HP Pavilion X2 (2016) 12 inch

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Cuberdon75, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Cuberdon75

Cuberdon75 Pen Pal - Newbie

2. alisaad619

alisaad619 Scribbler - Standard Member

and the pen is included in the box , HP is creating great 2in1s in every price segment ( a year ago I was not expecting this from hp)

I tried the 10 inch version of this device , and it was well built for a 300$ device

Cuberdon75 likes this.
  3. alisaad619

4. Cuberdon75

Right, but the Spectre x2 doesn't have a clamshell keyboard, making it less laptop-like. Big difference.

kvoram likes this.
  5. Ainu

Ainu Pen Pal - Newbie

I have it for a week now. Let me give a little review.

Screen: 1980x12xx feels right. It has the 3:2 aspect ratio and the extra vertical space is nice when in tablet mode. The touch screen is very responsive, also with the pen. When i hold it very loose with just two fingers at the top and try to touch the start button it opens the start menu. Hope that explains the responsiveness in a good way.

Difference between a surface pro 4: The main reason i wanted this one was because i was searching for a small laptop with all the things a hybrid has. And it is very similar to a laptop when you attach it to the keyboard. You don't need to pull out a hinge from the back of the tablet so it can stand on a table, like the surface pro's and similar hybrids this year. Also you don't get a weird magnetic keyboard that you need to "paste" to the screen. It really feels like a real laptop when attached. Good move from HP.

Keyboard/pen: The keys are responsive and they don't make much noise when typing. I really enjoy typing on it. The mouse pad is responsive too, but the left and right click may feel a little cheap when pressed. It's a hard click. Also you can press the mousepad on places where they don't do nothing. Like in the left and right mid of the mousepad. It is not a small mousepad though, just about right. The pen has a battery in it, so when you don't use it just let it attach to the magnets between the screen and keyboard.

Performance: I got the Core M3 cpu and it's fast for normal use. Feels very snappy when browsing, watching youtube etc. It boots up in about 10-15 seconds. There are a lot of benchmarks videos for this chip online already so watch those to get an impression for heavy programs.

Size: It's 21x30 cm. It's not big for a 12,1 inch screen but not small neither. The asus ux305 is 21x32cm i think, but has a 13 inch screen. It's because everything is built into the tablet part. Speakers too. Same goes for the weight. It's not heavy like a 15 inch laptop, but not light like a feather either, 1.4kg with the keyboard attached i think.

Temperatures: Because everything is built into the tablet part, there is no heat in the keyboard part. So it always feels cool on your lap. The tablet part feels warm on the right side, but you can hold it with no problems. I measure the cpu temps with HWmonitor. I'm browsing for 2 hours now and the temp is 30 degrees celsius. When gaming the temp goes op to about 70 degrees celsius. (half hour in game) I did see a video where someone was gaming on the surface pro 4 for 3 hours and the max temp was 51 degrees. The surface does have that hybrid cooling built in, which might explain the difference.

Charging: About 50% per hour. So you might think it's charged in 2 hours, which is great. But from 95% to 100% it slows down. That last 5% takes about 20 min. extra. I think that's normal for batteries, and you shouldn't charge it too 100% often anyways to prolong the life of the battery. Overall, a fast charge.

Battery life: I started browsing with 100% and with 50% brightness at 18:55 and it's now 21:18, so almost 2,5 hours and battery is now 56%. So that's about 20% per hour with 50% brightness. So about 5 hours battery life with normal browsing (including youtube). This is what i've been hitting on other days too. On 25% brightness this could go up to 6 hours. It's not bad for the 33 Wh battery that's in it. But if you want like 8 hours of browsing than i should check out the asus ux305. But you will loose the touch screen and pen ability in trade for 2/3 hours more.

In short: it's a nice all in one machine with it's touch screen and pen and it mimics a true laptop better than it's competitors because of the great keyboard combo. I wish it could hit 7 hours of web browsing, but the fast charging makes this up a little.

6. alisaad619

I agree, that is a huge difference (and it'll depend on personal preference, both designs have there advantages)

I would also add weight as an advantage for the pavilion , it's 750 grams compared to 840 grams for the Spectre, also it have a dedicated display port (micro hdmi) and a full size usb A

Cuberdon75 likes this.
  7. Cuberdon75

Thanks a lot! Sounds great.

8. senritsu01

senritsu01 Pen Pal - Newbie

I wonder if the pen is any good. It seems like Wacom isn't the same on all machines. From what I read it seems to perform better on some then others.

mathartist likes this.
  9. alisaad619

it's the same pen as the one with hp envy note 8

I guess you can know something from reading about envy note 8

10. alisaad619

Cuberdon75 and senritsu01 like this.