HP Pavilion tx2500 First Look Review

Discussion in 'News Headlines' started by Jerry Jackson, Jun 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kapblp

kapblp Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes. AMD + ATI = Puma. So as I said, basically beefed up graphics on the TX2K platform.

2. celeron_266

celeron_266 Pen Pal - Newbie

no webcam??

oh nevermind i see the webcam now

3. leslie1

leslie1 Pen Pal - Newbie

Is there a difference between tx2500 and tx2500z?

4. Wongway

Wongway Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, I have/use a TX1220US at the moment...

To be honest, from using and playing with even the TX2000 series, these aren't the most impressive performing notebooks/tablets I've seen out there.

All that aside however, one really needs to know exactly what to expect when getting into one of these notebooks/tablets.

The biggest selling point of these laptops for me is, 80% of the performance of my desktop (not counting gaming performance) in a much smaller, easy to transport package, that I can write on and take notes on in a pinch.

So, to hear of these improvements, the only honest opinion I can say at the moment is that they're nice.

I can only hope that the Puma chipset offers better gaming performance if I want it to play simpler games like maybe WoW, Team Fortress, or something similar that isn't overly demanding on the hardware.

Great as the HD capabilities are supposed to be in this notebook, the only minor quibble I can think of (and this is really minor, since I don't necessarily believe that the demand or need for this is really big) is to have an HDMI output coupled with a blu-ray ROM ability in the drive.

What I'm really waiting for, is to see how the performance of this release stacks up with the ever increasing power of today's Intel equipped notebooks. As it is, as much as I like AMD, I'll be the first to admit that AMD's processor power is nowhere as capable as Intel's current crop of CPU's.

Its because of this that, as wonderful the features in HP's TX series of notebooks/tablets are, its somewhat disappointing to know that you can't (so far) expect a huge performance level out of these computers.

On the positive side, it IS nice to have a company like HP offer a tablet/notebook at this price level with the features that are available in it. So far, there hasn't been a tablet I can find with this type of feature/price/performance ratio out on the market. Lots of compromises needed to be made to get a tablet like this out on the market. I'm honestly hoping that Puma makes the current set of compromises seem less like one.

5. mobilebuddha

mobilebuddha Pen Pal - Newbie

I actually don't mind the speed of tx2000 series. it's the heat that i'm more concerned with. if 2500 series resolves that problem, it's 1 big step forward already.

better CPU performance & graphics performance, that's just icing on the cake for me.

6. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

heat output might be worse, not better. Puma is made with the same fab process (65nm) as the current Tyler TL series Turions. The TDP for Puma is listed as 32~35W, a slight increase from Tyler's 31~35W.

On top of that, the GPU is probably gonna be putting out more heat since it's got more transistors/power too.

7. number2jcb

number2jcb Pen Pal - Newbie

I just bought mine today:

AMD Turion(TM) X2 Ultra Dual-Core Mobile
    Processor ZM-86 (2.4 GHz)
    12.1" diagonal WXGA High-Definition HP BrightView
    Widescreen (1280 x 800) w/Integrated Touch-screen
    3GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
    ATI Radeon(TM) HD 3200 Graphics
    HP Imprint Finish (Echo) + Microphone + Fingerprint
    Reader + Webcam
    Wireless LAN 802.11a/b/g/n and Bluetooth
    50% OFF 250GB 5400RPM from 160GB 5400RPM!!
    SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer
    8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery

1312 out the door. (found a coupon for use with Paypal).

I almost bought the tx2000 last friday. Man, would I be pissed today...

8. Shogmaster

I really doubt those who got the TX2000z for $850 (and even less a week before) is pissed today. The better built in graphics and new FSB scheme is hardly worth $300+ more.

9. atom

atom Pen Pro - Atomic Member

Should I get a

tx2000z or the Gateway C141x? The latter is only $750 on Gateway's website.

10. Shogmaster

You you need to carry it around everywhere alot? Then get the TX2000z. If you don't as much, then get the C-141X. Easy decision.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.