HP is much more stable than the Dell.

So I'll probably keep the Onda as a test/disposable tablet as it's worth having another useable PC around for $180 even if the wifi issue is a bit of a bummer.

If a Chinese company can produce a decent worthwhile Cherrytrail tablet with good build quality that works out of the box for $180 what is HP's and Dell's excuse?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
  6. Yongtao

Yongtao Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm also using envy 8 note and consider it as a surface mini. Envy 8 note has been working fine for me, not noticing any lag compared with surface 3.

7. Yongtao

Yongtao Pen Pal - Newbie

How's battery life and overall power management performance on your Onda unit? The standby battery life is normally not good based on my experience....

8. swanlee

I'll know more in a few days, it is still charging and updating etc. It came to me with zero charge. Power management has more options than my baytrail had so seems it is more tweakable than last gen tablets.

9. Sunfox

Sunfox Scribbler - Standard Member

Yeah, almost all of the Chinese tablets, even the new gen, are 802.11b/g/n 2.4ghz only. 5.2ghz is a real rarity outside of a major brand - I think only the newest premium ones with 802.11ac will have that (ie. the Mi Pad 2).

10. swanlee

Real bummer cause beside the Wifi issues this really could be a tablet to replace my Acer. I'll probably keep it as a test tablet or something but so dang close, just one little piece here could have made it a worthwhile premium tablet