HP Pavillion tx2500 - Good for art?

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Art, Jun 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aragonite

Aragonite New Member

I've been reading some things about the tx2500 and I've heard some complaints from artists about the having to press really hard to use the pen and it randomly recognized your hand instead of the pen. I'm really considering this tablet because I need a laptop for college and I'd like to take notes with it, but I'm also an artist and I want to make sure drawing on it feels just like drawing with a Wacom tablet. I played around with a tx1000 at Microcenter, and it seemed fine, but I wasn't using Photoshop. (I'm assuming they are similar.) Are there any other common problems I should be aware of as well? A few people seemed to have serious hardware issues.

2. octagonalman

octagonalman Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a tx2500z and quite satisfactory, though I'm more of a diagrams person than art. It is possible to disable the touchscreen via software so only the pen is active. Another possible thing to do is add an anti-glare filter and use Wacom felt tips for better feel. It is surprising that you were satisfied with the tx1000 - it has no active digitiser.

3. Art

Art Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't do art, but I do some random doodles and drawings now and again more out of fun than anything else. What I would say is that you'll need to watch out for the colours. The quality of the screen on the TX2500 isn't exactly great. The touch layer gives it a bit of grainyness which is easy enough to get used to, but it also makes the colours a bit washed out and seem a bit more vulnerable to viewing angles. I've done a few doodles on my TX2550, put them on a website and then looked at them using a desktop computer and they can seem very different to how they looked on the TX.

Like octagonalman said though, you can disable the finger touch (which is incredibly useful) and I wouldn't say you need that much pressure with the pen, it's fairly gentle in my opinion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.