HP Pavilion TX2500 and Windows 8 (Drivers included)

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Markos, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Markos

Markos Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,

I recently bought a HP Pavilion TX2500 and intermediately installed Windows 8 on it (bought it used and installed with Vista)
    I use a official Windows 8 download given by Microsoft (e-mail). I tried to install Windows 8.1 directly but my Key only works on Win8 so I had to upgrade afterwards (what is kinda annoying because this takes extra time)
    I do have some activation problems because I first used Windows 8 on my main laptop, but for normal use Windows 8 sucks.. So I went back to Win7. But installing it on an other laptop it will give the message I already had it installed, so I need to call to fix that... -.-

But anyhow. Most things work out of the box. I use Windows 8 32bit. (Couldn't choose, windows did this automatically. Maybe because I only have 4GB memory)

Even the touchscreen works (pen and finger) work OTB. But it isn't super responsive (mainly finger isn't). But I can use my fingers to scroll and swap between screens. I can activate the side swap menu at the left and right side of windows (I don't know how this is called. On the right side for example to get the menu to choose between Search, Share, Start, Devices and Settings) And the pressure sensitivity works with the native Windows 8 drivers (only tested this in OneNote). But this pressure sensitivity didn't work in Photoshop, so I decided to install the latest TabletPC wacom drivers. Both input seem to work better. With pen it is not really noticeable, except the ability to use pressure sensitivity in PS. But the finger response is much much better. I can swap from left to right much better and smoother in the Metro page of Windows (without this driver it didn't scroll sometimes and just opened the program my finger was on when I tried to sweep). But the big disadvantages are: I can't get the side swap menu's on the left and right side. I will need to use my pen or mouse to get this menu. And when I sweep (from L>R or R>L) on apps, it doesn't scroll, but it goes back to the Metro page. So this is kinda annoying, because now I can't use most of the apps.

I installed the latest AuthenTec AES1610 fingerprint driver I could find because I thought it didn't work, but apparently I had to activate it in a submenu somewhere. So I guess this also works out of the box.

My WiFi card also kinda works OTB, but not great. It download has massive spikes, so it is kinda unusable. I have a Broadcom 4322AG WiFi adapter, and I can't find proper drivers for Windows 8. So I think I will buy a new adapter if I can't find a proper working adapter.
    Ethernet works great, no drivers installed for that one.

For the buttons on the screen lid I used the HP Quick Launch-buttons. (Atleast I think those drivers activated these buttons, they won't work OTB). But not all of the buttons work. Only the screen orientation button and settings button works. The DVD and the button next to it (refresh??) don't response and I don't know how to assign them (or if it is possible). I didn't test the rewind-play/pause-forward-stop yet. I will come back on that later.

The IR-sensor can be used when you use the ENE CIR Receiver Driver given by HP. The remote works (only tested volume-/+ and mute)

This is my quick first impression of the TX2500. I will add more info when I find something noticeable. If you have some questions I will (try) to answer them too. I will place the drivers I used on the bottom of this post.

But... I have 2 question I hope some of you can help me with. Especially the first one:
    1. How can I fix the problem with the Metro interface. So I can get the desired menu when I sweep on the right edge and left edge to get the Windows 8 menu. (see figure below). And prevent Windows from going back to the Metro interface when I sweep in running apps.
    2. Does anyone know how to fix the instability of my Broadcom 4322AG, I haven't found any working drivers yet..

[​IMG]

Used drivers:
    AuthenTec AES1610t:
    * Can't find the download link atm, but I used version 3.4.4.84 (2012-10-11)
    HP Quick Launch-buttons:
    HP Quick Launch-knoppen | HP®-ondersteuning
    Version: 6.50.12.1 (2009-12-09) [sp46731.exe]
    ENE CIR Receiver Driver (IR for remote):
    ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp45001-45500/sp45308.html
    Version: 1.00 rev:A (2009-09-25) [sp45308.exe]
    Wacom TebletPC driver:
    Dual Touch | Wacom Americas
    Version: 7.1.2-9 (2013-10-07) [ISD_DualTouch_712-9.exe]

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
    2.0™ likes this.
  2. Markos

Markos Pen Pal - Newbie

Hmm I thought (hoped) there would be more people around here with the TX2500 (or TX2000/TX100) with Windows 8

3. Nicholas8681

Nicholas8681 Scribbler - Standard Member

The tx2000 burned alive for a lot of us. I opted out of the tx2500 for that reason. Give it time someone is likely to respond.

2.0™ likes this.
  4. Markos

Markos Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a new installation of Win 8 running after using Win 7 for a while. I got them now both running next to each other.
    This time I actually didn't install any driver (except the quick launch buttons, but it isn't really needed if you don't use the buttons)

But.. the problem I have at the moment is that I prefer not to use the Wacom drivers. I prefer to use the Windows 8.1 native drivers. But I would like to use pressure sensitivity in Photoshop. I got CS3 running but I don't know if it's possible to get it working without using the Wacom drivers. Is there some kind of hack or regedit which let me use this pressure sensitivity?
    Or are there other versions of Photoshop that supports pressure sensitivity without the Wacom drivers? I read somewhere that CS1 works without the Wacom drivers. Is this true? And if so, are there also other versions which let me use pressure sensitivity?

So summarized:
    1. Is there a way to make the pressure sensitivity working without the Wacom TabletPC drivers? (So with native Windows 8 drivers)
    2. Are there versions of Photoshop (e.g. CS1) which have pressure sensitivity working without the Wacom TabletPC drivers?

5. 2.0™

2.0™ Been Inkin' Staff Member

I had one of these and put Win7 on it. Lasted for 20-22months before the CPU heat warped the ZIF socket. It was a great little tablet.

But moved on to a Elitebook 2760P.

I'm just amazed that Markos was able to get Win8 on it. Good Job Markos.

6. WickedGirl

WickedGirl Pen Pal - Newbie

I know this is an older thread, but I wanted to add some info for anyone still needing help. i have installed both Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 on my HP tx2500 with no issues at all with the Broadcomm Wireless card. The native driver installed by Windows works perfectly, and I routinely get an indication of 300 Mbps on the 5Ghz channel of my router using this card. That is even after I had to superglue one of the little tabs back on the card after it came off when I was disassembling the laptop to send it to an eBay person to reball the CPU/GPU after it desoldered itself due to the heat issue everyone suffered with this laptop. Once I got it back, everything was back to normal, and all for $100!

The only driver that is not recognized properly by Windows 8/8.1 for me is the ENE CIR Receiver (the infrared receiver). I suspect installing the Vista or Win 7 driver from HP will solve the issue. I also suspect that although there is no indication of a problem that my touch screen and WACOM drivers are not at 100%. I seem to have read somewhere that these do not function fully in Windows 8 on this unit no matter what you do. Cheers!