HP Pavilion X2 (2016) 12 inch

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Cuberdon75, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Latcie

Latcie Pen Pal - Newbie

There seems to be no Wacom drivers for these right now. My pen pressure works in OneNote and Sketchbook Pro 6, but does not in Photoshop or Krita. I have tried drivers off of the official Wacom site as well as the HP Envy Note 8 and Elite x2 ones, but none worked.

Other thoughts:

1. As someone noted above, the trackpad is garbage, but I can work with it.
    2. The magnets on the keyboard are so strong, I feel like it could lop your fingers off.
    3. Battery life is disappointing. It's telling me I'm at 93% and have 5 hours to go. I just took it off the charger, too.
    4. Did a hard reset, and the screen rotation button is gone.
    5. A little difficult to hold in portrait mode, because it tapers to an edge.

I'm willing to field questions.

------EDIT---------

Keyboard registers phantom keystrokes. It closes chrome randomly when I press alt or ctrl, but not all the time. I've replaced it once, but the symptoms are persistent. This is a Microsoft Store edition, and even the demo unit exhibited this behaviour. So, 3 out of 3. I've updated to latest, but that didn't do the trick.

I will try HP support, but I don't expect to make much headway.

If this issue and the Wacom drivers don't come out in time, I will be returning this otherwise decent tablet.

----END EDIT----

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
    Jorari71 likes this.
  2. biswasd

biswasd Pen Pal - Newbie

Latcie,

Which pen or stylus model are you using?

And also, mine does not have the cntr/alt key issue that you are experiencing. I also got mine at the Microsoft store.

3. Latcie

Latcie Pen Pal - Newbie

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
    Jorari71 likes this.
  4. neten

neten Pen Pal - Newbie

A fresh review

5. Latcie

Latcie Pen Pal - Newbie

My brief review I posted on the Lenovo MIIX 700 thread as well. I wish I knew how to just link it there without quoting it in its entirety.

6. biswasd

biswasd Pen Pal - Newbie

hi latcie -

just got my hp active pen....it works in one note but sometimes, palm rejection goes to crap and the page starts to zoom in or out, etc. due to the palm setting off the screen movment.

i've noticed that unless the pen is millimeters away from teh tablet screen, pen looses "connection" with the tablet causing palm rejection to "stop".

Also, re: wacom drivers - i spent an hour on the phone with HP support, and there are no drivers.

this is unacceptable ---- one note is the only program where the stylus works consistently (and even then, it has the problems i cited above).

Re: HP Active Pen - it's simply too short (small) in size...no comfortable way to hold it and i kept hitting the side buttons when using it.

Compared to apple pencil, the HP active pen system is not good. The problem is.....ipad pro sucks for productivity.....other than notability.

Re: battery life - it's simply poor. very poor.....i can't use the screen with less than 75% brightness in my office.....and thus the battery lasts for about 3.5 hours max while taking notes in one note......vs. ipad pro lasts for approx 7.5 hours at 75% brightness of notetaking and email checking.....

I think i'm going to return this device ---- no wacom drivers, small stylus, and poor battery life ruined what could have been a truly terrific product.

7. Latcie

Latcie Pen Pal - Newbie

I agree with your assessment. i think the technology is just not there yet to provide what I, and it seems like you, are looking for. If you thought the pen was bad on the HP, the Lenovo is worse. I think it worked the best on the Envy Note 8. It was actually usable on that device, and it had the Wacom Feel drivers as well.

Battery life on all three devices, Pavilion, Note 8 and MIIX 700 have been nothing stellar, but I think this is the general trend. There is not a tablet out there that has decent battery life and good pen support at the same time. And I think this applies even to higher end models.

8. Retro_uk

Retro_uk Pen Pal - Newbie

So disappointing reading the negative comments here. I knew I'd have to accept some sacrifices at this price point. But as I want to use it as my daily machine, I think there are a few too niggly things that I'd have to live with that put me off.

So my search continues. I've never been a fan of Lenovo so I'm not sure where to look next. I do like the look of the Surface Pro's. But I just know that if I bought one with an M processor I'd be forever wishing I'd gone for the i5o r i7model instead. And prices start to get silly once you look at those.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition which is honestly awesome for drawing. So I think I'll stick with that for my sketching etc and start to look at convertibles that don't necessarily use a stylus. Shame really.

9. Jorari71

Jorari71 Pen Pal - Newbie

The pavilion X2 12 has disappeared from the Spanish website of HP.

10. Jorari71

Jorari71 Pen Pal - Newbie

And the stylus which comes with this tablet, is not the Wacom's one and it works really really bad.

This is the HP built in stylus andI can't do anything at all.

I'm a professional designer and I love this machine but it's not for drawing or painting,