HP Pro Tablet 608 G1 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dellaster, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Sunfox

Sunfox Scribbler - Standard Member

Agree on the 4GB ram, but at the current state of available 4GB tablets, I'm willing to buy a 2GB. In fact, I'm so desperate, I would be perfectly content to buy another Z3745+2gb+32gb just to get SOMETHING that's not going to have horrible problems. But the one I have (Asus M81C) I can't find in Canada or anyone that will ship to Canada... and I'm getting increasingly desperate because my cracked screen is getting worse and worse.

Right now, I'd totally buy the totally non-available Thinkpad 8 w/ Z3795+4GB.

2. swanlee

swanlee Scribbler - Standard Member

Well I currently use an Acer W4, 2gb ram 64gb hard drive and 1200x800 screen. It works well but I have issues with the 2gb ram, I often have to go to task manager to close programs because things won't load or work correctly after opening up a bunch of stuff. Other than that the Acer has been a trooper. It gets amazing battery life at around 11 hrs of actual normal use

So my biggest need for upgrade is the ram and I want a higher res screen and would love 128 gb hard drive.

I've been pretty happy with the Acer and naturally thought cherrytrail would bring a number of 8 inch tablets with more ram, better gpu and even better battery.

So far cherrytrail has been a big cluster f with half the battery life and twice the glitches and issues. The GPU improvement doesn't mean much since you can't do hardcore gaming on either chipset.

That ThinkPad 8 with a high end baytrail and 4gb ram and a 1080p screen would be perfect for my needs, wish it could be bought in the states.

I wish I could design an 8 inch tablet for one of these companies, they all seem to screw up somehwere on them.

3. Sunfox

Sunfox Scribbler - Standard Member

I can't even find the Thinkpad in Europe (in stock, and especially able to ship overseas). I can find the older Z3770+2gb model, but that doesn't really help.

4. DevilGear

DevilGear Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey guys since getting my surface book I've been on the hunt for a stylus equipped companion device, i'm currently using an hp envy 8 Note and i actually enjoy it and find the inking to be as good as on my Surface Book, just as accurate and fast as far as i can tell. I've tried writing on the surface 3 and SP3 (with my S4 pen) and For me it goes surface3/SP3 < HP Envy 8 = SP4/SB. My main usage of the device is for taking notes, reminders, writing things down, light browsing and mostly app use with some one note 2016 use.

The only issues I've had with the device is lock ups when having more than 4-5 tabs open in edge. It will show 100% cpu usage and 100% memory usage. I don't know how much of that is the z8300 and 2gb ram vs the fact that edge kind of sucks (haven't tried a different browser yet, i use chrome on the surface book). that and the face that it keeps having issues with the 128gb card i put in it.

The reason i'm posting in this thread is i've been looking into replacing it with an hp 608 4gb model either the 64 or 128, in the hopes it would solve my cpu/ram issues i have with the envy. thing is i haven't seen much about writing and taking notes on this device anywhere. I think i saw one comment in this thread and was hoping maybe a couple people could chime in with their experience using the 608 as a writing/note taking device, as well as a comparison to any other stylus equipped devices they own like something from the surface line etc. The only thing i think i read about it is thats its the new amtel v4 i believe and i haven't found much more than that. I also like the fact that its a 4:3 device, the only other device i'm considering is a surface 3, but at that point i would probably wait for a surface 4 release (one can hope) even though i like the surface 3 i want something i can take with me and not have to bring a bag (i usually put my 8inch tablet in my back pocket was an ipad mini 2 is now the envy 8)

TL;DR
    how is writing on the HP 608? is it at least as good or better than the surface 3?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
  5. swanlee

Yea the 4GB model is impossible to find in the states their was a german site (lapstore.de) that shipped to some parts of Europe you may want to look into.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
  6. Tachnyrus

Tachnyrus Pen Pal - Newbie

@DevilGear, Can't comment on the 608's writing since I don't have the pen, but in terms of usability, I'd put it one notch *below* the Bay Trail-equipped Dell Venue 8 Pro from 2013. Despite having double the RAM, I think the combination of slow SSD and high screen resolution actually makes it more laggy and less responsive than the older tablets. It's not unusable by any means and it doesn't seem to lock up, it's just not "laptop-rivalling" like Bay Trail was. Of course, nothing comes close to an iPad, if you're using that as a reference base.

7. swanlee

Does the 4GB ram help with programs though? I love my baytrail Acer but the 2GB ram causes issues with some programs, like not loading covers for some audio programs and various of weird issues where I'm forced to kill stuff in task manager to get it working.

8. Tachnyrus

Can't really say I've stressed it much. Just been using it to surf with metro IE, and run iTunes. Overall, it is laggier and the touch screen less accurate than the old DV8P. Haven't run into crashes or not loading stuff, it's just slower, laggier, and less responsive than I'm used to.

9. swanlee

Thanks, what a cluster F cherrytrail is. Might be the throttling cpu causing lag cause everything should be smoother with more memory and a better gpu.

10. Tachnyrus

My guess was the resolution, since it does seem to get better at lower resolutions. It also looks terrible if you bring it down *too* low. But I think overall Cerry Trail just needs more engineering than Bay Trail did. After all, Surface 3 is a great implementation. Neither HP not Dell are known for pumping out quality products at the lower end though ( there's no money it so it just becomes something to checklist off)