HP Pro Tablet 608 G1 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dellaster, Sep 14, 2015.

1. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member

[​IMG]
    This thread is intended to consolidate general information and discussion of Hewlett Packard's new 8-inch Windows tablet.

LINKS

SPECS
    • PEN: Optional HP Pro Tablet 608 Active Pen (Atmel®), uses a AAA battery
    • CPU: Intel® Atom™ x5-Z8500 Quad-Core "Cherry Trail" (1.44 GHz up to 2.24GHz, 2 MB L2 Cache, 64-bit)
    • DISPLAY: 7.86-inch 2048 x 1536 (326ppi), 4:3, Corning® Gorilla® Glass 4, Anti-Smudge
    • GRAPHICS: Intel® HD Graphics
    • MEMORY: up to 4 GB LPDDR3-1600 SDRAM
    • STORAGE: up to 128 GB eMMC 4.51
    • WIRELESS: Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 802.11a/b/g/b/ac WiDi (2x2) WiFi and Bluetooth® 4.0 Combo; NFC; Optional HP lt4211 LTE/EV-DO/HSPA+ Qualcomm® Gobi™ 4G Mobile Broadband
    • PORTS: 1 USB-C™, 1 docking connector, 1 headphone/microphone combo
    • EXPANSION SLOTS: 1 Micro SDXC
    • CAMERAS: 2 MP HD front-facing; 8 MP HD rear-facing
    • AUDIO: DTS Studio Sound™, Dual front-facing stereo speakers
    • SENSORS: Accelerometer, eCompass, Gyroscope, Ambient light sensor, Hall effect, Haptics, Proximity (WWAN only)
    • SECURITY: Firmware TPM 2.0, Hardware TPM 1.2 support
    • SIZE: 5.39 x 8.14 x 0.33 in (137 x 207 x 8.35 mm)
    • WEIGHT: from 0.79 lb (360 g)
    • BATTERY: HP 2-cell, 21 WHr Lithium Polymer Battery
    • POWER SUPPLY: 15 W AC charging adapter with USB Type-C™ cable
    • WHAT'S IN THE BOX: Tablet, AC adapter, Quick Start Guide
    CONFIGURATIONS/PRICE (US)
    Many variations, from 2 GB RAM/32 GB eMMC @ $429 to 4 GB RAM/128 GB eMMC @ $599 (WWAN available at extra cost)​

ACCESSORIES
    HP Pro Tablet 608 Active Pen, $49
    HP Pro 8 Bluetooth Keyboard Case, $64
    HP Pro 8 Smart Cover, $49
    HP Pro Portable Tablet Dock, $189
    & more​

AVAILABILITY (as of 29 SEPT 2015)
    Windows 8.1 versions have been shipping since July. Windows 10 versions are yet to be shipped and the estimate is October 30, 2015, due to OS pre-installation issues.​

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
    cbutters and Mesosphere like this.
  2. dellaster

Comments were spread around three threads with non-specific titles. It was getting hard to remember what thread had what info, so here's a consolidated thread. I'll update the first post as more info comes in, such as real reviews. So far there's only hands-on previews.

As to my own 608, it's five days late shipping (ordered 21 AUG, supposed to ship 9 SEP). I called HP business support today and the fellow found out that it's expected to ship 30 SEP, he couldn't find out why. I'm guessing it's pre-installed Windows 10 Pro since I've yet to hear of anyone getting one with that configuration.

I intend to wait for it. There's nothing else out there now, or announced, or rumored, that hits the sweet spot for my needs/desires like the 608.

3. jazzman

jazzman Pen Pal - Newbie

AFAIK it is the only one with 4GB in 8" form factor, right? That's the biggest reason I would consider it... if it had 8 I would consider making it my main workstation for office work. I am still awaiting more peoples reviews (and win 10 model) and just not sure it is worth the $$$ upgrade from my V8Pro for basically the same use case. I don't really feel my v8Pro is "slow" so not sure I want to blow that money.

4. dellaster

The ThinkPad 8 can have 4 GB, if I recall correctly. No pen, however. And there's now a leak of Dell's 8-inch upgrade: Cherry Trail, Wacom AES pen, 1920x1200, Win10, and I would assume 4 GB RAM as an option. Might be more coming.

5. L_E_O

L_E_O Pen Pal - Newbie

New to the forums, and got here looking to dig up information on this specific tablet. Can't wait to get some actual user impressions.

6. dellaster

7. dellaster

I requested that the pen and quick charger be shipped together with my Pro Tablet 608, which is supposed to be ready to go on the 30th, but I guess they can't hold shipping for more than a month or something. Ordered AUG 21, shipped SEP 20. Regardless of the reason, I got the two accessories today.

I decided to take some photos in case there's anyone out there still interested in this device and its accessories.

[​IMG]
    The HP Pro Tablet 608 Pen in its packaging

[​IMG]
    A size comparison. That's the Fuji Q584's silo-sized Wacom stylus at the bottom.

[​IMG]
    The 18W Quick Charge, to avoid OTG cabling nonsense (if any such apply to USB-C).​

The pen feels surprisingly good in my hand but only real use with the tablet itself will show if I can live with it. The hole on the eraser end (no, there is no eraser function there) allows the included lanyard to be threaded. That may actually come in handy, if the Smart Cover doesn't have a pen loop—its photo suggested it did, but that could have been an illusion. We'll see when I get it. The Smart Cover was supposed to ship yesterday, was billed to me today, so maybe it'll ship later today or tomorrow and I'll have it by the weekend.

yéyé and thierryb like this.
  8. yéyé

yéyé Pen Pal - Newbie

I wonder if the pen's time lapse could be change. But I see hope for the locking off if empty even while charging : there is an alternative charging ! Very wise indeed.

9. dellaster

Yeah, I was pleased to see that the 608 has an alternative to USB for charging. And it's smart that they used the docking port for it, with a magnetic connector.

My Lenovo TPT2 will no longer charge, at all, on USB even if I leave it plugged in and turned off for two days. Fortunately I bought the overpriced docking accessory or the tablet would be trash.

My Q584 charges slowly through its USB2 port but can't begin to keep up when it's turned on. But I can use it forever when the dedicated charger is plugged in.

My AVTN8 would steadily discharge while on a 3A USB connection, if in use. And there's no alternative method of recharge. But then, I returned it because of the battery not charging past 86%, so maybe others do better.

I feel a lot better about the 608, as opposed to other 8" tablets, because of the alternative charging option. It helped make me decide to buy it.

10. cbutters

cbutters Scribbler - Standard Member

Have you tested how quick the stock AC adapter charges in comparison to the 18 Watt adapter? I have ordered the Tablet 608 and am curious.