HP Pavilion tx2500 User Review

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Alex Clarke, Feb 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. christian m h

christian m h Pen Pal - Newbie

well AMD has been behind for a long time, acquiring ATI has not shown much benefit for them, does it seem like they have rather been bogged down due to their merger?

In mobile electronics:
    Obviously processor power (speed) and graphics(media) are main issues, with touch screen as coming up/part of graphics

DO you think if AMD can pull something off with their ATI merger they could bounce? Intel and NVDA are of course in front. I need to search around for this, AMD stock has gone way down and become cheap but it may just be the opportunity an investor is looking for, I know saw "AMD's chance to get back in the game" as a form topic or article.

This HP ts2500 graphics out performs the gateway C142XL?
    I am not sure, is the Gateway 140x in the benchmark dedicated 128mb with total 256mb acquirable? or 256mb dedicated?

2. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

I have a question that might be considered stupid...in the 3dmark05 the tx2500 has 2915 marks, yet in the 3dmark06 it has 1520, of what significance is that?

3. atom

atom Pen Pro - Atomic Member

3Dmark06 is a joke imo..

Inconsistency

4. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

and that analysis is based on??

5. Rex Orbis2

Rex Orbis2 I Bleed Black and Gold

It just means that theoretically newer games don't run as well. 3DMark06 runs more graphically intensive tests, so naturally the scores will be lower.

6. inferno

inferno Pen Pal - Newbie

I ordered mine with the 2.4 GHz processor and 8-cell battery. I should have it by the end of the week. It is in Alaska and on it's way to me near Sacramento. Let me know what, if any tests you guys want me to try on it.

I am second guessing my processor selection. I don't know if the performance improvement is going to be worth the extra heat or drain on the battery. But it's all good. I am usually very against laptops (extremely limited upgradeability). This is actually my first, so my expectations are pretty low, so at worst it should meet them :p

7. be77solo

be77solo Scribbler - Standard Member

Hey, good review man! I've had my TX2510 for a few days now, and gotta say I agree with most of what you said. I am coming from a TX2110, and prior to that a TX1499, so fairly familiar with the design and layout. Very impressed with the 2510 though, it does seem to run noticabley cooler than that last 2 I had, not by anything huge, but a bit so. But, heat was never a huge issue for me anyway, as I'm used to big desktop replacements that have dual GPU's and top of the pile CPU's... those throw off some heat!

But, on a side note to some other posts, the screen really isn't that bad at all. So, the comment that asked if you could actually see the improved graphical performance is a bit off... of course you can HA! It's a bit grainy, but like mentioned in the review, games look great on it, and thanks to the new HD3200, I can run in native 1280x800, which look gorgous on the screen! All the Source games, portal, half life, etc, on high and native and look great with FPS in the 30-60+ range. IL2 Sturmovik, a flight sim game I enjoy, runs awesome and looks great! Grand Theft Auto's run perfect, good stuff for an integrated GPU! As a test I did try Bioshock, just to see exactly how far it can be pushed, and it's actually playable... not perfect, and have to drop settings and resolution to get an acceptable framerate, but with some tweaking and a little time playing with settings, will definatetly be totally playable and enjoyable. It's all relative, but that alone is a huge change for the same price that the TX2000's were selling for. Other media and video, as mentioned in the review, runs great too.

Sorry, went on a little rant there, but for the money I think it's a heck of a machine! But, I enjoyed the TX1000's, LOVED the TX2000's with the addition of the Wacom screen, and the 2500's are nice improvement on that by a good bit.

8. miner

miner Scribbler - Standard Member

There is a new version of CPU-Z out which supports the Griffin/Puma platform...
    http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

Could you post some screenshots using the new one??

Thanks.

9. Rex Orbis2

Rex Orbis2 I Bleed Black and Gold

[​IMG]

In powersaver mode it sits at 525MHz regardless of the load. HP recommended sits at 525MHz until there is activity and goes up to 1000MHz and then 2100MHz depending on load. High performance makes the cpu sit at 1000MHz all the time and ups it to maximum depending on the load.

10. NamelessPlayer

NamelessPlayer Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I thought the tx2000 would have been my closest to ideal Tablet PC, but they then one-up themselves with a model that bears a significantly improved GPU-something I'll definitely use for the sake of gaming, even though it won't hold a candle to my desktop.

The only things that worry me are battery life and price. As for the former, I'll venture into Pocket PC territory for a moment and bring up the Dell Axim X50v/X51v and the HP iPAQ hx4700. I initially preferred the former at first because of the far superior GPU and having a traditional D-Pad, but after giving the hx4700 a chance, I found that I preferred its vastly superior battery life (assuming that both handhelds have stock batteries) and even the trackpad for PDA uses (particularly navigating Web sites in cursor mode). In other words, better hardware does me no good if it doesn't last very long...however, in the case of a laptop, I could easily find myself playing games quite often as opposed to a PDA due to the greater processing power and game library available.

As for price, that mostly has to do with how I'd be lucky to afford an old model like the TC1100 at the moment, let alone a tx2000 or tx2500. (OTOH, using a TC1100 as the price benchmark for old Tablet PCs may be a bit unfair given how well its value has been retained compared to other models of its era. I can only wonder why...maybe it's because of the unique design that isn't quite like all the convertibles or pure slates out there?)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.